Bob Ibex trailer -- Custom Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Ibex trailer -- Custom Rack

Been thinking of how to sort out some of the more bulky things I will be taking on my bike camping/touring trips. So far the most bulky is the 21 lb. generator. I will be buying a cot tent to take the place of my single man pup tent, but I think that will just strap on top of everything as it will be pretty light. So, one of my thoughts was to make a mounting plate that would easily attach it to my back bike rack. Just installed the Thule racks and panniers on front and rear and set the generator up there. I don't like it. So, next place to look is on or in the Bob trailer. I've purposely loaded this trailer up with alot of my old, heavy/bulky camping gear, plus the generator and took it on a little 16 mile ride. Tows just fine and I know I could add another 30 or even 40 lbs on there if needs be. But, I don't see the room to do that. Since I am always modifying everything anyways, figured I'll make a nice rack to mount above the rear wheel on this trailer. One of our companies has a fab shop, so I think I'll design and build a light weight rack I can carry this generator and maybe a couple other small things on. Post some pics as I get going on this. Hopefully not too long.

-Rodger

Just a couple shots here at the shop. I think I might just use some tig welded electrical conduit to make this rack out of. I can sort of follow the design of the Bob trailer this way and once it's done I can sandblast and epoxy/urethane coat it to compliment the trailer and tie it to my bikes color. Should look real nice I think.

Comment

Had some time this afternoon so I did a bit of fabing the trailer rack. I think it will be nice once done. I am also making a mount system for the generator that will occupy this rack most of the time. Tacked up, now need to weld it. Think I'll just mig weld it. I need to find some strobing LED's for the rear of the rack. Don't want to find someone's blind spot, so the lights might help with that. More pic later.

Comment

sweet looking set-up! which motobecane is that?

Comment

ah, now i see it-motobecane cafe express

Comment

Originally posted by limhrod View Post
            sweet looking set-up! which motobecane is that?
            Thanks, I like it. Only wish it came with front shocks.

Comment

Welding all finished on the rack tubing, now I have to cut some expanded metal for the top and weld that in along with some rings I'll weld on the expanded metal for the rubber generator feet to set in. Also have to engineer a cam-lock system to lock it down w/padlocks. This generator setup is being done this way so it can actually be running while I am biking if necessary. Wiring will also be installed on the trailer to plug into bike wiring that will power lights to the trailer and power from the generator to the bike to allow the charger to run and charge the battery while biking. Don't know how much I will use it this way, but I will have the option to as necessary on longer treks. I suppose these will be the last pictures until the trailer is completed, fully sandblasted, epoxy coated and clear coated. May do some molding on the rack after sandblasting, I'll decide that after I see it sandblasted. For those not familiar with that term, that is where all connects are bondoed and blended. My older brother use to do this for all the bike gangs back in the day. I did a few with him, but it is quite slow and tedious to do. Makes a frame look fully molded though, so it's very nice to look at.

Comment

• limhrod
                limhrod commented
                Editing a comment
                i want one!! wonder how much it'd cost to get one locally? might be the excuse i need to learn how to weld.. man o man i love the thought of being able to charge while underway. so i'm guessing that is possible? no fancy electrical tricks? and does that mean that its possible to solar charge while riding as well??

Looking really good. Nice to see some innovative build threads coming to this forum.

Comment

Thanks for the likes. As to charging while riding, just plug your charger into your battery and turn on your bikes controller and see if it comes on. Mine does, so I'd pretty much expect any to, as charging the battery really should not bother the controller in any way I know of. Solar - I gave that a lot of thought and did a bunch of research. Unfortunately, it really is too expensive to build a full charging unit that will charge at the speed you normally do using the AC outlet. It's in the $1,0000's and that is too much for me. My generator weighs less the the solar would, cost under $400, works night and day, and uses about 1/10 a gallon an hour while charging. To me, that only makes sense (not dollars, HA!).

Comment

Taking little bits of time now to work on this. Got the expanded metal welded on the rack and the standoff foot cups welded on the expanded metal. Had to modify how the rubber feet are held on the generator by substituting the screws that self-threaded into the plastic with 10-24 stainless machine screws that I tap through the existing mounting holes. Basically this gave me bolts to slide the rubber feet on and then I used lock washers and nuts to hold them on. There is about 1/2" of exposed bolt thread on that so I fabricate a 10-24 standoff with a welded washer on it to fasten the generator to the rack. Coming up from the bottom of the rack with this, they tighten up to pinch the feet nicely tightened down to into the standoff cups. This locks the generator solidly to the rack, which can still be removed by unscrewing the standoff-washers again. All in all a pretty slick way to put the generator on and off this rack as needed. Next work week I hope to find the time to finish this off. Rode the bike pulling the trailer with the attached generator home from the shop. Really nice, if not a bit top heavy though. Trailer was empty other the the 21 lb. generator setting atop the trailer wheel though. Once the trailer is loaded, I don't there will be any top heaviness at all. Got some people looking kinda weird at me though -- No accounting for taste I guess, HA!
                  Last edited by marjamar; 09-18-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Rack is finished, all the wiring yet to do. Loaded up my panniers with some some to take home from the shop. Put them in the Bob Trailer to offset the generator a bit and to get a feel for how it will ride. Still feels top-heavy, but those panniers were on the bike the last time I rode with the trailer attached, so that weight was only transferred from the bike to the trailer. Not a fair test, as that added weight on the bike would have also offset the top-heavy effects to the bike. May need to look at putting a stabilizer from the bike to the trailer to dampen the trailer pivoting a little. Might be fine once everything is loaded as it will be when actually going out on a camping trip. Anyway, happy to have the rack all done. Here a couple pics I took when I got home today.

Comment

Got the trailer lights all wired and working and took a spin with the empty trailer. Just about don't know it's on there when empty. I have ordered a motorcycle steering damper I will attach between the trailer, and the trailer tongue. I hope this will help with the tippy feeling I get with the generator on the trailer. I can control the bike fine, but I am not happy about the less than smooth and straight ride that comes with that generator on there. We'll see. Here's a couple pics with the trailer empty on the bike.

Comment

Just went on a little 5 mile ride with my generator charging the bike during the ride. I was curious as to how much charging at 300 watts would help the battery while riding. Not scientific at all, but I was having fun for the whole ride, as I didn't pedal at all. Never stopped but twice at stop signs for a few seconds apiece, otherwise full speed ahead. Couple of slight hills, but for the most part pretty flat ride. Most of the time I was doing 30 MPH, just over, just under. My battery was at 53.4 as I recall before the ride and it was 50.5 when I got back. So I sucked up about 3 volts for whatever that's worth. Motor was hot enough to not hold your hand on it comfortably, but no where hot enough to burn. Battery pack was maybe a best a couple degrees warmer than ambient. Generator just hummed along quietly the whole time. Fun. Felt different and nicely nerdie for the spectators to look at, HA!

Comment

Just an observation. Do really trust that kickstand with all the weight? Wouldn't a double be better?

Comment

Originally posted by John46 View Post
                            Just an observation. Do really trust that kickstand with all the weight? Wouldn't a double be better?
                            Had 2 different double leg kickstands, both broke. All the pics in this thread, except the last, show the Pletscher Double Kickstand. That one broke though. I order the Ursus Jumbo kickstand and installed it, but haven't posted pictures of it installed on this thread yet. Here a pic of my bike and trailer with the new Ursus Jumbo kickstand.

I've been looking at (and asking about) bike stands for ages now and the time has come- the excessively high one I've been making do with is now showing signs of becoming unsteady so I'm going to have to buy before it falls over and causes damage- I'm doubting it would stay steady if it gets...

-Rodger

Comment

• John46
                              John46 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Now that looks like the real deal. Nice looking setup. I ordered the one from Crow Cycle but I don't have it yet. Hope it fits. I assume you have a BBSHD.
                              John
                              Last edited by John46; 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM.
                          Working...
                          X