Help converting 2010 Specialized Demo 8 II to electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help converting 2010 Specialized Demo 8 II to electric

Hello!! Just recently I picked up a 2010 Specialized Demo 8 II off of Craigslist for a decent price. I am looking to get a mid drive electric motor for it. The type of riding I plan to do is going to mostly be woods riding and messing around on jumps. Has anyone on here converted a bike similar to mine? I checked the build list and didn't see any. My concern is how the bottom part of the frame kind of goes out b/c of how the rear shock is mounted. I'm not sure if I bought a mid drive kit if the motor would have to be mounted so low that the ground clearance was an issue. I'm looking at the BBSO2 or the BBSHD kit.

Interesting bike... but as you say, ground clearance looks like an issue with the down tube geometry.

That middle set of stays must be to keep the effective pivot point low while the higher (black) stays must be for lateral stability.

Comment

Hi, I've just converted a 2013 Specialized Demo 8 to electric with a BBSHD. It was a easy conversion with a 100mm motor. Ground clearance on this bike isnt an issue with the motor as the down tube isnt as flat at the bottom as the 2010 Demo 8. If i was you, Id sell that bike on and get a later model Demo, they are a better bike. cheers

Comment

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my build. Went with the BBSHD and 48v 10ah battery. This thing is a blast to ride!! Just recently installed a 3 speed Nexus IGH and have a half link chain on the way so I can hopefully get the right chain length without having to get a tensioner. I have experimented with multiple battery mounting positions and have found this position to be the best. I had it mounted up higher on the bike (where a gas tank would be) and it made the bike feel a lot heavier so keeping the weight lower is definitely better. Also tried the backpack thing and one endo and concussion over a 30ft double later I decided I don't want to be crashing again with a battery strapped to me lol.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.JPG
Views:	2341
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	36654

Comment

Few more pics.
          Attached Files

Comment

Riding pic from yesterday. Freaking loving this bike!!!!!!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	19030761_1309477895755189_5400547362466663129_n.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	37658

Comment

Hey is that a SRAM Dual Drive I see for your rear hub? If so, how's that working? I just got a Sturmey-Archer Cs-Rk3 3 speed with a freehub for my 10sp cassettee... so I would essentially have a triple crankset without a triple crankset.

Comment

Working...
              X