No announcement yet.

Trek Navigator 400 IGH TSDZ2 project.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started to mount the battery today. I marked where the bracket went with the battery installed, and then played around with the bare bracket. The bottle screws ended up very low on the downtube due to the small frame, and one of them turned out to be in the right place to act as a pivot to swing the battery bracket out to the side for removal. I got a couple 1 1/4" washers that fit over the bottle lugs to get some area for support and filled in behind them with JB Weld so the battery can't rock sideways.Drilled my pivot hole and bolted it down with a couple fender washers inside the wiring compartment of the bracket. I'm using all stainless hardware for this. I used a button head screw because it has a wider head than a socket head. The drill press gods were smiling on me today. The battery doesn't touch the seat tube. A B&W business card slips right in. A glossy color business card you have to push. I haven't figured out a latch for the front yet. I'm also having some shifter indexing issues. Sometimes it works great sometimes it skips like it's between gears. There's a local IGH guru but I haven't seen him in years. The bikes pretty old but very low miles. Could need an oil change in the hub, or new shifter cables.
    Do you guys just hardwire the bracket to the motor or always use connectors? My kit came with a nice connector on the battery, but bullet connectors on the motor. I haven't located a matching battery connector So it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I'm hedging my bets a little bit here with the Nexus 7 speed hub. I found a recent model Nexus 8 speed compete with roller brake and shifter that was taken off of a brand new bike that was converted to a hub motor for a rental fleet. I'll keep it as a spare until I see how the 7 speed does. If it works out OK then maybe upgrade to a 24" 8 speed wheelset with Maxxis Hookworms.

I finally hooked up the wiring and rode it. A lot tamer than a BBSHD. If you don't push on the pedals it doesn't do much, but comes in smooth and quiet when you do. I guess i got lucky on the noise issue. Nothing to complain about with my example.The biggest difference is with the BBSHD adding assist and just spinning willl get you down the road. This one at any assiat you have to be mashing also or the power drops off.
      But it's about as simple to ride as possible. I'm just using the default settings which are in Km/h and who knows what wheel size. The frame is about 3 sizes too small for me so I need to get someone else to try it and see how the gearing is.
      Here's a gear chart with the 7 and 8 speed ratios giving the equivalentl casette cogs when using a 20t rear cog.
      https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/techn...s/inter-8.html
      The 8 speed direct drive 5th gear and progressive 5-8 gear splits could actually work well for traffic takoff and acceleration. It was considered a disadvantage on pedal bikes. The first 4 gears can be ridden with little or no assist if desired. The1:1 5th, and 1:1.61 8th is pretty colse to the range a Sturrmey Archer 3 speed provides.
      The 24x2.5 Hookworms are the same dimeter as 26x1.35 tires so I will probably play around with those and see about handling and matbe a Marzocchi fork i have sitting around. Urban Assault/Comfort /Ebike sounds like fun. Trying to figure out how to get a Stingray banana seat to work with a Thudbuster,
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

The TSDZ default setttings were 26" wheel, 25kph limit, and kph for units. Changing units to mph just changes the display, the motor speed limit is still kph and needed to be raised to 40kph for 25mph.
        With a gripshifter you have to be careful to release the grip or you can mess up the indexing of the IGH. But this is where you get the full range gear dumps an IGH can provide. So far so good. I've seen 25MPH confirmed, the slightly long first gear is no problem for flat off pavement with assist available. Maybe the TSDZ rubber gear will protect the 7 speed IGH? I have an 8 speed ready if neeeded.
        Upgraded the battery pivot bolt from 5mm bolt to 6mm stud with a bare shank at the pivot area. The 2 ended stud allows a tight anchor in the frame, and a seoarately adjustable tension on the pivot. I used a 15/64" drill for the 6mm pivot and got a nice snug fit from doing that. I can move up to an 8mm pivot if needed, but I haven't found a 6-8mm step stud with a full 8mm shank in the middle.

Comment

‚Äč

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	85235 Here it is with fenders,center stand,Trek rack, Thudbuster LT. I also added a loud electronic horn with with referee whistle sound including echo effect. I seem to have created a Goth Bike.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I played around withe front fork today. I wasn't pleased that the large Gary Fisher was more responsive handling than the small Frame Trek. Swapped the spring stacks and that helped. but they're not the same length so I had to put the short spring back in the GF. I put in the new uograded metal preload adjuster which was set at the low limit. That left the old plastic adjuster just sitting there, so I cut it down 1/4" to lower the fork some more. It's not adjustable any more, but it got the stiffer sprung fork down into the travel enough that it's a responsive bike now. That's not the original fork for this bike, so a little extra tuning is to be expected I guess.
              I had to find a tail light that mounted up inside the saddle ( that saddle originally had one there) If I put the seat down for a smaller rider the rack knocked the tail light off.
              The jury is still out on the quick release IGH setup. I found the motor could pull some slack into the chain, so I lubed the threads, and the cam surface and gained about an extra 1/2 turn of tension on the releases. But QR setup is usually not recommended for horizontal drop outs. I may need to make a chain tensioner for the drive side. I have it set up for tool less tire changes in the rear. Not very common on IGH/ Roller brake bikes.

Comment

Took the Trek for a shakedown today. 22mph on a bumpy paved bike path with tree roots under it. Nothing fell off. Not a sign of chaindrop, chainsuck or any of the other derailer nonsense.
                The Europa fork is actually better for this than the 2 stage sprung Gary fFsher. The GF is very plush on sidewalk strips and cobble stones, and does take a firm set for high speed cornering which suits my riding. But for the bike path test the firmer deeper springing on the Trek works very well. These are both oil damped forks with no sticking. The low gear would be a little high for offroad, but with assisit it's pretty good actually. The biggest surprise so far with this DIY bike is no surprises. With no throttle this bike doesn't shock the driveline the way the BBSHD does. I'm hoping the 7 speed IGH holds up because it's really nice.

Comment

I saw a soft rated spring for a Rockshox XC28 fork listed for sale so I took a chance on it. It fit the Europa fork and was softer, but a little bit longer free length. The 2 metal preload adjuster kits I bought included new blank plugs for the RH leg, and I used those and some spacers to get the preload sorted out. It was nice and plush but the handling was mushy. I've been there before with the Gary Fisher build, so I stuffed a heavy rider elastomer inside the spring and trimmed it to length so now I have 2 stage springing like my other bike. I still have the original spring and preload adjuster, and for any trail or downhill riding I would put it back in. But for flat South Florida street riding this is what I want. Soft going straight ahead, but firm and quick when cornering.
                  LMAO almost1300 views on my Gary Fisher build and I finally got a "like". Somebody "liked" that i got a flat tire and walked home 5 miles late at night. I mention it here because i don't want to bump that thread for this.

Comment

Working...
                  X