Mongoose malus and sram nx eagle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mongoose malus and sram nx eagle

Hello to all. I have a mongoose malus fat tire with bbshd installed. Everything works very well.

I would like to convert the rear gearing to sram nx eagle 50-11 free hub/cassette?

Not sure about the terminology but my gears thread on to the hub. Several things that might not let this work. Malus is a 7 speed. Can I use only the gears from 50 down til I run out of room?

I would also have to change out the hub of the wheel with fb-2000 8-10 speed hub that will fit in the malus frame. Will the next eagle fit this hub splines?

Maybe someone knows and easier way. A friend of mine has a motorbecane bbshd bike with the 50 tooth and I want to convert my bike.

Thanks in advance

The SRAM 12 speed groupsets require an XD freehub, which almost definitely is not on your bike. You most likely have a Shimano/SRAM HG freehub, and the SRAM 12 speed cassettes will not be compatible. There are some aftermarket cassettes out there that are either 11 or 12 speed and come with the rear 50t cog. If that's what you're after I'd recommend finding an HG compatible cassette, the SRAM 11 or 12 speed shifters and derailleurs should be compatible.

Here is a link to an article by a popular ebike guy on the larger cassettes. Hopefully it's helpful.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2018/0...at-2500-watts/

Comment

Thanks. for the link
      I took the wheel apart and installed cassette style hub. Lots of fun with the spokes. I am waiting for a 11-52 tooth cassette to arrive.
      I need to purchase a compatible derailleur and matching shifter. The cheaper the better. Any model numbers anyone can help with?

Comment

Which cassette did you get specifically? Different cassettes have different requirements as to derailleurs and shifters

Comment

Bolany 11-52 tooth 11 speed. eBay. I plan on removing one of the high gears to make it work on 10 speed hub. Also will use a drop for the derailleur for the 52 tooth. Suppose to arrive today. Maybe

Comment

The cassette arrived and I installed. All 11 speeds fit.

I bought sram gx long cage and gx shifter.
            unable to shift on to the last 2 big gears....the jockey will won't clear.

Anybody know if a wolf tooth extender will work?

Maybe a different derailleur. I can't find a clear answer on Google.

Comment

A 52t low gear on the cassette is massive. I don't know if a 12 speed derailleur would work, let alone an 11. If I was you I'd pull the 52t off, put the high gear back on, then see how it goes. If that doesn't work the extender might get you that 2nd to low cog. I dunno how you're gonna do 52t without a 12 speed der and probably the extender on top of that. Not so good for a system with a lot of tension and force.

Comment

It ain't looking good for the home team at all. I put an extender on late yesterday. A lot of things are all screwed up. I might have to take the cassette apart and settle with the 46.
                shifting looks like it might work but the chain is rubbing the tire.
                I might take 4 gears off and spacer the big gears out toward the deraileur? I've been told I can't use a 7 speed system like this.
                Last edited by 7bru; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

I was able to weld a extension on the hanger to make it work. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                  X