Mobil Grease 28 Alternatives for Rebuilding BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobil Grease 28 Alternatives for Rebuilding BBSHD

Hey guys looking at doing a tear down and rebuild of a BBSHD unit as shown here - https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-and-greasing.
    Unfortunately I cannot find a retailer in NZ that sells Mobil Grease 28 and as I am on a tight timeframe I don't have time to bring any in from overseas. Just wondering if anyone can suggest some alternative types of Grease that may be more commonly available and will do the same (or close) job. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure why that particular grease gets recommended. I suppose it's ideal. But if you can't get it, I don't think that's anything to worry about. Substitute a similar grease.

Mobilgrease 28 is a supreme performance, wide-temperature, antiwear grease designed to combine the unique features of a polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluid with an organo-clay (non-soap) thickener. Its consistency is between an NLGI No. 1 and No. 2 grease.
    From : https://www.mobil.com/english-it/avi...mobilgrease-28

So, just pick any grade 1.5 (1 or 2, in a pinch) PAO clay-thickened grease and it would be a good substitute.

There's a Nylon gear which can potentially be exposed to the grease. So you want one that's OK with Nylon. But, from my quick reading, most grease formulations are OK with nylon.

If you search: grease xxx "material compatibility" chart, you will find particulars for most major brands, if you want to double check whatever you can get locally.

Don't sweat it too much, use the best/closest you can get.

EDIT: If you are taking it apart far enough to expose the Nylon gear, I believe the same would be fine, there. I only mentioned 'can potentially get on it' because the typical greasing operation is not a full tear-down. Just the metal gears.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by JPLabs; 11-28-2017, 08:15 PM.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Someone on here recommended this Lucas grease a while back...

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Comment

the lucas grease #2 is a lot cheaper but these days you can't tell by the price. google says: Synthetic Automatic transmission fluid for model train lubrication ...

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/.../synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid-for-model-tr...
        May 3, 2013 - 18 posts - ‎6 authors
        The consensus was that "Red & Tacky #2" was the ideal grease and sewing .... Lucas Oil tacky red ... a lubricant that is compatible with the plastic material. Compatibility must ... Table 1 gives general compatibility guidelines.

it is a lithium grease ....psi 60....temp range -23 to 527f
        Last edited by jawnn; 03-02-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Hi. I'm in a similar ditch. I can't wait for the imported mobilgrease28 to be imported (not to mention the importers charge more than four times what it costs upon crossing the border...)

So I was wondering if this one would work. The brand is Super Lube, it has a compatibility with nylon as "excellent), is NLG 2 and otherwise seems a good fit from what o can tell (but am not too sure what I am looking for) I have attached a screenshot of the product's properties).

Anyways, thanks for any help you guys might be able to supply.

Comment

What I did was found a listing for the Mobil 28 that had the complete listing of all the standards it met and equivalents. I then searched some of those and found something that was closer to me and more reasonably priced. I think in my case I used the MIL spec number.

Comment

The one way roller clutch inside the nylon gear requires friction to work. It's NOT a roller bearing. It also need some room to move to engage and disengage. Don't use grease with low friction additives, and don't pack it full of grease. The ideal lube for these (which is not possible in this application ) is ATF. Less viscosity, less additives, and less grease are all good there. I would keep this in mind when looking for a substitute product.

Comment

Very good point retro, and slippage between the one-way and the pinion is possibly what caused my first build / motor's nylon gear to melt (the nylon gear teeth were fine):

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=29428&d=1548370847.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	144495

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=29429&d=1549513407.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	144496

The nylon gear melted inside and spun on the metal bearing insert. The motor had not been apart since new, and to Luna's credit they fixed it and replaced the gear no charge.

I have since replaced the nylon gear with the PEEK version (in advance of the Luna V2 controller upgrade), and the pulled nylon gear was fine and didn't show any melting.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When working properly there is no movement there when the motor is under load, so no heat. If it's slipping due to improper lubrication for a clutch then heating can occur.
                  If you stick it in backwards you will have no drive at all. So pay attention to rotation when you take it apart. I haven't done a BBSHD, but TSDZ2 this can happen.
                  Last edited by Retrorockit; 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
                The one way roller clutch inside the nylon gear requires friction to work. It's NOT a roller bearing. It also need some room to move to engage and disengage. Don't use grease with low friction additives, and don't pack it full of grease. The ideal lube for these (which is not possible in this application ) is ATF. Less viscosity, less additives, and less grease are all good there. I would keep this in mind when looking for a substitute product.
                So it should be more liquid? So NLG 1 is preferable to 2? And so should it be a different lube/grease for the part inside the nylon gear compared to the one used on the gear teeth?

Comment

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suppose you could try that if you want to. But at least try not to make it worse by trying to "improve" the lubrication of a "bearing" that is actually a clutch.

Aeroshell 22 is used in many places where Mobil 28 is used (they're sort of "crosses" in aviation)... it is generally easier to find, a little less expensive and tolerates wet environments better (hopefully that's not an issue with your BBSxx!)...

It should be good here but no warranties implied or expressed ;-}

Comment

Working...
                X