Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Cantitoe Road did point out that their stuff isn't compatible with Stan's. So their catalyst injector, and flat fix cartridge only works with their own sealant.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    They let me keep the tire sealant. But I just started testing some new lighter weigh tires. It seems that my range is better. with those that don't have the flat protection layer. I've done my 22 mile lunch ride and returned home showing a full battery. Not very precise but not what I was used to either.

• Retrorockit
    replied
    A strange plot twist here. I ordered some Sunflower based drip wax chain lube "Mariposa Flowerpower". Sounds weird but gets great reviews at Zero friction Cycling. Instead they sent me a liter of Mariposa iCaffelatex tubeless tire sealant (contains no natural latex hmmmmmmmm). The label has very little info but repeated in 5 languages (24 for the" keep away from children" part). Race Ready, Lightweight, and "Foaming Behavior". So it foams up to fill the whole tire. Seals up to 5mm holes. Needs to be replaced more often than others. IDK yet if they want me to return it or not. But I'm out of tire goo, so his may be the "next big thing".
    I suspect that Cantitoe Road may be the only US vendor so far. They seem to specialize in Wippermann chains and that's where I met them. So top tier cycling stuff there.
    I haven't tried this yet, so not a product plug. Just an interesting option.

They also have a catalyst injector for fixing localized holes up to 10mm.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-13-2023, 08:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I've got some time riding the regular casing E50 tires with the Tannus and the Stan's and it feels better in turns. It seems like the tires are riding smoother, and gripping better due to that.
    Unfortunately the lighter tires cost the same as the flat prevention version, so no cost offset for doing that.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    They will probably need trimming to get down to 4.0. maybe cut a little extra for 3.8 if needed. But knobby tread, and flat protection layer make them a little bigger than listed sizes.(The tire is actully smaller inside where the liner goes.) You might ask Tannus. of course the safest bet would be the 4.0 tires.

• 73Eldo
    replied
    I was thinking about ordering some today and noticed that the only size that is close to what I need is 26x4.0-4.8. Next size down is 2.0-2.5. I have been running a mix of 3.8 and 4.0 tires, mostly 3.8's. Whats or best guess on the sizing? Would I be OK with the 4.0's in the 3.8 tire?

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I need speed and acceleration Fatbikes aren't known for those things. Also I converted a bike that was already adapted for how I ride. The Tannus will add some weight and cost some acceleration. I went to lighter tires and gained it back. Fatbikes have a problem with rear tire bounce at speed, and the tannus may help with that. It made a big difference on my HT, Smoothed things out enough to seriously get rid of all the fender and rack rattles. Better suspebsion damping ,which is a neat trick with no suspension. I'm curious about this too, but no atbike for me.

• 73Eldo
    replied
    Do you ever ride a fat bike? Handling and mass are quite different game there anyway so I'm curious if you have any guesses how the liners would be on a fat bike? I'm considering at least one for the rear of my fat bike. The tires I have been running are really easy to get on and off so I don't expect the liners to be too bad to install. One area of concern is to clear my speed sensor I have to deflate the tire so its narrower than my 80mm wide rims. I wonder if the liner and tire will squish that far? It would just be one more big hassle to have to remove the speed sensor every time I have to remove the rear wheel.

The note about reduced air pressure is also curious how that would apply to a fat bike. Summer I'm only running about 18psi and winter can be around 10 so I would not think I would be dropping 10 off those numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I got a couple rides in on this. The bike seems quicker off the line. The physics of less weight at the outer diameter predicts this. I was kind of surprised that during a high speed run the bike rides much better. The tires seem more supple without the thick flat protection layers.This was on a choppy concrete 10' wide walled in Greenway. So not only did the Tannus make the bike ride better, getting rid of the thick heavy tires did too.

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I broke down the rear Tannus today. The tire was mostly worm ,and I wanted to switch over to the lighter Big Ben instead of the Big Ben Plus with the flat protection layers. I t seemed redundant with the Tannus in there. Went to the Big Ben in the front too with tubeless filled tubes there. This should mostly make up for the weight of the Tannus It was a PITA to set the Tannus up, but breaking it down again wasn't much trouble. It wasn't as slippery as when new, and it had conformed itself around the tube. It came out with the tube and went back in the same way. No real difficulty. I did find a big lump of sealant had formed inside the tube. I hadn't checked for this in the front. The bike has been parked for a while. I don't recall if I had Orange Seal, or Stan's in there. I had some of each at the time. I din't need any zip ties or fancy language to put it back together.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I've been getting really brave with the tubeless tubes. Riding my XC bike with the thin slicks and no repair junk with me.
    I'm glad i was paying attention to that bike right now. I did a search for Salsa Relish and got a hit on an air/oil rear shock for it. This was a proprietary shock that was only sold with a bare frame Salsa Dos Niner 29" bike over 10 years ago.. Last one I saw was $180. Got one for $60.I can finally get rid of the cheesy elastomer suspension in the rear.
    Now that I've gloated about the sealed tubes I'd better start carrying some protection. Also it's wet which makes cuts more likely.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-11-2023, 09:31 AM.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I do really well with stans but trying a different sealant more intended for agricultural/off-road in my rear... it's very different than the stans so we'll see - the stans is really thin and this stuff is almost like molasses

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I'm finding that for flat protection the Notubes in the tubes seems to work OK and I can run tires w/o the flat protection layers to get the weight back down.
    I had some Mag wheels with Tannus and Continental 26x1.75 E-50 rated tires for an FS bike. They have a freewheel. I wanted to give them a shakedown run on my pedal bike. Removed the 24 spoke Mavic Crossrides with 2" Notubed Slicks and stuck the mags on. With the softtail XC frame and the Tannus the rear rode just as smooth as the front over sidewalk edges. But I sure paid for the extra weight and rolling resistance at the end of a 22 mile ride. Took another identical ride with the Mavics to confirm. When I got worn out the pedal and coast routine really wasn't working very well. Much better to just roll easier in the first place w/o a motor. The Mavics had to come off due to a sticky freehub from being neglected for the Ebike.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 06-11-2023, 07:50 AM.

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I had a Schwalbe 50% coupon for a couple Energizer Plus tires I sent back. No full refund because I had mounted them. So I used it to get a couple of the Ebike rated Big Ben tires w/o the extra flat protection layers of the Plus tires.. I have an extra uncut Tannus if needed. I'll do both tires because that gets me back where I started for tire weight. I think the sealed tubes will be OK for the front. I'm definitely sticking with Tannus in the rear on the HT bike.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Of course the Stan's Notube sealant in the tubes weighs even less, so I run that in the front.
    So 2x BB+ and 1 Tannus 935+935+300=2170g. 2xBB 760+760+300= 1820g. The tire sealant isn't weightless but I'm going to run it in front either way, so it isn't a variable here. So it's actually possible by using non flat protected tires and better flat protection (I've had number of flats with Schwalbe protected tires) it's possible to make up the weight of the rear Tannus. Of course using just Sealant at both ends would weigh even less, but I would give up the ride and handling advantage of the Tannus on the hardtail. FWIW the basic BB comes in several clownish colors. They weigh almost as much as the BB+ without the added protection. Only the black ones with a higher thread count carcass weigh what I show here. Schwalbe NA list the weight and spec. of all their tires.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-27-2023, 06:19 AM.
Working...
X