Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska_av8r
    replied
    'Tks I kept messing with that button and couldn't figure out how to get it to dim the display, I wasn't holding it down I was just pressing it. My bike is a hunting bike so half of my riding is in the dark and a dimmer display will help. No on the speed setting from the reading on programming It implied I could set a speed limit on the display then my PAS settings would be a percentage of that max speed, so I was looking to find out how I did that.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    I have found the battery capacity gauge on my Cycle Analyst V3 to be spot on over many thousands of miles. It is a picture of a battery where the darkened part is the charged part. When there are only a few darkened pixels, I know I am almost out of juice.

An even bigger clue is that I know my LVC is set to 65V in the CA (this is a 72V system). When I am riding and approaching 65V, I know that I am near full discharge.

I can also feel the battery cutting out when I am almost out of juice.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-13-2017, 12:02 AM.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
    commented on 's reply
    Hold the light button down to increase/decrease the brightness of the screen slightly. Helps for riding in the dark as the display can sometimes be too bright & distracting.

Programming is a different beast all together and has no relation to the display. Check this link for more details:
    This is an introductory guide to using the programming cable and the Bafang Config Tool to change the options of the controller for your Bafang mid-drive motor, so we won't be going in-depth about any other tab but the Basic tab. If you own a Bafang mid-drive motor you may want to change a thing or two in the controller

Although keep in mind that setting the speed limit doesn't actually do anything meaningful in regards to unlocking any hidden potential power if that's what you were wondering. It is simply a safety feature for those who wish to cap their speed off. Your top speed will always be limited by the voltage of your battery.
    Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 12-12-2017, 06:56 PM.

• Alaska_av8r
    replied
    I am learning the display a little more each day and have written down the critical voltages for my 52v pack such as LVC of 42v and better head back of 46v, I'm charging to 90% right now. I cannot figure out the headlight button on the control attached to the display, it says in manual that it puts the display in night mode but I don't see any difference. Also the bbshd programming how to's say to set "speed limit" to "by displays command", so I did that but I cannot find anywhere on the display that the speed limit is set.

Yeah I know the Chinese semantics leave a lot to be desired, the company I work for was one of the first ones in there and it has been a rough road. Maybe Luna is working behind the scenes and will come out with a display that will be the "cats meow". : )

Leave a comment:

• ykick
    commented on 's reply
    Trust me, I don't like it either but for example "Accurate battery gauge" is not the same claim as "Accurate to within +/- % battery gauge" It's all Chinese semantics but an educated consumer is the best customer.

Unique thing about Li-ion/Lipoly compared to SLA/Nickel/LifePo4 is that voltage is nearly linear representation of SOC. Trouble is, these % meters (which are based on voltage) haven't cracked the code yet how to deal with voltage sag unloaded and then loaded.

Like many folks I've banged my head against the wall to try to find a better fuel gauge to no avail. Aside from actual Ah/Wh measurements learning the resting and loaded voltages for your discharge curve is the simplest and easiest method, IMO.

• Alaska_av8r
    replied
    Thanks HighVoltage, not downing Lunacycle specifically they have helped me greatly and I want to see them make money and be in business for a long time, wonderful folks, as a matter of fact just received second full bbshd kit 3 days ago, but no matter who sells the product (especially if it is a known issue to those that regularly follow the industry) those issues should be mentioned at the point of sale, that is just good business. Don't make it where the customer finds out about it after they have purchased it. I know as a consumer we should do our due diligence as well, but with much of this being new technology to many of the consumers it is impossible for us to keep up and the company that stays 20 steps ahead in customer service and pushing that info out there will likely be the one on top. It may sound like a complaint but it is not, merely a suggestion for Luna to take the ball further down field so to speak

And Ykick yeah in the display features it does only say
    • Choice of Percentage or Voltage display for Battery
    • Accurate battery gauge
    Not very specific terms and I'm used to Marine and Aviation with lead-acid/agm/gel batteries where we count amperage draw for capacity and can be pretty darned accurate but this Liit Ion stuff is all new to me so bit of a learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• ykick
    replied
    Well, the product descriptions merely state % meter but no promises about accuracy. If it really bugs someone they shouldn't buy it or return it if unhappy.

Enabling volt meter on color displays and learning the voltage curve of Li-ion can provide a very useable idea of remaining capacity.

Leave a comment:

• HIGHVOLTAGE
    commented on 's reply
    This is a known complaint across ALL vendors who sell Bafang kits, not just LunaCycle.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
    commented on 's reply
    It does read the voltage correctly and you should be using it. The % has never been a functional feature and never will be because it lacks a few important key bits of info that every rider should be aware of.

It won’t tell you anything important, like how close you are to approaching the auto-shutoff mode or how much “voltage sag” you’re pulling from the battery under load. Without knowing your voltage sag, you could be dangerously close to hitting the auto-shutoff mode (43v) and not even know it, even with like 30% capacity left. A % gauge will not be able to tell you any of these things, even if it was functional and working. You would need a special unique UI element added to project these kind of warnings.

Plus as you would expect, these kind of features cost money to integrate. Lots of it. So the kit itself would eventually become fairly unaffordable if we had to put our resources into having as many of these mundane easy-mode features as possible. Much easier to pay attention to a voltage number and just ride normally while keeping the price affordable for those who want to jump into their first E-bike build.
    Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 12-10-2017, 01:13 PM.

• Alaska_av8r
    replied
    following.... I agree with intramorph, if you advertise it will do it then it better do it, I would even put this info in the items description so folks don't buy to find out later that it does not work as advertised.

Leave a comment:

• intramorph
    commented on 's reply
    Well Fred I'm just starting out with the e-biking thing and yes i know i'm a little late to the scene and not familiar with a lot of things as of yet however when I purchase something with certain features i expect it to work... call me naive or whatever but there should be no excuse as to why there isn't a display that can read remaining battery capacity accurately in 2017 (apart from watt meter or something similar). But that's just my opinion and you know what they say. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one =) Cheers m8 stay safe and happy riding

• Fred
    replied
    Originally posted by intramorph View Post
    I just purchased the dpc18 and i can tell you for a fact that it does not display battery percentage (%) accurately. mine went from 100% to 75 in a matter of two blocks and as soon as i let go of the throttle it went right back up to 100%. This happened all throughout my ride and it wasn't a long ride but i certainly ate up some of the battery and when i got home it's still on 100%. Did not try to switch to Voltage .Perhaps it'll read voltages better than battery percentage but i wouldn't hold my breath... it's an okay display (certainly an upgrade to the C965) but not at all accurate by any means
    PS I have to say that the throttle is more responsive with the DCP18 so at least i'm happy with that one thing it does better
    No doubt this has been covered many times elsewhere, but once more, these displays are measuring VOLTAGE. Voltage will vary depending on the load on the pack (i.e. how many amps it is drawing at any point in time). Sometimes referred to as voltage sag. In the resting position with no load it may still display "full", but this is not useful as a measure of capacity remaining. A watt-meter or Cycle Analyst which measures watts (volts x amps) consumed is the accurate way to measure remaining capacity.

Leave a comment:

• intramorph
    replied
    I just purchased the dpc18 and i can tell you for a fact that it does not display battery percentage (%) accurately. mine went from 100% to 75 in a matter of two blocks and as soon as i let go of the throttle it went right back up to 100%. This happened all throughout my ride and it wasn't a long ride but i certainly ate up some of the battery and when i got home it's still on 100%. Did not try to switch to Voltage .Perhaps it'll read voltages better than battery percentage but i wouldn't hold my breath... it's an okay display (certainly an upgrade to the C965) but not at all accurate by any means
    PS I have to say that the throttle is more responsive with the DCP18 so at least i'm happy with that one thing it does better
    Last edited by intramorph; 12-08-2017, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    Maybe the sport/eco thing is a where you live thing. Not available to USA???

Leave a comment:

• scrambler
    commented on 's reply
    Well my confusion comes from the fact that I asked Luna if the Apex had two modes, on that could be set to match the 750W "legal limit", and one to deliver the full power, and I was told no, that it only had one mode.
Working...
X