Electric Sidehack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Sidehack

Finally starting on e sidehack build. Its life started as and Impact Sidehack. When I finally got it it was rusted and worn out. (attached picture is not of mine)

Got it back from Paint.

Comment

Putting it Back together.

Comment

I decided to go with the Luna Double Speed Hub motor. The rear one would not fit the dropouts, so I went with the front one. I went back and forth between mounting it on the Hack wheel or the front wheel. I finally decided on the front because the Hack wheel often lifts off the ground on turns.

Comment

That is very Cool. It looks like a death machine but still cool.

Comment

I got the Motor yesterday and put it on. This is my first hubmotor build. I have done 2 bbs02's and one bbshd. what do you guys use to put your controller in? Does anyone have any suggestions on a battery? I though about building the Hack platform up and putting it under there???

Comment

With the mid-drives I did not have to worry about a controller. there is a wire on the controller I can't figure out what it is for. (no instructions with it). I have the wire going to the display. I have the power wire, and what I thing is the cadence sensing wire. (can't figure out how the cadence sensor mounts). Then there is another wire with a red a green and yellow wire coming to a plug?

Comment

Originally posted by tlcaffall View Post
                I got the Motor yesterday and put it on. This is my first hubmotor build. I have done 2 bbs02's and one bbshd. what do you guys use to put your controller in? Does anyone have any suggestions on a battery? I though about building the Hack platform up and putting it under there???
                The controller needs air to stay cool and they tend to have a messy wiring problem. I used a large under seat bag to hide some of the wires in my installation.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	2017_11_02_13_55_57_ProShot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.4 KB ID:	50178

Comment

Here is where she stands on the build process. Again I am still working out battery and controller position. Calfee20, I notice a lot of bike put their controllers in a black plastic box. It sure looks cleaner. you don't recommend that because it will get too hot?

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It depends on how you drive. Mine has hardly gotten warm so I probably could have covered it up. The controller has fins though and the heatsink for the fets screws to the case to transfer the heat to the case sooo?

I dont get it. What will the side car be used for? It looks like someone stands up tall on it while holding the hand rails? Seems scary to me. Sitting down seems slightly safer - only slightly. Not knocking it - just curious what its intended mission is for.

Comment

• nfmisso
                    nfmisso commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Google: "sidecar racing" to see what the 2nd person does.

• JPLabs
                    JPLabs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That 2nd person was called the monkey, by MC road racers, anyway. Dynamic ballast. Must be fearless, deathwish optional. Sidehacks were some of the fastest machines on the track. Sometimes the held track record.

While that bike might corner great, it will also generate some serious lateral forces on the wheels and axle fixing points, due to cornering level instead of leaned over, if you push it hard. So, if you do ride it like that, you will want to keep an eye on your spokes and axles, they will be stressed pretty severely on good turns.

Neat!

It is a hoot to ride. I mostly ride it with my kids around the neighborhood. I haven't tried to increase the performance so right now the max speed is under 20 mph to keep it safer for the kids. It is neat to ride around the neighborhood and talk to my six year old. I have had as many as me and three kids on it at once.

Comment

We built a similar sidehack with a Schwinn Stingray when I was a kid. I enjoyed being the "monkey" on the sidehack hanging out off the inside of the turns. Saw an electric one in Huntington Beach last year at the Air Races. Looked a lot like what you are building.

I've also been the "sea monkey" (if there is such a thing) in Hobie Cat races off the coast of Long Beach in my twenties. You basically do the same thing, hang off the lifted pontoon with your feet on the rail and a rope supporting you from the master. The idea is to get your weight as far out off the edge as possible. Once my friend got knocked off the back of the Cat by a wave. This released the sail and slammed the lifted pontoon down on the water as I went swinging around the mast on the support rope like a rag doll. We were lucky the sail released, which basically stopped the Cat from sailing off into the sunset. My friend was able to swim forward to me. I knew nothing about sailing at the time. I was just dead "sea monkey" weight to make him faster. Great memories!

On a motorcycle/bicycle sidehack you don't have anything attached to you, so mishaps usually send you flying off the bike...
                    Last edited by Rider; 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM.
                    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
                    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
                    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Been having problems with my bike not turning off. Has anyone run into this problem? It only happens at full charge. When battery gets down to about 52v it functions properly??

Comment

• JPLabs
                        JPLabs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        tlcaffal,

Never heard of that, odd one. You should post in BBS troubleshooting or start your own thread with the question, though, instead of posting in someone else's unrelated thread. People will see it, then, and this thread can stay on track.

Good luck finding the answer.

Another video of the same problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X