Bbshd 120mm cut down to fit 68-73mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbshd 120mm cut down to fit 68-73mm

Can a 120mm bbshd be modified to fit a 68-73 bike? If the axle is removed from the drive can it (bottom bracket tube if you will) be sawed down, rethreaded, and install the 68-73mm axle? Asking for a friend
    Last edited by dkindstrom; 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM.

You missed the Anniversary sale to , didn't you . They have the size you need in a regular kit but they wont sell it to you , I tried . I'm going outside to buy . Dont want to but a guy has to save a buck .

Comment

• dkindstrom
      dkindstrom commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure what kit you’re referring to? Please elaborate.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jangles

Email us at support@lunacycle.com and I think I can help you with a discount.

• jangles
      jangles commented
      Editing a comment
      Highvoltage , email sent . Thx, jangles

What kit are you referring to?

Comment

Hi jangles - I think dkindstrom has a friend who wants to move a 120mm motor they already own to a narrower 68mm-ish frame, and wants to know if it's feasible to shorten the motor.

The answer is yeah, I guess ya could, given a well equipped shop - I don't know of anybody equipped to do it for a fee, other than maybe those people that stretch the BBS02 out. I wonder what a metric cutting die that big cost?

I think I'd try swapping the motor with somebody or look for a used one - first.
      Last edited by ncmired; 03-09-2019, 06:11 AM.
      BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
        Hi jangles - I think dkindstrom has a friend who wants to move a 120mm motor they already own to a narrower 68mm-ish frame, and wants to know if it's feasible to shorten the motor.

The answer is yeah, I guess ya could, given a well equipped shop - I don't know of anybody equipped to do it for a fee, other than maybe those people that stretch the BBS02 out. I wonder what a metric cutting die that big cost?

I think I'd try swapping the motor with somebody or look for a used one - first.
        Who can stretch one out ? I have a 68mm bbhsd with 3 hrs on it and would like to put it in my fat bike as I am tired of the Modena already .

Comment

Originally posted by jangles View Post

Who can stretch one out ? I have a 68mm bbhsd with 3 hrs on it and would like to put it in my fat bike as I am tired of the Modena already .
          Just trade with the OP's buddy? He needs a narrow one.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post

Just trade with the OP's buddy? He needs a narrow one.
            His is 120 can I use that on a 100mm BB ? I just messaged him . Maybe he'll respond .
            Last edited by jangles; 05-29-2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              It should work, the stick out on left side will be 20 mm more. I used a 120 on my 100mm Sturgis Bullets and the pedals are a little wider than usual, and I really don't notice or mind. Not necessarily a bad thing. And, you will be able to fit a locknut for sure with a 120 motor.

Chain line should be same with either.

If you are worried about exactly symmetrical pedals with minimum width, though, 120mm may not work out. That's the tradeoff.

Originally posted by Wilmot296
            Don’t panic. Lots of my builds have the secondary reduction gear that presses up against the chainstay. If you have at least 12mm of threads showing on the non-drive side then you’re golden.
            If you are responding to me you lost me at don't panic and
            secondary reduction gear that presses up against the chainstay

Comment

Working...
            X