water bottle mounting upgrade question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water bottle mounting upgrade question?

I mounted my battery on a single water bottle bolt so it could swing out to the side to be removed. This means that 1- 5mm bolt is holding my battery in. The seems less than ideal.
    I looked into upgrading the hardware there and found that the threads can be drilled out to 5mm, and then tapped to 6x1.0mm thread size. This of course involves removing metal in both steps. has anyone done this mod and had problems, or is it known good procedure? By going up to 6mm I can then get a 6mm to 8mm step adapter stud and have 1-8mm bolt mounting my battery, which seems more realistic.

https://www.amazon.com/Metric-Plated...-1-spons&psc=1 All you need to install one is a longer bolt for the size your using and the next size nut up put the nut between the bolt and the rivnut. Youll need a wrench to hold the nut and a tool to tighten the bolt. You will know when its set. or you can buy the pricey install tool for them

Comment

One is definitely not enough. I had my bottle battery mounted to two bolts. In a slow speed crash in a parking lot, one of the mounts pulled right out of the frame

2019-03-28 08.47.39.jpg
      I don't think a larger diameter screw would have helped here. I wouldn't do less than two. For my new bike I just ordered a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/Grin-Technolo...dp/B078T6QRQB/ I don't plan to destroy a frame to test my theory, but I think that these might be able to take the stress better than a rivenut through a thin frame.
      Last edited by idearat; 03-29-2019, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have a couple unused water bottle rivnuts on my Gary Fisher that i can try moving up to 6mm and see if it holds proper torque. The Trek/GF comfort frames are actually pretty thick metal.
        I just wondered fi this was already a known mod.

Comment

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Know exactly the location you need them in and hit your local bike shop up they should already have the tools to install rivenuts that's all water bottle bosses are. Ask around some may have the larger size you're looking for. Alternatively they do sell an adapter that clamps on your frame and provides the bosses but I believe they are all going to be M5 unless you mod it.

Comment

I went ahead and did it myself. Tried it on the Gary Fisher with an extra bottle mount. Worked fine. Drillling inside the small frame took some creativity, but moving up to 6mm threads got a lot of options for studs.
            I also went to an old school air cooled VW shop and got some 6-8mm step studs. But I found a nice 6mm stud with a full 6mm shank in the middle. This got a separate thread for mounting, and another for the pivot, with an unthreaded pivot surface. I couldn't get a 6mm drill on Sunday afternoon so I went with 15/64". This got a tight slip fit for the pivot, and a couple stainless washers and a nylock nut to hold it down. I'll svae the 8mm size for future referance. I don't have one that size with a full 8mm shank. I might step up to 6mm for the Gf battery mount bolts also. I used the existing Trek rivnuts in the frame.

Comment

Working...
            X