Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I charge a 36v battery with a 48v charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I charge a 36v battery with a 48v charger?

I have a 36v 17.6ah battery that is made up of 18650 cells. The pack is a 36v 17.6ah (20s4P).

I am currently charging it with a 36v 1.5a charger which takes forever.

I am having trouble finding an inexpensive(less than $25) 36v charger with higher amps, say 2.5 - 5 amps.

I did find an inexpensive 48v 2.5a(ebay link) charger. I would like to know if y'all think that it would work with my 36v battery.

Thanks in advance for your time.

RJ

Doesn't sound like a good idea. That unit outputs 59V while you are looking for 42V. You may find a 2A one for cheap.

Comment

59V is not a good idea.

Parallel couple of these together - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-42V-Power...wAAOSw9h9ZpikX

Comment

• rayjamesfun
        rayjamesfun commented
        Editing a comment
        So, to make sure I am understanding you correctly, you are saying to buy two 42v 2a chargers, and connect them in parallel so that the charge becomes 42v 4a? That's awesome!!! I could just buy an additional one of the one I already have and do it that way.

Quick question though, will they both green light at the same time? Do I need to add any special electronics in the wire connections or anything?

Thanks for the response.

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        I doubt they'll terminate identically but it shouldn't matter much since that would likely occur at the end of charge when current has tapered off anyway.

• rayjamesfun
        rayjamesfun commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good. I ordered them. I'll update this thread after I try it out. Maybe even with video. Muhahaha. Thanks for your time. You just changed the game for me. You rock!!
    Working...
    X