Brakes and Mid Drive moters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes and Mid Drive moters?

I will be converting an REI Buzz to electric. I have noticed everyone has disc brakes and the Buzz has old school Sram Via caliper brakes. My question is do you need disc brakes due to increased speed/power or will I be fine with my set up. Thanks.

You don't NEED brakes at all......you could coast and foot drag. So, no, you don't need disc brakes, either, if you stay out of situations which require them. Like stopping fast when it's wet.

See what I mean? Depends on what you want and how you ride. Judgement call.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thats what I thought, Thanks. So begins my build.

Comment

I have the same bike and it works quite well with the BBSHD. I would worry more about shock absorption than brakes, safety and comfort-wise. I underestimated how rough it is going 25-35 mph on a no-suspension bike. Minor bumps can jar your hands off the grips if you're not paying attention. I added a Suntour NCS seatpost and will be getting front shocks.

Comment

My personal opinion is to get hydraulic brakes with the largest rotors available.

I recently had a car pull in front of me while on my e-bike and I immediately applied maximimum braking with mechanical disc brakes and 160mm rotors, and I still hit the car. I upgraded to hydraulic disc brakes with 203mm rotors.

Comment

My Avid mechanical disc brakes with a 180mm rotor up front are pretty impressive.
            All that with my BBSHD.
            I've ridden intermediate level downhill racing courses on them, and never felt they were inadequate.

Comment

If the brakes you have can lock your wheels with the extra motor/battery weight, you're probably not going to stop any faster in an emergency with disc brakes as that will be a function of tire vs road friction vs momentum.

Disc brakes are usually more progressive though and can give you more controlled braking.

Comment

• CraigAustin
                CraigAustin commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said.

thanks everybody, good info.

Comment

Disc brakes also maintain most of their power in wet/muddy conditions. Rim brakes absolutely suck once they are wet.

Comment

• CraigAustin
                  CraigAustin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I guess that's true. Never really thought about it because I reduce my speed a lot on wet roads. Too many spills.

I barely even ride on roads, I put most of my miles on single track trails, and for a few months a year here, they are wet/muddy.

Comment

Working...
                X