No announcement yet.

Trek Navigator 400 IGH TSDZ2 project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recieved my new shifters for this. They're all different in cable outlet placement, width on bars and plays well with other controls. The original 7 Speed IGH shifter the bike came with was OK. The gear display was top and forward, and the cable came out there also. brakes and horn underneath. The 8 speed Nexus was too wide and moved the brakes and horn button too far in on the bars, The cable outlet was at the bottom and had to run under the brake lever.. The Nexus combo brake/shifter lever was OK except they put a wide shift display mechanism next to the gripshift that covers up the horn button. Since the shift/brake are one piece the cable out let is no problem. It's top front. The winner seems to be the $13 Microshift Nexus 8 shifter. Small footprint on the bars, simple gear display. The bottom cable outlet hits the brake handle bolt because this brake used to have a bell on it. I have to fix this brake to fit because of the roller brake leverage it has, but no big deal. So Shimano IGH shifters are all over the place for size and fitment. If you buy the whole gruppo they came with I'm sure they work just fine. But having a horn button within reach was not part of their plan. The combo brake lever and other Nexus brakes have a convertable lever ratio for roller brakes, or disc/V brakes.

I found what I think is physically the right shifter for this project. Shimano SL-8S30 is a basic nexus 8 gripshifter. No wide gear display. Cable out the bottom.

BUT- Sheldon Brown shows different cable pull/gear between the top cable shifters, and the bottom cable Nexus/Alfine shifters.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribshe...able-pull.html
    Where the Mocroshift end up in all this remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 08-09-2019, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      So I found a Shimano SL6000 Nexus Revoshifter that should work with my 6001 series IGH axle. I'll try the Microshift first while I wait for the base model Nexus part to arrive. My hub came with a shifter so I thought I was good to go. So it pays to do some shopping before you buy shifters for these things.

I put it back together. I reused the IM 70 roller brake because the cables were already set up for it, and I didn't see any advantage to the newer IM80. The Microshift Nexus shifter is compact and shifts just fine. It doesn't come with any instructions though, There is a setting for cable length in 1st gear that needs to be done so a Shimano instruction sheet is useful for that.
    The 7 speed was a slight compromise both for 1st gear being a little high , and 7 being a little low. The 8 speed is just about perfect for the 750W TSDZ2. It's now a legitimate 25mph bike, and 1st gear is as low as necessary. The 7 speed was low miles and I owned it since new. It simply wasn't up to 750W power. The 8 speed doesn't seem to have any issues with that level of power. PAS only with an 8 speed IGH gripshift it's about as simple to ride as possible. I'm runnningthe same 44t X 19T cogs I had before.

There is a cooling mod for the TSDZ2 on page 220 of the TSDZ2 thread at Endlessphere. 75* to 58*C. with readily available materials.
    https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...788&start=5475
    I have the parts to add a throttle and the open source firmware. But at full assist it's pretty nice the way it is.
    I'm kind of gald I put this hub on this bike. The Rapid Rise 8 speed derailer on my Gary Fisher is a pretty slick setup in it's own right. No need to undo that if I don't have to.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll stick this in as a comment trying not to bump the thread. I got the Shimano SL-C6000 Nexus 8 shifter. It's about 1/4" wider than the Microshift part. But doesn't cover up any other controls. I use ODI Ruffian shorty clamp on grips when I'm trying out parts. When I finalize my build I switch to ESI Extra Chunky foam grips and can make up a custom length grip then. I can also use 1 clamp on the Ruffian and let it hang out past the end of the bar if I need to. I now own 4 different 8 speed Nexus shifters.

Since I built this on a small frame it's very hard for me to ride it. So I just ordered a black Schwinn Stingray long saddle. I have some ideas to try and make it work with a Thudbuster LT seatpost. If it works I might make a separate thread fon that project for the cruiser users here.

Comment

I didn't poat any photos of the "switchbalde" battery mount when I did it. But I took one later here.
      https://electricbike.com/forum/filed...8&d=1575484709
      https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...unting-problem

Comment

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sticking this in comments to avoid bumping this thread. But for anyone following this I've carried out my threat to install a Banana Seat with suspension
        seat post on this bike. Passenger pegs too! It's posted with a photo further up in this forum.
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...eat-bs-project
        Last edited by Retrorockit; 01-15-2020, 05:24 AM.

I saw a 26x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm at one of my local shops and bought it to put on an old offroad wheelset I have sitting around. Right now the only bike it will fit is my XC bike. It will be more versatile than the 26x2.0 pure slicks on there now But the 24x2.5 Hookworm has been on my radar for some time. I did some measuring and some math and the 24" HW is too short to use with my present 60mm fork, but is just about right for a Marzoccki MX Comp 85mm I have sitting around. I will have to have wheels built. On the rear I could either try and stuff a 26x2.5 into the frame. The tire will fit but IDK about the horizintal dropouts that open at the front. Or weld on another dropout slot below the frame and go 24" at the rear also. I can tweak the geometry a little with the add on rear dropout if I need to. The rear brake won't be a problem since the Shimano roller brake will just move along with the axle. Maybe I'll build the 24" front and put the 24/26 combo on the XC bike to see how it looks.
      The other option would be to modify the Marzocchi for 65mm travel and go 26/26 Hookworms. But toe overlap is real on this small frame bike.
      Any thoughts on which way to go with this?
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 01-20-2020, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I tried the 26x2.5 Hookworms on my XC bike. The heavy DH rims, and Urban Assault tires really kill the acceleration on the light XC bike. Very nice on sandy flat trails. If I was taking a long ride in a national park I would use them. But on the street w/o motor the Mavic Crossrides with 26x2 Slicks are hard to beat. Nothing lets you know what wheels/tires do like putting them on a pedal bike. I don't think they belong on this TSDZ2 bike. The narrow 36 spoke wheels, and 26x2 Schwalbe Big Apples that re already there are a nice compromise between the 2 wheelsets I tried on the XC bike, and in a good way.
        The Sun Rhynolite/ XT wheelset, 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworms, and Marzocchi 85mm fork belong on a heavier faster BBSHD bike. Maybe an Urban Assault Beach Cruiser?
        I might do the double dropout frame mod anyway.. Even if I don't use it now. The IGH /Internal roller brake allows this. and if I want to re purpose this bike, a fork and tire swap will do it.

Comment

Working...
        X