Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on wiring two hub motors to one battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas on wiring two hub motors to one battery.

Ideas on wiring two hub motors to one battery. Like to use the front hub motor only when needed. I saw where Luna had a Xt90 Parallel Adapter connecting two batteries as one. I need something like this only reversed. Females on wrong end. I got a 52v 20ah battery

this or roll your own
    Cheap Conexión En Paralelo de Cables 14AWG Enchufe AMASA XT90 Mujer Hombre, Compro Calidad Piezas y Accesorios directamente de los surtidores de China: Conexión En Paralelo de Cables 14AWG Enchufe AMASA XT90 Mujer Hombre
    Last edited by max_volt; 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

So if I get one of the above xt90 males to female and get a remote on and off switch that Luna sells. That should let me power two hub motors and be able to use the front hub motor only when needed. Any other who have done this have more ideas.

Comment

I have done this although I didn't use a switch and I suggest you don't either. If you don't want to use the front motor, stay off the throttle and set PAS to 0. If you suddenly need that second motor due to terrain or whatever, you just use throttle or click up on PAS. Why handicap the usefulness of the bike?

Your BMS needs to be able to handle the draw from two motors. I did this temporarily as a test and my battery was a Luna Storm with 25R cells and a 50 amp continuous/70-amp peak BMS. It was able to run two Bafang 750w fat motors (the ones Luna sells) and two 35a-peak controllers without warming up the cells to any noticeable extent. Thats because I was using cells that are tops for high output and I knew my BMS would not be a limiting factor. You need to do the same research.

I am presently building a gen2 2WD bike. For that bike the battery will be a 25R again, at least 20ah with a BMS set to 60a or possibly 70a continuous. I have a 20ah, 60a/80a 25R battery. The only question is if it will be enough to power a fat motor and a BBSHD for the range I want.

Comment

I agree. Roll your own. Save 10 bucks. I must have a dozen XT90/XT60 adapter harnesses that I soldered up to handle parallel, series, gender swaps. Buy some silicone wire too off ebay/amazon. It's amazingly flexible.

Skip the switch.

Comment

Working...
          X