Shimano Nexus or Alfine 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano Nexus or Alfine 8

Going to a 8 speed IGH of the Shimano Nexus or Alfine flavor has been a bucket list idea for my commuter bike. Any experience here running those at BBS02 power levels?

Futzing with the rear derailluer this week got me to thinking about an IGH again.

I could see that being a nice choice.. I have some experience over the past few years with those hubs ... although reliable, they really want to have precise cable pull to shift correctly.. not a huge deal with pedal only, but if you start missing shifts with an extra 1 1/2 hp, I could see problems in a big hurry and destroying a nice hub... if it were me, I'd get a Di2 compatible Alfine .. a few bucks more, but extremely precise shifting which is not mucked up with twist shifters (or paddle shifters) and long cable runs.. beyond that, you probably won't need 8 speeds with the BBS02, but it would be nice to have if you needed to pedal the bike un-assisted...

Comment

For the BBS02 using its stock power levels (1000W-1200W) with no attempts at popping a wheelie...either one is an excellent choice. Since I was a child I had a love affair with internally geared hubs (IGH's). The Alfine uses roller-clutches, so when you are just rolling along, it will be near silent. The Nexus branded IGH's use common pawls, so they have the common clicking noise found when using pawls.

Comment

Hello I'm new.

There is also a Nexus 8 Inter premium which uses needle bearings it is slightly better than the Alfine in testing. There is also a Di2 version of the Nexus 8 Inter.

Comment

Necroposting an update to this thread...

Well, the time has come. I'm going to go for it and make the change to an IGH. ​I think I'll take all the change from the coach cushions and spring for an 11-speed Alfine unit. I think I'll stick with traditional cable shift and stay away from the new fangled Di2 electric control.

Youz payz your money and youz takez your chancez. I'll report back on how this runs with my BBS02.

I'll have a favorite local bike mechanic build up the wheel. That's beyond my tool or skill set. He'll do it right with good quality parts. He builds up a lot of wheels for heavy touring bikes and mad downhillers.

My rear wheel and hub are pretty well used up. Been babying that wheel with regular truing and tightening but spokes are starting to break and in the course of repairing one yesterday realized those rear bearings are feeling real lumpy.

Comment

Whoops, maybe not. Just stumbled on an online seller of builtup wheels, with 12 ga spokes, 36 hole double wall rim (Custom Motored Bicycles). Turnkey like that would be a lot quicker way back on the road. Might have to save the 11 speed IGH adventure for the next clean sheet build I'm pondering.

Comment

• orcasmarx@yahoo.com
              orcasmarx@yahoo.com commented
              Editing a comment
              I would appreciate the info on that online seller of "builtup" wheels with 12 ga spokes. My Luna rear hub motor came with the rim damaged in shipping and am about to pull the trigger on building my own wheels. I live in an area with virtually no Ebike mechanics and crazy high prices. To get a wheel laced here would be in the $200 to $300 range.

Got wheel finished and tire mounted today. Now to figure out the install and rigging.

I ended up going with an N360 after some more reading and consideration. 36 hole, double wall rim and 13 gauge spokes.

Comment

Comment

Igh are definitely a sweet spot if you can get it right with an electric bike.

I really hope this set up works out for you...seems like it will be a sweet combination.

Comment

I think you made an outstanding choice! You will not be sorry! I have been using a N360 on a BBSHD w/ 42t eclipse and 22t driven. Climbs 22% grades no problem, quiet, smooth, not a single problem in hundreds of miles, your gonna love it!

Comment

Incidentally, you will be needing a chain tensioner. I had a hell of a time finding one I liked. In the end I modified one I bought and it worked out great. check it out!

Comment

Yeah, Rix,

That is a cool one, and very discreet.

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
                      Incidentally, you will be needing a chain tensioner. I had a hell of a time finding one I liked. In the end I modified one I bought and it worked out great. check it out!

Comment

yep, the Chain tension solution is one of the uncertainties in my mind for this change. Hopefully get enough time between Saturday honey-do's today to get it test fit and start figuring that out.

Comment

I used one of these: http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FQQbaQodJNMIJg

My bike is a single speed with no derailleur hanger so I had to use one of these to mount the tensioner/chain guide:http://problemsolversbike.com/files/prod_grp/ch0910.png

Comment

Thanks Christian! I needed to get rid of that derailleur! That was the whole reason I went with an IGH. Mud clogged idler cage caused my derailleur to wrap itself around the cassette leaving me afoot and pushing a 47 pound ebike and 60 pound trailer! Never happening again! I'll never go back to a derailleur! IGH's rule!

Comment

Working...
                            X