Tandem ebike... thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandem ebike... thoughts...

So I love to e-cruise but not my bride. Considering a tandem build.

Looks to me like a hub might be the way to go.

So, what are the considerations? Wheel size seems to match at 26". There is plenty of room to mount several batteries to place in parallel to extend range. What about 2 hubbed motors? How would I integrate the wiring harness to place several batteries in parallel (increasing total amperage, not voltage)?

On hub drives, are these free wheels? I can find tandems at Walmart on the cheap for ~$300. But these are rim braked - how hard is it to set up disk mounts?

DrD
    Last edited by DrDave; 05-28-2016, 01:22 PM.

Try to get a tandem with discs on it already, hub motor with disc will slide right in. Aftermarket add on disc brackets are sketchy especially on a tandem.

Comment

Originally posted by Outsidediameter View Post
      Try to get a tandem with discs on it already, hub motor with disc will slide right in. Aftermarket add on disc brackets are sketchy especially on a tandem.

Thanks. The more I think about it the more straight forward it becomes. The price points for the tandems with disk brakes is much higher however.

As regards battery configuration, I thought about it...all I'd need to do is link the batteries then connect to the harness. Seems pretty simple.

So, looking at donor bikes for now.

Any other thoughts?

DrD

Comment

You might want to give this a read. http://santanatandems.com/Techno/Und...ngBraking.html

I've ridden some tandems, they are beasts.

Comment

The the regen from the direct drive hub motor really helps stop my tandem bicycle (as long as the battery is not fully charged) and I like being able to put some energy back into the battery instead of just heating up my wheels on long downhills. My rim brakes are not really sufficient. Based on the article above, I will look at trying to mount some "long leverage" v brakes.

Comment

Try the rear hub first (whatever style hub you like), and then...if you decide you'd like just a little more "oomph", use a geared hub on the front. If you choose a direct drive hub for the rear, it would give you the option of regen as an additional brake...

Comment

Working...
            X