2-Wheel Drive Monster - Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-Wheel Drive Monster - Worth it?

I have a BBSHD mounted on a 29er with Luna 42T chainring and 52v battery mounted in rear pannier/rack on a Trek X-Caliber 7. Hardtail but with long throw thudbuster. Customized wiring to be very discrete. Bontrager XR3 tires 2.3" front and back, tubeless converted. All works very well. Wondering about getting one of the new double torque hub motors for front wheel. But also want it discrete and don't like the idea of changing out my front wheel completely. Any thoughts? Right now it's very backend heavy. Thinking about offroad climbing ability and stability/traction in wet conditions.

I dont think that motor is a good match for the BBSHD... it cannot put out the power to compare to a bbshd so wont make that much of a difference.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! And awesome products/info by the way. So is there a front wheel motor option out there that would work? Or best to just forget about 2-wheel drive? Thanks.

Comment

There is a big thread on ES about 2WD
        Greetings This topic comes up occasionally and deserves special attention to prevent us from repeating ourselves. Much on this subject has been learned since the oldest known post was made on this forum back in April 2008. There is a lot of good useful experience out there, and some...

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, and that's a very informative thread on 2wd. Unfortunately, I still have some questions :) (and I'm not a member on ES). I know adding a front hub motor, with a BBSHD powering the rear wheel won't do much under normal riding conditions, but I'm more interested in marginal improvement of torque/grip/stability in wet/rough/off-road/hilly conditions. Basically using it like all-wheel drive in a car instead of 4-wheel drive in a truck; only when needed. Christini makes some "all-wheel drive" motorcycles that are pretty impressive (http://www.christini.com/), but I don't want a 300lb motorcycle. What are the RPM settings/limits (with no load) of the double torque hub motor at 52v in high and low gear? Also, I'm curious if anyone has converted the Alex DM24 29" to tubeless with a MTB tire? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X