Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY BBSHD mid drive cutoff for road bike brakes/shifter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY BBSHD mid drive cutoff for road bike brakes/shifter.

I have a dropped handlebar road bike with a BBSHD. What would be the best way to set up a motor cut off for shifting and braking. I have no cut off devices now. I was thinking of using the unused left shifter as a clutch/cut-off. Would a gear change cut-off also work as a brake cut-off with mechanical disks? Is there a way to attach three gear change cut-offs to one BBSHD?

If I can dial this bicycle in it will be one sweet ride.

This is an option which I use. I have one brake cut-off connected to one of the brake handles and this "Big Green Button" to the other brake cut-off. Works well for me.
    http://www.greenbikekit.com/bbs01b-b...-e-brakes.html

I got mine at em3ev.com. Not sure which is cheaper.

Comment

Wow that looks like a great solution and way less fussy than the shift cutoff sensor. Kinda like a clutch in use, hit the button, shift, release button, and go!
      Last edited by OptimusPrime; 04-29-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
        This is an option which I use.
        Too easy. I would like to avoid another object on my bars. I have a brake/shift lever that's doing nothing. Now how do I get a sideways push of the brake lever to do the same thing as pushing the green button? Is there a schematic of what pushing the green button does?

Comment

• BigJon
          BigJon commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I have read the green button just completes the circuit. the contacts are left open normally and the circuit closes when the button is depressed, so you could easily make your own with a momentary button. (I bought mine so I wouldst have to 3d print a housing for the button.

I would add the shift sensor, and program the Stop Decay to 0. The Stop Decay affects the amount of time the system takes to cut after pedaling stops. I believe the Time of Stop does the same thing. I did this on my Litespeed Unicoi.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold View Post
          I would add the shift sensor, and program the Stop Decay to 0.
          I have been avoiding programing with a PC until I read the fine manual more thoroughly. I did find that peddling backwards instantly stops the motor. It doesn't make for a natural shift though. I'm trying for a natural bicycle feel where the the motor works with me and not for me.

What I need is a way to cut off the motor with push of the left shift wile I complete the shift with the right when I'm on the drops. It would also be nice to be able to change the PAS level wile on the drops. It looks like reed switches, magnets and springs. The easy part is the wiring is at the handle bars.

Comment

Working...
          X