Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found! A way to mount BBS02 or BBSHD to old fashioned American or BMX style BB!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found! A way to mount BBS02 or BBSHD to old fashioned American or BMX style BB!

I have been wanting to mount my BBS02 to a bike with what is known as an American bottom bracket. These are the ones like you would find on an old Schwinn cruiser or BMX bike. Like shown here

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/opc.html

Since the BB is a full 2 inches in diameter a simple reduction adaptor won't work because the distance between the Bafang axle and the motor housing is too narrow. The adaptor would need to be off center or eccentric. Now they do make eccentric BB adaptors but they aren't large enough to fit the 2 inch diameter American BB. I thought I was out of luck until I came across a guy who could make what I needed. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2683.JPG Views:	2 Size:	230.6 KB ID:	27775Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2681.JPG Views:	2 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	27777
    Luna, a suggestion, get some of these adaptors in stock. It opens up a huge number of frames to a BBSxx install
    Attached Files

That looks great! I used a conversion bracket but had to grind out metal on the BBSHD case to get it to fit on my Felt. This looks MUCH better. My conversion has a 4 allen head bolt to hold it in. I'm assuming the pressure of the mounted motor will keep it from rotating???

Comment

Originally posted by Velodrome View Post
    That looks great! I used a conversion bracket but had to grind out metal on the BBSHD case to get it to fit on my Felt. This looks MUCH better. My conversion has a 4 allen head bolt to hold it in. I'm assuming the pressure of the mounted motor will keep it from rotating???
    I tried the thing you used but when I found it wouldn't fit without grinding I looked for something else. I imagine the pressure of the mounted motor would be enough but just to make sure I epoxied it in there. I can't believe that there isn't a greater demand for a solution because there are so many bikes out there with one piece cranks.

Comment

AND not everybody wants a fat bike or a mountain bike. Gimme an old Panther and a Monarch fork with disk brake and NOW were talking! Beach Cruisers and Rat Rods! WOOF! How much might these Ashtabula to mid-drive excentrics cost?

Comment

I paid 44 dollars. Got it from a guy in Latvia of all places, who makes them and sells on ebay. I dig your rap Velo, there is a definite slant here towards fat bikes and MTB's but give me a nice comfy cruiser any day!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	29091
        Attached Files
        Last edited by OptimusPrime; 02-28-2017, 04:26 AM.

Comment

SEXY! Whats in the bags? Also Got a link to Latvia dude? I don't wanna grind on my motors no more if I can help it!

Comment

SEXY! Whats in the bags? Also Got a link to Latvia dude? I don't wanna grind on my motors no more if I can help it!
            What's in the bags?
            Batteries!

Here's the dude:
            http://www.ebay.com/usr/inslv?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Comment

he does not seem to have anything at the moment but i've subscribed to him, maybe when he's got stuff again we'll see if we can get some, thanks for the heads up

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post

What's in the bags?
              Batteries!

Here's the dude:
              http://www.ebay.com/usr/inslv?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
              Yes Yes Yes.... Batterys . But what KIND of batterys ?? One small in each or one medium on one side? Those are nice big bags too! get them on the BAY as well?
              Last edited by Velodrome; 02-28-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Yes Yes Yes.... Batterys . But what KIND of batterys ?? One small in each or one medium on one side? Those are nice big bags too! get them on the BAY as well?
                Luna mini's. The bags are actually cheap motorcycle fork toolbags from Amazon but they work great as bike saddlebags/battery bags.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                  he does not seem to have anything at the moment but i've subscribed to him, maybe when he's got stuff again we'll see if we can get some, thanks for the heads up
                  He actually makes these in his shop for a different motor but he agreed to make one for me to fit the Bafang. It's a beautiful piece. I bet if you messaged him he would make them up for you.

Comment

I think I'd feel more comfortable about the thing if it had some bolts like this one. How tight was the fit on yours? I understand you used epoxy; but if you had not, might the thing have stayed still anyways? Watching this closely for updates as you put miles on your ride. This could be the answer I was wishing for when I took a carbide burr and disk grinder to my brand new BBSHD motor case. I wanna doo a DYNO next :)

Comment

Hello, new guy here, OptimusPrime that's a great find on those adapters, thanks for links, pics and write-up. I've been studying on this BB fit problem for a few days, had found the normal adapter for converting the Ashtabula cranks. I am trying to decide between a BBSHD or TSDZ2.

I have a frame [late 1960s Huffy/20" wheels] that has the down tube as 2 pieces that go over the top of the BB and become chain stays [see pics], leaving the BB almost completely wide open. I'm wondering if I may be able to get away with just the standard insert adapter. Where was your BBS02 hitting, would it start in at all? I see in Velodrome's pics in thread linked below it looks like it started in but the motor casing hit the chain stay [on mine there'd be nothing there to hit].

Also, with these dual frame tubes being close to the edge of the BB, is there anything that would interfere with?

Thanks for any info, also I third the opinion that there is a great market for that adapter! There must be millions of potential candidates lying about, seems like a good cash making opportunity for someone with a machine shop.

Velodrome's build thread, ground down motor casing workaround:
                      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...drive-luna-tic

Comment

tt. The chain stays wern't the problem. Its the distance center of the Ashtabula BB / BBSHD or what ever drive shaft ,and the motor case exterior. 1.5mm more distance from drive shaft center to motor case exterior and this would not be an issue. but : learning more and seeing the problem in the flesh as it were. I do not think ANY frame with an American BB will work with these kits. Unless modified OR with an Ashtabula offset BB solution like Optimus found. Honestly, The things Optimus found are a great solution IF they hold still and behave themselves.
                        Last edited by Velodrome; 03-08-2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Velodrome, thanks x1million!! Now I know where I stand. hmmm, someone with a machine shop, $$$$$??? OK, I'll be checking in with the guy from Latvia... whew, one MAJOR question out of the way, thanks again Velodrome! Hey Luna, I'll bet you can smell a CASH COW when it's in your pasture? :)

Comment

Working...
                          X