Shopping list for a DIY ebike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping list for a DIY ebike

Hi, I'm thinking about converting my old epic 29" into an ebike but I have no idea what I need or what are the preferred kits out there. I'm hoping to keep it under $1000- any suggestions?

Hi Beth - a few questions if I may:
    1. "epic 29" - is this a Specialized Epic 29", full suspension bike - if so, what year? If not, what kind of bike is it (and pictures of the pedal / bottom bracket and back wheel hub area would help)
    2. What do you intend to do with this bike (on-road / off, commuting, errands, how far, how fast, etc.)
    3. How are your bike mechanical skills, and do you have tools, and/or do you have a mechanic available?
    A $1,000 budget point would put you into starting end of the kits, such as a rear wheel hub motor, or possibly a Bafang BBS02 mid motor with perhaps a 48 volt side Shark Pack. More info is needed though.

Comment

The major things that would be required in this transformation are motor, battery and charger. It's up to you which motor conversion do you prefer. There are two good motor conversions hub and mid-motor conversion.

Comment

I would recommend buying a BBS02 from Luna. That is a fine start.

Comment

I just did my first conversion on a fat tire with a BBSHD from Luna Cycle. It was about $1600 for the conversion which is a little more than budget but it really depends on what you want. The forum is a good resource as well as the folks at luna cycle. ncrkd is correct, we need more information on the bike you have and what you need it to do.

Comment

Working...
          X