Display Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display Upgrade

Hi all, new to e-bike. Just purchased ViVi 350 Watt/36 volt mountain bike. It came with a KBY-DISP KD26E display that I would like to upgrade to a compatible LCD display with more functionality (maybe KBY-DISP KD21C or equivalent). I can't find manufacturer of motor controller on unit but it is a Brushless Motor Controller Model X035-AAM002 (Battery Voltage: 36V, Cutoff Voltage: 29V, Current Limit: 15A, Display Meter: 5S). From display manual, communication protocol appears to be UART/Analog. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, Ed

Its hard to say what would work. I looked in the manual from this link...

View and Download Key-Disp KD26E user manual online. Bicycle Display. KD26E bicycle accessories pdf manual download.

And it looks like the wiring is not the same as all the fancy Bafang displays. You could cut the connector and criss cross the wiring to match on a female version of this connector, but that doesnt mean that your controller will run any of the fancy displays. So you have to hunt thru forums to see if any body else has actually tried this. But I highly doubt it. People looking for better displays are usually looking for an entirely better setup than the 36v situation.

Comment

I've upgraded the K26E to the KD21C. Purchased directly from KBY-DISP. They loaded the parameters that were on the original KD26E. However, Vivi shipped an upgraded KD26E and KBY-DISP could not find the latest parameters. Trying to get information from mfgr. is like pulling teeth. Everything on new display works except speed/distance related. I've asked mfgr. for controller wiring diagram and parameter settings. I've also asked Truckrun (motor mfgr.) for wiring diagram to see if there even is an internal speed sensor. Nothing from either mfgr. Bought a small GPS speedometer which will give me the info I want and I can also get it from my Garmin Edge 1040, but having everything on the KD21C would be a nice convenience.

Comment

So you had a KD26e and you bought a KD21C. But they sent you an "upgraded" KD26E. I am assuming that you wrote that wrong. I guess you ment they sent you the KD21C with parameters that are supposed to work for you. Assuming that's what you ment, on your new display, your saying PAS changes are working, and the lights go on and off with the Light indicator on the screen. Just trying to establish what is and isn't working.

Heres the manual for your new display. Its got all kinds of parameters you can set that your other display don't have.
        https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=10#manual

This link starts right on the parameter page and you can see that you have all kinds of crazy key combinations to go thru the parameters. Up and down key for 2 seconds, then down and M key for 2 seconds, Etc, etc. You will have to go thru all of those parameters and see if they are right for your bike. Go thru all that and make a note of which ones confuse you then post back. We can likely get you thru this.

That old display you had didn't even have a speed or miles indicator. So if you don't have a speed sensor on your wheel, your not going to be getting speed or distance readings. They don't put those sensors in the motor. Has to be a magnet on a wheel spoke and it passes close to a sensor on rotation. You could add a sensor, but there has to be unused plugs hanging out of the controller. And you would have to post a picture of the controller and all the connectors since nothing is popping up for X035-AAM002 to see which plug could be speed sensor.
        Last edited by stts; 11-30-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I have been assisting my old school LBS with some e-bike repairs. They have aquired a VIVI F26F (26x4 fat tire) with the KD21C display but it will not turn on. Battery is good. The harness IS providing battery voltage (48vdc) to the display, but not on the same pins as the Bafang pin-out. As stated, it is nearly impossible to get these mfgs to provide any product literature, unable to get pin-out sheets for anything.
          A new display has been ordered from VIVI (directly from china) and should be here soon. The display can be ordered from Ali Express or a few other vendors for much cheaper, but the plug end is different and who knows if it is "flashed" with the proper files.
          Looks like it may be a good candidate for a BBSHD. If we are unable to make it work, it will be mine for pretty cheap!

Comment

I did download the manual for the KD21C and it does show the 5 pin layout of the display.
            pin 1 - v+
            pin 2 - lock
            pin 3 - v-
            pin 4 - rx
            pin 5 - tx
            So I would think jumping pin 1 to pin 2 would be similar to bypassing the bafang display (jump p to p+) but I am not wllng to do this since it does not belong to me. So I opted to purchase the display.

Comment

These displays use that flat connector which is easier to put a meter on than the Bafang connectors. If you got a meter you can use, you can test the signals and know better what is going on. If your sure theres battery voltage, then you can put the meter on like 100VDC or more, then put the Black lead on V- and the Red lead on V+. You should get a good voltage there. Maybe even the actual battery pack voltage. If you don't, then you have an issue with the wiring further back, or the controller has a problem, or your battery has a problem.

If you do get a good voltage on your reading, then move the Red lead to pin 2. Black lead is still pin 3. Then push and hold the M button on display for 2 seconds. You should get a reading change on the meter. If you started with voltage then it should go off. If it had no voltage then it should go on. Push M again and it flips the other way. If you cant get any significant change in voltage reading, then the display could be bad.

For one last test, hook the Red lead of the meter back to Pin 1. Then move the Black lead to Pin 2. Now repeat the M button activation several times. You should see significant reading changes on your meter. If you don't, then for sure the display or the wiring to it is bad. You can try wigling the display wire around where it goes into the display, or any other spot that looks like a kink or damage. But baring any other change in display status, you are headed for trying another display.

This meter test is WAY better than just jumpering the pins together. Because we don't know for sure if the display is shorting pins 1 and 2. The display could be getting battery voltage, and then sending back regulated 5Volts on pin 2 when the display turns on. Then shorting would be a disaster. Or the display could be shorting pin 2 and 3 when turned on. That's what the 3rd paragraph I posted tests for. So in this stuff, when you don't really know, never assume. Just meter test for what the bike is actually doing. You will get rock solid results without any assumption risks. Use sharpened paper clips stuffed in where the wiring goes into the connector and clip leads on the paper clips to hook up your meter probes if you can't stuff the probes into where the wires go in. Or hold the meter on while somebody else works the M button.

Comment

My voltage readings did not match the pin out. I read no volts on pin 1 to 3. However, I did have full battery voltage on other pins. Did not document my findings but no volt reading on pins 1 to 3. The existing display does have the water proof joliet connectors like bafang so it is difficult to test. Used small guage wire stuffed into the female side of connector (green 5 pin) coming from controller. I believe the controller side of the harness has the flat molex type connectors but would need to ohm out the harness to determine which wires go to the display. New display is in Baltimore, so I should have it soon.
                . Thanks for the tips.
                Now after reading my post, no volts on pin 1 to 3 should give me the same results unless the pin out is wrong. We shall see.

Comment

Yea your post confuses me too. So your bike has the flat connector and your display has the round joliet connector. So since they cant plug into each other, the display cant be turned on. And there is going to be no voltage on the round joliet because its not plugged in. I can only say I hope they send you a display that has the flat connector. Or it wont plug into the controller. You will have to cut the connectors off and wire them together. And no voltage on pins 1 and 3 makes no sense to me. Especially if you have voltage on the other pins. That means its not really pins 1 and 3 you measured. If other pin has power then pin one has to have power. You need to write all the pins down on paper that you check and the voltage that you saw. And posted pictures of what you are measuring would be a big help in figuring out what is going on. I had no clue you have 2 different connectors to deal with. That display you have may not even be for that bike, for all I know.

Comment

Let me clarify, the existing KD21C has the five pin green joliet connector that plugs into the harness along with brake cut outs, throttle, horn and light buttons, etc...all with joliet connectors. I don't recall now wether the controller end of the harness was 8 pin or the flat slide on connectors. There were lots of those in the controller enclosure as well.
                    That being said, the new display has arrived with the appropriate connector and the bike is fully functional. The LBS owner is happy and expects to make a considerable profit.

Comment

• stts
                      stts commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well that's good that it all worked out. Hopefully the original poster is on track to sort his issues out too.
                  Working...
                  X