Picking the right chainring size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking the right chainring size

Firstly I apologize if this has been asked before, and please point me in the right direction.

My setup: BBS02 750W, 48V. Chainring is 48T, Rear cog is 14-28. Rim Size is 700C, Tire Size is 38.

When I lift the rear wheel and max out throttle, Wheel spins at 21.1mph on 28T and 42.4mph on 14T. According to www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed the BBS02 would have to run at cadence of 151 for me to achieve those speeds. That seems to me awfully fast, and I feel like I'm taxing the BBS02 even in first gear.

30T mighty mini appears to me too small, and might limit my top speed. I think 36T will be a better fit, is my only choice to get an adapter and race face narrow wide 36T chainring?

Off the ground speed has no basis in reality. Most calculators are pretty close to ground speed. Karl and others like the big chainwheels on bbs02 I think they're a recipe for an overheated motor. These motors like high rpm's. I think the readily accessible 42T are a great fit.especiall with 11T-34T

Comment

I agree with Louis - a 42T front and 11-34T is what I fitted on my BBS02 750W and, IMO, it's the best all around combination for uphill torque and speed on the flat. I tried a 36T chain ring on an adapter and not only was the chain line crap but I always felt like the peddle cadence was too fast. With 42-11, I can comfortably pedal up to the motor cut off at ~50kph.

Comment

With a 36 tooth on front of my BBS02 and an 11-34 cassette, my mountain bike will pull wheelies in 1st and 2nd gears. The 44 tooth that came with it wasn't bad on the road.

Comment

Working...
        X