Trek Roscoe 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek Roscoe 8

Hello all. Been some time since I've visited. Good to see the community here is still strong and a lot of the old timers are still hanging out.

I'm looking at buying a new Trek Rosco 8 for a build. A search brought up just one post https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-trek-roscoe-8. I have PM'd the OP but have not heard back yet. I have to put my order in at the local bike shop soon, finding this particular bike in the flesh for me has been impossible so I'm posting here to see if anyone has any input.

The new single chainring mnt bikes have short chain stays and limited chainring room as they commonly run 28T which will likely create fit and chainline issues, at least in my opinon. OP suggests HD would not fit but 02 would. He also shows chainline but that is 4th gear out of 11 with a slight bend. Looks like 2-3rd cog would give a straight line at best. Having already done an old school mnt bike build that gave me chainline issues I'm gun shy of this build. I need all gears to work without issue as I'm not a full time assist kinda guy and using 4th gear when I should be in 8th doesn't sit well with me.

The Roscoe 8 is new to the market so experience may be limited but maybe someone can chime in on builds with the newer single chainring mnt bike builds, issues and resolutions.

Tonk,

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I need to build a bike for my dad for father's day. I'm planning on picking a Roscoe 8. I was thinking about getting him a size 19.5 with a bbs02 kit from lunacycle. I'm also concerned about the chainline and whether or not a 19.5 is the right size for Roscoe 8 to do the build.

Thanks!

Comment

I haven't heard anything more on the subject. I did order mine which is scheduled to arrive at the shop June 19th but may arrive early. No one even knows what color scheme the '19 will be as they usually change color each year. First year ('18) was orange and sold out very quickly. I'm hoping it's a diff' color but as they say "careful what you wish for". Since this won't be my primary ride and I already have most of the items needed to electrify it, I was willing to order it knowing there would be a possible issue with fit and chainline and may have to ride it without PAS.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
      Last edited by tonk; 07-08-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Tonk, Any updates? I just picked up a Roscoe 8 and am up in the air on whether to convert it or look at different bike to BBSHD.

Comment

Originally posted by smithharder View Post
          Hi Tonk, Any updates? I just picked up a Roscoe 8 and am up in the air on whether to convert it or look at different bike to BBSHD.
          Srry I'm late with this response, I'm RVing often and don't mess with the internet. They haven't gotten the '19's in and are now saying late Aug (they now know it will be grey). They did however track down an in the box '18 and had it the day after I got back. Installed a BBS02 with a Mighty Mini 30T replacing the stock 28T chainring. Plenty of room on the chainring as the BBS02 kicks the chainring out a little over stock (prbly take a 36T maybe more) Easy install, took a cpl hrs with no issues. As usual installing the cockpit and adjusting for fit takes the longest. Big surprise was the chainline was no better than my first build which had terrible chain throw issues but I was using the Lekkie 42T on that build so I believe the MM30T improved chain retention. I've taken a few rides, 1. was for 12 miles on a very rough/rocky fireroad with some serious inclines/declines and another cpl less rough rides for about 15mi each. No issues other than I'm not impressed with the 11sp NX drivetrain which the PAS system only magnifies it's flaws. But that's on the bike and at it's price point that's to be expected.

I can't answer the question on whether an HD would fit. I had a spare 02 laying around and the one HD I still have is on another build so I installed the 02 and didn't look back.
          Last edited by tonk; 07-08-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• tonk
            tonk commented
            Editing a comment
            Update; I now have almost 300 miles of mixed riding with no chain issues or any other issues. If anyone is thinking about the Roscoe 8 I would recommend it. It's a competent bike for it's price range and the BBS02 is a simple install. FYI, if you're thinking about a BBSHD another member stated that the it would not fit, I have no knowledge on that.

I have a Trek Roscoe 6 and also put a BBS02 on and can confirm that it barely fits so the BBSHD will not fit as the rear frame bends to accommodate the wider tire. Also Trek has a very small front chain ring at 28 teeth. I ordered mine with a 42 tooth Lekkie but that would not fit even with spacers behind it. So I installed a Lekkie 36 tooth ring. The chain line is still out far so set my derailleur limit to stop me using the 2 lowest gears. So far so good.

The only other issue is that the locknut comes loose as the lock ring does not fit. The Luna Wrench is pretty useless at getting the nut tight, (best to order the socket). The nut was not tight enough and ended pressing against the derailleur cable making for poor shifting as the cable come out through the frame right where the motor sits. I ended up putting a piece of rubber between the motor and frame and also used blue lock tight on the nut and using a hammer to get it tight.

Comment

Here is my 2020 trek roscoe 7 build, I have used a bbs02 750w with shark 48v downtube battery, I have not installed the throttle or either of the brake sensors as they are not really required if you know how to ride, this thing is crazy quick, my build is meticulous and I get comments all the time from people that think it’s a factory ebike, any questions on the setup let me know

Comment

• Per L
              Per L commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice build! What chainring did you use and how is the chainline, can you use the biggest cogs in the rear?

Hi, i recently bought Trek Roscoe 7 on a ride to work scheme with the idea of a future conversion, well my knees are telling me that time has arrived ( as well as the fun factor) and I'm drawn to the Bafang mid mount. Is there any problems I need to be aware of or is it a straight forward build?
            Any advice appreciated

Comment

Working...
            X