Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a adult “kickbike” “kickscooter” with only China parts. (Total noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a adult “kickbike” “kickscooter” with only China parts. (Total noob)

hi all. New to this forum, and I’ve tried using search to find similar builds, but either I’m using the wrong search words, or it’s just not to many done this kind of builds..(?)

my my dream is to build a adult big “stand up kickbike” using cheap Chinese parts.
    I’m new to ebikes, but I’ve done a lot of diy rc builds (mostly drones), so I do have some basic understanding of lipo, brushless motors, esc and so on.

So first of all, if anyone have the correct name for this kind of “bikes” in English so I can do a better search pleas let me know (English is NOT my native language, coming from Norway).

i’ve found a frame I like, and thinking to use a hub motor on the back wheel, because I think this would give me most torque. I’m a heavy dude, and need torque before speed.
    I’m hoping to build something that have decent range (event with my weight), and does around 20 km/t (about 13mph).

So I’m starting on bare ground, so any tip in what I’m should be looking for when it comes to motors, Watts, voltage and so on would be highly welcome!

Can’t help you much with hub motors because I have no personal experience with them. I did put a MY1018 450W/36V motor on a Niner Jet 9 setup as a single speed and I was able to get about 30 miles of range with a 36V 16Ah/576Wh 10S5P with BMS made up of Samsung 3200mAh Li-Ion 18650 Cell battery pack assisting with pedalling from stops, then using the throttle only at about 20mph. I weigh 230lbs.

I have seen some nice looking billet alloy rear hub motor rims that might look and work well on a kick bike. If I can find them I will post up.

eBay has nice LED display twist throttles with ignition switch on/off that I just bought for that 36V setup from China cheap.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-99V-Ele...sid=m570.l1313

I’d like to see a kick bike electrified, so I’m subscribing to your thread. Good luck!
    Last edited by Rider; 08-10-2018, 02:04 PM.
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

I’ve been looking on hub motors like this, but the all have PAS sensors, so I’m guess I need some other controller since there is no pedals.

Comment

• nfmisso
        nfmisso commented
        Editing a comment
        the controllers that come with these kits are the cheapest, and are used worldwide. They work fine without PAS and with a throttle. You just need to purchase the throttle of your choice.

If you went with one of these simple MY1018 kits mounted on the right side of the rear wheel with a chain to a freewheel single speed, then the kick bike will function as a normal kick bike until you hit the throttle. That’s a huge advantage in my mind; to be able to use it as intended, but have the “option” to throttle up when you want. Note: These “brush” motors will run in either direction by simply reversing the wires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/450W-36-V-e...sid=m570.l1313

That said, the easiest method might be to use a front wheel geared hub motor. Just bolt it in place of the original front wheel “with torque arms” and add the battery.
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Here’s a couple front wheel electric kick bikes.
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

This custom creation is my favorite so far. The batteries are in and on the fork tubes, controller in the headlight location and it has a rear hub motor wheel. Super clean look!
          Last edited by Rider; 08-25-2018, 10:16 AM.
          MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

I know a guy built one of these with our Mac kit, he said it was a blast.
            A geared hub like this would have an unstoppable amount of torque with the 12T option in such a small wheel. Especially with the sinewave controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	602af12c9c8540ea8c076ae22c9e8773.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	71355

We show a build like this in one of our videos actually

https://youtu.be/DTitsvZch6s?t=134

Comment

Rider reason for motor on the small back weel is that I think this would generate fhe most torque (?). I rather do 20km/t up hill then 40km/t on flat if you know what I mean.
              paxtana very interesting! I have to take a closer look at this kit.
              Do you have any links to it? I’m new to this ebike world so I have no knowing to where to source parts and so on.

thanks for the taking time to help me both of you!

Comment

Sure it's this one just make sure you select 12t if you want optimized for torque https://lunacycle.com/mac-motor-asi-...mance-hub-kit/

Comment

paxtana Nice, thank you!
                  So I need to pay about 1000usd for a setup like this.
                  That was more the I thought when I was looking for a Chinese route.

edit (text got missing):

what kind of range do you consider “normal” for a 1k setup like this?

-I understand that you sell this stuff so I guess you would advise me on go a more budget route, but if you would, what would you have me looking at? I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from China direct back when you just couldn’t go buy a drone ready to fligh in the store, so I was thinking on doing the same thing on this bike project to see how economical I could build this and still got a rig that works.

Last edited by tormod_norway; 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

That's a high performance setup compared to most other kits, what we specialize in is high performance.

Very few kits use sinewave despite the reduced noise, smoother acceleration, 10% increased efficiency etc, because trap controllers are cheaper. Mac is also well known for quality and the gearing and turn count lends itself particularly well to this scenario.

Yeah you can go cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Anyway the kit is 500 not 1000. If you are on a tight budget and you're into drone stuff maybe you have some lipo packs you can use?

Comment

paxtana yeah, i that's true. Of course you get what you pay for. I haven't been thinking of reuse my lipos, but that is not at bad idea. What kind of C rating do I need in this kind of setup? Is there a thumbrule on distance/mah?

Comment

It's around 25 watthours/mile. C rate is probably a non issue once you have enough in parallel to get a decent distance. There's some guides on using lipo for this on endless sphere. Assuming you have enough in series for like 48 or 52v should be fine with a continuous discharge rate equal or greater to 30A. Most lipo bricks can do a lot of current so this should not be a problem

Comment

Golden Motor has wheels with sine wave controllers that come in small sizes. I have the Magic Pie Edge (500 watt) in a bike with a 20" wheel (also comes as small as 16") and it pulls me up steep hills with no problems. It comes with cruise and not PAS. It's simple to install and operate and it is almost completely silent when operating.

Comment

How about something like this? I weigh 280 lbs. it goes 30mph with me on it and over 20 miles on a charge!

Comment

Working...
                            X