60a controller with Cyclone 3k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60a controller with Cyclone 3k

any one working with this configuration . running hot, running wild , ????

I believe gman1971 is running a cyclone 3k at 60 amps on his tadpole.

Sorry, I am new here and spent the last couple of weeks browsing. It is hard to keep track of everyone's names and projects until I meet them in person :( I might have the details wrong....

Comment

Yes, I think Gman's is high voltage, too. 72V maybe? Highest power cyclone build I'm familiar with. But I haven't seen him here in a while. GarySB, if you go to the Cyclone section, you can find quite a few posts about it. Seemed to work fantastically for him. Check it out.
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I smoked the windings of my Cyclone 3000 running 60 amps. I now have a temperature probe epoxied to the windings and keep it below 110C (230F). I have had no problems since.

Comment

• Chuntzu
          Chuntzu commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for letting me know, I was thinking about upgrading to the 60amp and was curious as to possible cyclone damage. I will put a temp sensor in mine. I acutally fried my original cyclone controller after a shunt mod that I went overboard on, hahah. It was crazy how much torque it had at 72v and >40a for the 45 seconds to ran before I blew it up! now for a more subtle mod or the bluetooth controller.

I have read about the work gman1971 has done. I am curious how much time he spends at 60 amps. It seems reasonable that he uses 60 amps for quick bursts of acceleration and short timed runs. (I wouldn't be surprised if he pre-cools his motor with dry ice prior to a timed run.) He then uses the throttle to keep the motor below 40 amp most of the time.

A second key is to keep the motor in its high efficiency RPM range. Lugging the motor will cause it to generate a disproportionate amount of heat.

Please keep posting your finding with regard to heat. When hot rodding the cyclone the limiting factor will be heat dissipation.

Comment

Working...
        X