Magura MT5e ebike brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magura MT5e ebike brakes.

Hey has anyone tried to using these Magura brakes?
    http://www.magura.com/en/components/...ilpage/?p=2594

I have the non-ebike version on my Bullitt / BBSHD cargo bike, but not sure if the cutoff switch will work with BBSHD.

Pricing for this massive 4 piston brake setup seem fair.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magura-MT5e-...oAAOSw5cNYfUMK

Anyone tried to use it?

So I got the magura MT5e brake lever.
    It comes with a Higo red 2 pole male connector.

I just spliced that lever into a standard magnetic brake sensor.

The red / black color wires are the functional leads for normal short, setup to be normal short just like the magnetic switch on the BBSxx.
    The lever will work on all of their MTx series brakes.

I just cut the connectors off and connect the bare wires up on my BBSHD brake leads.

Test functionality before you button everything up!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3938.JPG Views:	1 Size:	164.6 KB ID:	33632

Click image for larger version  Name:	image2.JPG Views:	2 Size:	319.9 KB ID:	33634Click image for larger version  Name:	image1.JPG Views:	2 Size:	413.9 KB ID:	33636 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3942.JPG Views:	1 Size:	235.9 KB ID:	33637
    Attached Files
    Last edited by insider; 09-02-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Here's the tactile sound. Pretty nice, you can feel the point where the power cuts out without engaging the brakes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...JYTFR1VjBMeGlV

Comment

Hello I want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. I have a pair of magura mt5e brakes I would like to use with by bbshd.

Do you just cut off the red higo two pole plug plug and attach a yellow three pole higo plug?

Magura comes with the 2 pole red Higi mini B. You can buy the three pole mini B without having to buy a magnetic cutoff sensor. Are you using the magnet at all or just the higo connector?

You leave the white cable of the yellow higo unattached to anything? And this setup works to cutoff engine?

I just want to confirm before I go cutting cables. :)

Comment

I updated the original post with a bit more details.

My MT5e lever came with red 2 pole higo plug male end. I bought the lever only and not the complete brake set.

The lever is self contained and it opens / close the circuits. From the clicking sound whilst actuating the lever, I would guess that it uses a mechanical micro switch.
          I'm not sure what you mean by "magnet". I'm using the Magura MT5e brake lever on my MT5 brakes so I wouldn't have to use the generic magnetic brake sensor for the BBSHD kit.
          There were 3 wires coming from on the BBSHD brake leads and I folded one end back.

Been using this for months trouble free. I hope you got all the information you need.

Best.
          Last edited by insider; 09-14-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Hello insider are you sure your lever came with 3 pole? From the photos it seems like it is the red, two pole higo. My MT5e brakes are with the red 2 pole higo connector. Hence the impossibility to conenct it to the three pole BBSHD input.

I see that you spliced a yellow 3 pole connector to make it work (otherwise no need to splice just plug 3 pole higo to bbshd).

If i understand correctly, the two pole output from the lever connected to the three pole input of the plug with the white wire folded onto itself. Having the third pole floating is not causing problems.

One last question if I may is your lever a HIGO OPEN or CLOSED circuit?

Thanks so much.

Comment

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I really do not understand that last response from Insider.

Can anybody confirm if these mt5e levers will work with a Bafang BBSHD?

If so, could someone confirm:
              - if I need to use the OPEN or CLOSE version?
              - Can anybody confirm how to connect the two cables to a 3-cables higo plug for bafang BBSHD? (I suppose one of the cables on the Bafang higo plug can be discarded, but which one?)

Any recommendation will be appreciated (other that 'there is a mistake somewhere , good luck')

Comment

Originally posted by v1ncen7 View Post
                Sorry to revive this old thread, but I really do not understand that last response from Insider.

Can anybody confirm if these mt5e levers will work with a Bafang BBSHD?

If so, could someone confirm:
                - if I need to use the OPEN or CLOSE version?
                - Can anybody confirm how to connect the two cables to a 3-cables higo plug for bafang BBSHD? (I suppose one of the cables on the Bafang higo plug can be discarded, but which one?)

Any recommendation will be appreciated (other that 'there is a mistake somewhere , good luck')
                Are you able to see the photos? Not sure what confirmation you are asking for...

Ixandstones suggested that you can just pludgthe 3 pole (BBSHD) connector to the 2 pole Magura connector.
                I don't know as I never actually test fitted. I just spliced a 3 pole connector to the Magura lever.
                Only one way to find out - see if the Magura 2 pole connector will plug directly into a 3 pole BBSHD brake brake sensor plug.

It's a really simple thing to do.... find the 2 working wires out of 3 available wires - polarity is not important.
                If you are not comfortable doing this, I'm not sure any amount of hand holding can help you?
                Last edited by insider; 09-02-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I was hoping to confirm:
                  a. If I need to use the OPEN or CLOSE version of the Magura brakes
                  b. Which wires (which color) should I connect, and which one I can leave disconnected).

Thanks for holding my hand while explaining to me I could try to plug a two wires connector to a three wires connector, this is very useful.

Found the answers to all these elsewhere, don't bother holding my hand any further with more useless condescending comments.

Comment

In case anybody else finds this thread and is interested:

- Adapters do exist:
                    Single:
                    https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...b-b2-s3-detail
                    Dual:
                    https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...1s3-2b2-detail

Magura brakes come in two flavors:
                    - opener version HIGO-Opener NC (normal close)
                    - closer version HIGO-Closer NO (normal open)

should work with Bafang BBS.

Reference - https://pojazdyelektryczne.org/viewtopic.php?t=3701

I have ordered what is needed, but I doubt I ll come back here to post any update.

Comment

In case anybody else finds this thread and is interested:

- Adapters do exist:
                      Single:
                      https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...b-b2-s3-detail
                      Dual:
                      https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/i...1s3-2b2-detail

Magura brakes come in two flavors:
                      - opener version HIGO-Opener NC (normal close)

should work with Bafang BBS.

Reference - https://pojazdyelektryczne.org/viewtopic.php?t=3701

I have ordered what is needed, but I doubt I ll come back here to post any update.
                      Thank you for bringing more value to this thread.

Comment

I was hoping to confirm:
                        a. If I need to use the OPEN or CLOSE version of the Magura brakes
                        b. Which wires (which color) should I connect, and which one I can leave disconnected).

Thanks for holding my hand while explaining to me I could try to plug a two wires connector to a three wires connector, this is very useful.

Found the answers to all these elsewhere, don't bother holding my hand any further with more useless condescending comments.
                        Sry you feel slighted.

Since I'm the OP, I felt responsible to answer.
                        Seemed to me like you are asking for answers that was already clear in the above posts.
                        Honestly, I didn't even know you could buy different versions of the lever now. I know it wasn't available in 3/2017.
                        I would never trust wiring colors because manufacturers may change wiring schemes mid production. (We are talking about Chinesium here.)

This entire forum section is all about DIY.
                        If you could not extrapolate the answers you are looking for with the information presented, then you may not have the understanding on how simple circuits work...
                        There is no way for me to know if you have an electrical engineering degree.

By inference, if you don't like the verbiage I used then perhaps the burden is not on me to make you feel satisfied.

Comment

• v1ncen7
                          v1ncen7 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Everything in the thread was very clear, until your comment that said:

'Correction, I made an mistake - been too long. See above.

Never take any internet post as fact - test it with a volt meter before you button everything up - Mummkay?

This comment made me doubt the previous posts as it was unclear what mistake you were referring to as you quoted the entire previous comment. This is the reason why I asked clarification as I was unsure if the mistake was that it may not work at all. Now I guess the mistake referred to the fact the brakes did not came with a three pole in the first place, but as this was clearly shown in the pictures, I wanted to confirm what the 'mistake' was before ordering the brakes.

Now I see you continue to imply I have some sort of disability preventing me from understanding 'how simple circuits work', while in fact the problem is that you are unable to communicate clearly.

• insider
                          insider commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, you are right that is confusing so I deleted that comment and updated all reference in original posts.

Just in case its useful to anyone I fitted the Magura MT5e "Closing" brakes and they work very well.

To connect the Magura cable (Red 2 pin) to Bafang (Yellow 3 pin) all you need to do is cut the "tang" / "raised part" from the red connector and they fit together, I had to try the connectors in a couple of positions (2 to 3 pin) for it to work but its very simple (and doesnt require cutting and soldering wires).

Comment

Hi, first time posting, thank you for this thread as I connect my new Magura MT5e brakes to a new Bafang BBS02 motor.

Right brake works great, found the correct wire combo, hard-wired/soldered, A-OK! Whether it's when using the throttle, or when peddling, I hit the brake lever and the motor cuts out. Fantastic!

The LEFT brake however isn't working correctly. Exposing the three wires again from the Bafang connector, like I did before when I wired up the right brake, with every combination attempted I can only get the motor to cut off when using the throttle. It doesn't work when peddling.

Is this a programming glitch/issue? Do I need to program/select the motor to cut off with throttle AND peddling? Is this even possible in programming?

Again, I got the right side to work just fine by identifying and connecting the correct two-wire combo. On the left side I've tried every 2-wire combo possible and the motor cuts off ONLY when using the throttle. Press the throttle, touch the two wires together and the motor stops. I try peddling, touch the two wires together, motor keeps going. I tried every wire combination very carefully and thoroughly. I've checked and re-checked every connector, all connectors are new and make clean connections!

Anybody experienced this? I don't have a programming cable, yet, but do I need to get one and change the programming or is this something else?

Comment

• AZguy
                            AZguy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            There's no parameter in the "programming" that addresses this and while there's lots of good reasons to get a programming cable, there's no GUI addressable parameter for this.

For the most part the brake signals are the same wire in the controller and harness so they work identically and the motor can't distinguish between them so it doesn't make sense they would operate differently - have you tried swapping the brake connections (i.e. plug the front brake into the connector presently used by the rear and vice versa) to see if this odd behavior follows the brake or follows the connector you use?

FWIW I decided after a few thousand miles I didn't like brake sensors at all and ended up disconnecting them altogether

• christoc
                            christoc commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is an odd scenario maybe but I'm hopeful someone's seen this or has a possible answer, much appreciated. Thank you

• AZguy
                            AZguy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'd try that swapping the connectors to see what it follows
                        Working...
                        X