Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aosom 48volt 750 watt Direct Drive rear hub build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aosom 48volt 750 watt Direct Drive rear hub build.

Alright folks here we go.This will be my first foray into the e-bike world, let alone documenting it so bear with me if you will.First off, hats off to everyone here, for without all the posts, recommendations on various topics and suggestions on where else to look for answers like the confusing to navigate but very helpful Endless Sphere website, without all that I'd be as lost as a ball in high weeds.A very small ball.
    I started this off like most things in my life: uninformed but determined to see this through. My dear wife Becca bought the aforementioned rear wheel for me from Amazon for roughly $350.00 dollars. I soon realized this was going to require some serious help. After cruising around the web for a week or three, happened upon this site. Started figuring out battery ah, wattage ,etc. Another week or so later started looking at batteries, wound up buying the Luna Storm 48 volt 20 ah battery from Luna Cycles website. That experience to date has renewed my faith in my fellow humans.Anyway another week of waiting, couple of support tickets to iron out some details and my battery was here with shipping expedited by Luna. Wicked good service. I had also ordered the triangle bag and XT-90 pigtails and they threw in some other XT connectors for no additional charge.
    So far all I've really done is mount the motor in a Schwinn Ranger F/S frame to get the ball really rolling, took a couple of pics to mark my progress so far. The second pic is a somewhat fuzzy close up of the hub motor. Time and weather permitting, I will soon have pics of the controller install and battery mounting in the Luna triangle velcro bag. Right now battling Graves Disease with hyperthyroidism, blessing and curse all rolled into one. More will be posted later. Total cost so far is 997.80.
    Last edited by Dale H; 09-26-2016, 11:12 AM. Reason: Because memory, or lack of it.

Update on the build: Got it all together, test drove it, I think I have a NEW addiction. My wife is not pleased with sharing me with THE BIKE, but I can't or won't let that deter me.will post pics of it all together later. Also the velcro bag that I ordered from Luna started coming apart, sent in a trouble ticket and they are shipping me a zip-tie version. Gotta love quality service.

Comment

Nice post Dale. I started like you. I never knew what i was getting myself into and became obsessive with it all.but that was the fun of it. Make sure you include your wife on your hobby if she wants to. Somthing i never did.
      Last edited by Rodney64; 10-01-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Good start, and yes, part of the fun is the challenge of the build and getting everything working. Did you install torque arms? If you not, you risk spinning the axle and possibly breaking your axle drop-outs. I use two with my MP5. Depending on your power, you will need at least one. Also be sure to tighten your rear axles really good after the first few rides, and check them regularly. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the props y'all, couldn't have got this far without your help.True community feeling here.Now for more pis of nearly completed build. The battery bag will be replaced with one of Luna's zip tie triangle bags because the velcro straps are pulling out, not due to stress as the bag fits snug in the triangle. Will eventually fabricate a Sondors knock off to house the battery, just pretty busy right now.Tell me what you think and thanx again for the input Rodney64 & wklatt.

Comment

More coming soon on this build!

Comment

A tweak to the crappy rear bag that came with the hub motor to help it stand up and become my trunk.It also gave me the opportunity to do something to the rats nest I had withe the equally crappy controller.Took it all on an 8 mile ride, on flats and some pretty steep hills.Enough riding without at least one torque arm, probably will get two just to be safe.swear I feel like a kid again.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dale H; 10-03-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Latest update: Everything works well.Made a few more tweaks to the back bag, isolated some wires coming off the controller that I currently do not use. I believe the controller has speed limiter, which I am not interested in personally. Also has wires for a dashboard that I currently do not have, it is on the list of wants. For now I am using a cheap Bell 100 speedometer that tells me distance traveled, speed, average speed and max speed.It is 25 miles one way with one mountain at the beginning,not sure of the grade but it is about a half-mile to the top, get to coast for a pretty good way afterward. Then twenty some odd miles of 2 lane that is pretty busy and hilly, although drivers are pretty courteous as I usually give them a wide berth. I also have a basic handlebar mounted mirror that works well. Have a fluorescent yellow helmet and shirts to match for high visibility. The Luna Storm 48 volt 20ah battery has performed flawlessly so far. I start out with 53.6 volts, have usually 49.5 volts remaining when I arrive home. This has been at times frustrating but all in all an excellent experience for me. I would do it all over again, only this time with some experience. My next build will more than likely be after the New Year. End of the documentation on this build, and thank you to all who helped both with direct input or by taking the time to post here for all to use. Hope this helps another E-bike newbie .
                Last edited by Dale H; 10-08-2016, 09:42 AM. Reason: had to change wording on some things

Comment

Congrats Dale. Glad to see everything worked out for you, and you are enjoying your ebike.

Comment

Thank you, you were a great help to me.My bike has steel dropouts, so for now I'm going to use it sans torque arms.Not the best practice I understand, but I check the axle nuts after each ride and they have not loosened up so far. One other thing I did not mention is the controller was getting hot, so I incorporated the blue ice packs I use in my lunch box to keep it cool, while being sure not to get anything wet. The motor itself is actually 1000 watts, and it does get kinda hot, although I understand this is to be expected. Will probably get the side covers milled to keep it cool, after I educate myself on how to waterproof the motor itself. The whole setup weighs 72 pounds, I weigh 130 so I don't think this is too much for the motor. Time will tell.

Comment

Update: 300 + miles so far and the only hitch is that it's cold here.. aand drivers on two lane roads that force me off of a nearly non existent shoulders. Keep o constant eye out for the folks who do not appreciate any kind of bikers, let alone e-bikers. Onward...

Comment

Use caution when toying with what you think are regen wires lol. On a controller I recently purchased from a forum member, I noticed the two white wires were labeled " REGEN". So in my line of thinking these were regen wires.The Chinese documentation on said controller ( mine, not the one I recently bought) was sketchy at best. Later on was going for a ride, got everything ready, hit the power button only to realize my bike was now wanting to take off in reverse. Seems I need to research regenerative braking......

Comment

Hi Dale, did you figure out the new controller yet. Motor going in reverse right after putting it together indicates the Hall wires or the three phase wires are not connected right,

Comment

Spinningmagnets told me that that particular controller was for a bike or trike actually that the reverse was for a trike. I just ordered a 40 amp controller from Luna, if anyone has any pointers, warning Etc I would greatly appreciate it. It should be here in a week or less, and I'm hav is what ing surgery on Monday to have my thyroid removed, so I'll have some down time to tinker around and figure out what wire is what as this controller ( 40 amp) comes with no documentation. Thaanks for your input HarryS, that controller will be relegated to the "spare" bin for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X