1st project, Tools needed questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st project, Tools needed questions

I'm about to order a BBSHD kit for an 2005 Gary Fisher Big Sur Disk bike. I'm hoping to do the install in one session so I'd need to have all the necessary tools standing by. My only concern is the bottom bracket.

if I buy the Luna wrench along with the Luna tookit do I still need the Bafang tools for the install? I have a full complement of regular, not bike tools, I'm an auto repair technician.

Oh, the bottom bracket on my bike is an ISIS Gigapipe, apparently.

Is there anything else I might need?

Thanks in advance,

George

I believe the Luna wrench performs the same job as the Bafang tool.

Luna kit is very complete and better than a SunLite bicycle tool kit I purchased years ago. Luna kit includes a bottom bracket removal tool which is very important item needed to remove BBs (bottom brackets). Plus all the other stuff will be much appreciated.

I’m an old Diesel mechanic and I didn’t have any special “bicycle” tools. Sure, I have wrenches, sockets, Allens, etc. But if you ride much you’ll need chain breakers, Freewheel/Cassette removal tools, chain whip, cone spanners, etc.

I dunno your bike and I’ve heard about “press fit” BBs out there? Maybe throw up a photo of the BB/Crankset to confirm if there’s anything there which might derail your plans? I doubt it but in the interest of being thorough....

Comment

I was an auto mechanic all of my life. Every time I changed the make of car I was working on, VW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and more I needed to buy more tools It is no different with Bikes.

I had to get
      a bottom bracket tool
      a freewheel tool
      a crank arm puller, you may have something in your toolbox but it may damage the arms.
      a chain whip and a cassette tool, I made a chain whip and it worked but I ended up buying one.
      a VERY thin 15mm open end for pedals is nice
      a spoke nipple wrench,, I have built 1 wheel and I am getting ready for number 2. I am very proud of that BTW

If you want to avoid a punch hammer and water pump pliers get the proper BBSHD installation wrench.

Now just to tease you I never referred to myself as a technician. I have always been a Mechanic! I never tried to make my profession sound better with a word. If I ever got a negative reaction when revealing what I did for a living I would ask "Do you want to match IQs,,,,,,,a$$hole?" I never had anyone take me up on it.

Your handle mbtuner leads me to think you are a Mercedes "tech". The first dealer level job I got was at a VW, Porsche, Audi dealer. All German stuff. On the first day one of the mechanics ,Hans, said, and I quote "The Germans don't know how to make rubber or glue". No truer words have ever been spoken to me in a shop.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll add to my list. calfee20, I don't call myself a technician to sound better but these Mercedes cars have more technology on board than the space shuttle. Upwards of 50 connected computers on a Controller Area Network, from radar assisted cruise control & autonomous braking, electronic transmissions & steering. It takes a technician. My laptop loaded with 25 grand worth of software & a ridiculous amount of training makes me a technician.

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Time flies I left Mercedes 20 years ago. Cars didn't have OBD yet and the new MBs had this computer case under the hood to protect all of the computers. I don't know what they do today but they had separate modules for each system. I took care of the 24/7 road service for almost 2 yrs. Every once in a while AAA would do a 24 volt jump start and fry everything.

They were heading in the direction of dealer only serviceable and it sounds like they are there now. In the 50s techs were making 50% of the shop rate. When I started in the early 70s I was getting 33% and by the time I finished I was down to 20% of the shop rate. How are percentages today?

I have an independent shop, just my business partner & myself. We last had a fully qualified tech 10 years ago, he was getting 35% at that time.

It's definitely a challenge trying to keep up with the new stuff with Mercedes doing everything they can to put us out of business. We can't purchase some modules that they call Theft Related

Parts, or TRP. With a bond, a fee & locksmith credentials I can still buy some, but not all. Some modules can only be coded to work by the Germans via the internet with very expensive

hardware & subscriptions. To order an electronic key dealers are requiring the car, owner & ownership papers to be present. We've had to tow cars in for a new ignition lock to be ordered,

then towed back to our shop to await the part. They'll only hurt themselves, I think.

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          I should have worked for you guys. Flat rate burned me out. After MB I worked by the hour at a rental yard fixing anything from nail guns to man lifts. Then I worked on John Deere and Kubota Agricultural tractors mostly. I got paid less and worked at my normal pace but I wasn't angry all the time about the division of jobs so it worked out for the best. Working on new things can be very interesting and I have worked on a very broad range products.

The only thing I have to add is that you need the bottom bracket and crank puller tool(s) that work with YOUR particular bicycle. As I discovered when I did my build, there are many different types of bottom brackets and cranks out there!
        I am using Comic Sans ironically here

Comment

• mbtuner
          mbtuner commented
          Editing a comment
          This is spot on. I've found that my bottom bracket will need a smaller, special tool. Do you remember what brand or type yours was?

I was kind of thinking that an MB tech would realize that there are variations depending on what you have. I would have been more specific with someone else.

Meanwhile there is a paratrooper for sale near me and it has an interesting frame bag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00303_knZdkwtSaY2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	26043

Notice the wires coming from the handle bar bag. Who knows where the battery is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	00L0L_3GFSSLxXc5y_1200x900.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	26044

Here is a better photo of that bag. I looks like it could hold a nice battery. Finally the craig's list link. You never know how long they will last. http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5961308478.html

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
          I was kind of thinking that an MB tech would realize that there are variations depending on what you have. I would have been more specific with someone else.

Meanwhile there is a paratrooper for sale near me and it has an interesting frame bag.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n26043[/ATTACH]

Notice the wires coming from the handle bar bag. Who knows where the battery is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n26044[/ATTACH]

Here is a better photo of that bag. I looks like it could hold a nice battery. Finally the craig's list link. You never know how long they will last. http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/5961308478.html
          That bag appears to be a Blackburn Outpost with some alterations. Those frame bags will only work on a Paratrooper if they are modified to have longer straps. The one in the photo has four much wider straps on it. That particular bag has a water bladder hydration port that would work for running wires.
          I am using Comic Sans ironically here

Comment

So is the Luna Installation tool needed for a BBSHD installation? or will a bottom bracket socket serve the same purpose? I already have one of those in my toolbox.

Marc

Comment

• ykick
              ykick commented
              Editing a comment
              Socket is actually better since there will be times when the wrench hits parts on the frame where the notches need to line up.

But, the decorative outer locknut is something which should use a proper wrench. The Luna bicycle tool kit - https://lunacycle.com/luna-cycle-ebike-tool-kit/ comes with a wrench which fits that locknut. It's a very useful tool kit particularly if you don't have any bicycle tools. Pullers, cone wrenches, chain whips, etc.

If you install a gear sensor, you will need to cut the derailleur cable and cable housing. And buy a pair of cable stops. A pair of good general purpose cable cutters work (that's what I ised) or you can buy special-purpose cable cutter bike tool.

The Bafang nut tool is overpriced, but arguably would work better in some cases than a $10 spanner wrench (which worked perfectly in my case). The Luna Wrench might work too, if you got the clearance.

If you are going with a hard case battery, plan to drill extra holes on your frame and install RivNuts for stronger battery bracket install. You will need a 90 degree drill or drill attachment for that.
            Prepare to do more than one session for the install, if this is your first build.

Comment

Working...
            X