Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice sought for disconnecting pedal controls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice sought for disconnecting pedal controls.

I've been riding my Bafang BSHD 1000Watt mountainbike for few weeks now, and it certainly makes life easier -- however, I do find the electronic assistance from the pedals very user-unfriendly at low speed.
    This kit-motor is apparently the result of the input from several different disciplines - mechanical, electronic etc., and the electronic controls are way behind the standard of the rest in my opinion.
    Pedalling brings a sudden, but late rush of immediate power, though the pedalling rarely seems proportional to the power it releases. It also robs the pedalling of any exercise value.
    The thumb control is obviously a cheap and insensitive component, but at least it is optional ...
    I'd rather just run on a thumb control, and meander around the narrow streets and unpredictable pedestrians under my own, more predictable power.
    Can anyone offer advice regarding disconnecting (or better still, adding an off- switch to) the part of the control system which concerns the pedals please?

It sounds to me like you just need to reprogram your controller. However if you want to disconnect or put a switch in for PAS, simply remove the controller. Inside you will find five connections. The black plug is the one you're looking for. It has a gray wire in it. Cut this wire to disable PAS. Install switch to turn on/off at will. With this mod you will have throttle levels that correspond to the PAS levels but no PAS. Set the display to the highest PAS level and let 'er rip!

Comment

That sounds ideal Rix, thanks very much. I could still reprogram the controller at a future date, if I find out how, but having it switchable will be a great improvement.

Comment

Or just program the first one or two PAS settings back to 15% or so (they`re much too high as standard for what you want)

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          I've been riding my Bafang BSHD 1000Watt mountainbike for few weeks now, and it certainly makes life easier -- however, I do find the electronic assistance from the pedals very user-unfriendly at low speed.
          This kit-motor is apparently the result of the input from several different disciplines - mechanical, electronic etc., and the electronic controls are way behind the standard of the rest in my opinion.
          Pedalling brings a sudden, but late rush of immediate power, though the pedalling rarely seems proportional to the power it releases. It also robs the pedalling of any exercise value.
          The thumb control is obviously a cheap and insensitive component, but at least it is optional ...
          I'd rather just run on a thumb control, and meander around the narrow streets and unpredictable pedestrians under my own, more predictable power.
          Can anyone offer advice regarding disconnecting (or better still, adding an off- switch to) the part of the control system which concerns the pedals please?
          Not sure which thumb throttle you have. I am using a Left thumb throttle from Luna, and I find this to be anything but true.

https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...humb-throttle/

Now, the settings also need to be right for smooth throttle control - default settings are for aggressive launch with throttle, and less sensitivity. Set mode to current. Set throttle start start current to 1a. It should be pretty darn smooth and precise, mine is. That's a pretty nice throttle. Mine's been in the rain many times, no problem.

Any throttle will be smoother with these settings.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
          X