Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found! A way to mount BBS02 or BBSHD to old fashioned American or BMX style BB!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POOP Stinks and it smells like MONEY! I held my machine shop in my hands and and went CAREFULLY 0.5mm at a time with Carbide burr and 2" sander till it fit and NO MORE. See Reverend Iggy thread. U CAN DOO IT!

Comment

heheh, excellent, there's that way too, thanks for the encouragement/reminder! don't want to get too precious with this stuff :)

Comment

Actually my motor would have fit without the offset adaptor IF the bottom bracket were made from steel. That little extra thickness that aluminum requires was just a silly millimeter too much. "TTGG", yours might just fit too because yours looks like thin steel.

Comment

• ttgg
          ttgg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, very helpful, yes comparing pictures my steel BB easily looks much thinner than yours and Velodrome's. If I go this route I will probably just buy the stock adapter then see if bbshd [which I don't have yet] fits. I might have bought one by now but learning that you can't use a rear coaster brake was a curve ball, my rear dropouts are 110mm and I was wanting to avoid spreading them for a fancy new hub. I have nice old 3 speed/coaster hub, Bendix Torpedo. I found some bolt on ideas for mounting rear caliper brakes though.

Originally posted by Velodrome View Post
        tt. The chain stays wern't the problem. Its the distance center of the Ashtabula BB / BBSHD or what ever drive shaft ,and the motor case exterior. 1.5mm more distance from drive shaft center to motor case exterior and this would not be an issue. but : learning more and seeing the problem in the flesh as it were. I do not think ANY frame with an American BB will work with these kits. Unless modified OR with an Ashtabula offset BB solution like Optimus found. Honestly, The things Optimus found are a great solution IF they hold still and behave themselves.
        I have been using the bike quite heavily and there is no movement at all. Here it is today after a climb up Goat Hill, a place where Washington used to monitor British troop movements along the Delaware.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00027.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	29812
        Attached Files
        Last edited by OptimusPrime; 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• ttgg
          ttgg commented
          Editing a comment
          OptimusPrime would you happen to know did the guy who made your adapters attach them with adhesive to his own bike or just pressure fit? thanks

Here's my solution Click image for larger version

Name:	1021162322.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	29824Click image for larger version

Name:	1021162322.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	29825
        Attached Files

Comment

Pease explain in detail.

Comment

Machined some stock to BB inside diameter, then machined hole so BBSHD would pass through it, 1/4" offset from center. Can't recall exact dimensions at this point, I have them wrote down in shop and I'm out of town till this weekend. I have a 68mm BB. BTW my first attempt made a nice paper weight. See attached picture below. I will be working on an aluminum option next. If there was a big enough demand I might make more, but they are time consuming and don't know if many would want to pay for that. Message me if you're interested. Good luck with your build !!! Click image for larger version  Name:	1021162323.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	29834
            Last edited by SPORTY9; 03-09-2017, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
              Actually my motor would have fit without the offset adaptor IF the bottom bracket were made from steel. That little extra thickness that aluminum requires was just a silly millimeter too much. "TTGG", yours might just fit too because yours looks like thin steel.
              Ummm NOPE. My Felt frame is steel. Not aluminum. Still was nowhere near getting it to fit without radical mods or the things Optimus found and SPORTY made

Comment

Originally posted by Velodrome View Post
                Ummm NOPE. My Felt frame is steel. Not aluminum. Still was nowhere near getting it to fit without radical mods or the things Optimus found and SPORTY made
                ahh OK I looked at your pics again, steel indeed, hmmm back at square one... possibly. It looks like the new adapter on yours has a slightly smaller OD than your BB. Don't know how that compared to the original bearing cups but if you look at mine the OD of the BB is the same or possibly minutely smaller than the bearing cup. I wonder if my 1960s department store bike tolerances might give me just enough room as OptimusPrime was suggesting. I guess there's no way to know unless I have everything here, which of course I'm trying to avoid.

EDIT: I measured, my prime candidate for conversion BB outside diameter is 56mm, the orange one in the pics [I have several of these bikes] is 57mm. Velodrome could I possibly get a measurement on yours and thoughts on fit if it is larger, thanks!
                Last edited by ttgg; 03-10-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Check my quick figures but if the BB is 56, and the BBSO has a 12mm clearance between the axle housing and the motor housing, AND the BBSO axle is 34mm. Then 28mm minus 17mm equals 11mm and you have 1 mm more than you need!!! IT FITS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
                    Check my quick figures but if the BB is 56, and the BBSO has a 12mm clearance between the axle housing and the motor housing, AND the BBSO axle is 34mm. Then 28mm minus 17mm equals 11mm and you have 1 mm more than you need!!! IT FITS!!!
                    whoa, mahhhvelous... we're dialing it in, thanks! BBSO 12mm clearance, same figure for the BBSHD? I believe that's the one I'd be going for.

Looking ahead, for my other bike with 57mm leaving exact snug fit, maybe not ideal but I had thought about that earlier. In context of de-coupling the motor housing from the frame so it doesn't transfer or amplify noise and vibrations would be desirable.

With Velodrome having blazed the trail on the grinding approach, perhaps a few strokes with a coarse file would clear things up if it was just touching. If I'm seeing it correctly one thing that bothered me about grinding was it appears one of the case bolt heads and its passageway was slimmed down.

Comment

The amount of metal that needs to get gone is very small. I took perhaps a bit too mush as I had a fair bit of wiggle room once assembled not the glove tight fit I was seeking. Proper offsets for Ashtabula BB's would be the perfect answer. Some like me tend to get carried away and take too much metal. I take after my Dad. When trimming a tree he would; without fail end up with a nub on the ground and he'd send me to get a shovel... :) Heres where the offending bit of aluminum needs to be taken away if your going the grinder route.
                      Last edited by Velodrome; 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Velodrome, much appreciated. According to OptimusPrime calculations above, I may have 1mm clearance with my 56mm OD bottom bracket. If you can get to it and have a caliper could you possibly measure your bottom bracket OD? I'm guessing on a modern cruiser bike the steel might be a little thicker than mine. If yours is greater than 57mm or so I'd say I'm golden, especially as you say the fit was almost there on yours. thanks!

Comment

At work now till morning will try to measure and post tomorrow.

Comment

• ttgg
                            ttgg commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great, thanks! whenever you can get to it, much appreciated.

I have found a couple more resources, or one new and one expanding on what OptimusPrime found. In case anyone checks in on our mini knowledge base we've started here:

This guy crafted asymmetric end caps like the guy from Latvia, and his as well were for the TSDZ2:
                          https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...tsdz2#p1207681

And here is the guy from Latvia posting about his end cap work on a mega TSDZ2 thread:
                          https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...t=225#p1256529

Comment

Working...
                          X