Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found! A way to mount BBS02 or BBSHD to old fashioned American or BMX style BB!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to keep in mind that the axle shaft on the Bafang is of a greater diameter than the TSDZ2. The guy from Latvia who made mine made them special for me after I gave him the dimension of the Bafang. I am hoping that he produces a bunch of these in the future so others can successfully convert their frames.

Comment

• ttgg
      ttgg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, thanks for clarifying the size difference, I did read in your first post that he made one special for you but wasn't aware of exactly what the difference was. I posted the links to show how others were dealing with the same problem. Do you have a dialog with him, perhaps he'd like to be made aware of this thread. I would think Luna would consider producing these for the BBSXX, seems they'd want to have all the bases covered with the efforts they've put into that product line. They'd be able to put it through the rigorous testing.

All righty then. I have measured 3 different bikes in my collection all with Ashtabula BB's and ALL are different. First up Reverend Iggy A Felt steel frame beach cruiser 57.10mm OR 2 1/4" Next up a Worksman Industrial Newsboy in steel 59.58mm OR 2 11/32" Lastly a Felt "Twin" aluminum beach cruiser 60.50mm OR 2 3/8 Not sure what to make of this. 3.4mm variation between largest and smallest and Felt aluminum vs Worksman steel has ~0.92mm between them. All measurments are outer diameter.
    Last edited by Velodrome; 03-11-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

pic's of the Twin and Newsboy ( Newsboy slightly modified ) :)

Comment

Those are two VERY cool bikes! I'd like to do something like that, sort of a tribute bike to that style, but in electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Velodrome View Post
          All righty then. I have measured 3 different bikes in my collection all with Ashtabula BB's and ALL are different. First up Reverend Iggy A Felt steel frame beach cruiser 57.10mm OR 2 1/4" Next up a Worksman Industrial Newsboy in steel 59.58mm OR 2 11/32" Lastly a Felt "Twin" aluminum beach cruiser 60.50mm OR 2 3/8 Not sure what to make of this. 3.4mm variation between largest and smallest and Felt aluminum vs Worksman steel has ~0.92mm between them. All measurments are outer diameter.
          Thanks Velodrome, well Reverend Iggy at 57.10 was the one you fit the Bafang, I think if I do go with the BBSHD I will just order the stock adapter and hope for the best. From what we know about the 12mm clearance between shaft and motor it seems like it may fit my bike with the 56mm BB. Sure would be nice having someone producing a field tested asymmetric adapter, perhaps something that did not involve adhesives. I like that solid shaft one Sporty9 made but he mentioned it may be cost prohibitive, perhaps cheaper in aluminum.

Comment

The Latvian guy did not use an adhesive and his is fine. I just like to over engineer stuff so I went straight for the JB Weld!

Comment

• ttgg
              ttgg commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know!

Those are great looking bikes!! I have a couple of questions. Where did you get the handlebars for the pope? What is your opinion of the performance of the drum brakes you are using? Thanks for any help.........calfee

Comment

Haha. I was going to ask the same thing about those handlebars

Comment

Hello guys! I don't know who messaged me on ebay yet here I am. Actually today was the first day I took a drive on completed kit. Previous pictures on other forum was with borrowed LiPos attached with strips. Also front chainring is 52t now as 42 was too small. I can still climb said sledge hill with this big one. ;-) Now I have finished my 44V 12Ah battery with BMS. Achieved 41.6 km/h. Controller is limited to 40, so I don't know if it was me pushing hard or controller limit is just for legislation without actual enforcement. Just to prove it is me writing, look at my picture attached. Today weather +2 C and melting snow on beach and forest so pine needles and white sand on frame. :-D

When I started to conversion I didn't know there would be no ready eccentric adapters to purchase. Actual craftsman is my friend who helps me out with metal works. So I asked my friend to make them (and extra sets as I thought I need to help out ones without precision metalwork tools in garage).
                TSDZ-2 has smaller spindle, so when I learned that OptimusPrime wants them for BBSHD, I had to be sure adapters will work. Unfortunately a new set had to be made. Actually 2 sets where made as right next day another one was purchased on ebay for BBSHD and that also went to USA. If you are interested in, I can arrange another batch. I hope center bore turned out perfect match. For TSDZ-2 precision is so great that a little bit of sandpaper job is needed on spindle thread to get it through as Chinese machines lift some metal up when cutting threads on. Then it holds without any slack at all. BBSHD adapter version will not be so tight as I don't have that motor to take measurements in 0.05 mm scale. Outer diameter was a perfect copy from my BMX to British adapter as I rode 2 years my bike prior conversion to electric. Outer diameter could also be adjusted if needed. I hope OptimusPrime is satisfied with fitment.

More could be made if anyone wants. Pricing mostly will depend on finishing level as anodising at home is quite expensive in chemical, energy and health-wise.

Comment

Good to see you here "instigator"! The adaptor you made for me was a perfect fit and saved the project for me! The pieces were so beautifully made and anodized, I was very impressed with the machinists work. In actual use however they probably could just be left plain aluminum and would work just as well. Again, thanks for providing this adaptor. I would imagine that many others could make use of them also.

Comment

Hello Instigater! Thanks for joining, that was me that sent the email :) I will show my ignorance about anodizing but I was just reading about varnishing parts inside the motor for rust proofing. Maybe buyers could varnish the un-anodized pieces when they got them to protect against corrosion? I was told the BB adapters on your bike are just press fit, no adhesive, correct? Do you think the BBSHD adapters would work in the same fashion? Yes, if your friend is up for it I'd imagine there would be a steady trickle of requests once the word got out.

Edit/Addendum: Certainly the exact measurements to .05mm could be had from someone at Luna? I'd imagine that would be excellent information to have listed in the knowledge base, perhaps the question could be asked there:
                    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...and-kits/bbshd
                    Last edited by ttgg; 03-11-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
                      Those are two VERY cool bikes! I'd like to do something like that, sort of a tribute bike to that style, but in electric.
                      ?? Like this ?? Post 95 http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...=62039&page=10

Comment

Welcome Instigator!! Well done on the adapters! Your invention will save countless hours of frustration for builders like us cruiser types :) Calfee: The drums work at least as well as callipers and look better. ( IMHO ) The bars on the Pope are old Torrington cycle-truck bars with about 3 inches internal plug of steel pipe and about 6 inches extension welded on, as well as the cross brace of plain steel rod. I have build threads on both bikes if ya need em
                        Last edited by Velodrome; 03-11-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

It's great to have others jump right in to help. Instigator, pm me on making a few sets. I have friends interested in these adapters. Looks better than my heavy steel option.

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTY9 View Post
                            It's great to have others jump right in to help. Instigator, pm me on making a few sets. I have friends interested in these adapters. Looks better than my heavy steel option.
                            Please count me in as well! One for the BBSHD.

Comment

Working...
                            X