Proposed build. Trek Navigator + Bafang BBSHD + Shimano IHG 8 speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed build. Trek Navigator + Bafang BBSHD + Shimano IHG 8 speed

Maybe this will be a good first build. I want to pull a small trailer with my inflatable canoe. Is there anything I should be careful with? I never rode an electric yet but have had many motorcycles and while I like to pedal I might just like to cruise along at times just on the motor. There are a few steep hills where I live. All comments welcome.

I built a Gary Fisher Solstice ( which is a badge engineered Navigator) BBSHD, and a Trek Navigator 400 7 speed IGH with a much smaller TSDZ2 as a guest bike. There is a thread for each in this forum.
    The GF needs lots of chain and driveline maintenance. The huge Wippermann 1 speed E bike IGH chain should eliminate a lot of that. You will probably need a 42T offset chain ring which can give a good range of gears with the 8 speed IGH and a 26" bike.
    Here is a gear calculator that includes IGH hubs
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Z420-3-7...item590ef1cc97
    Put in your tire size, and for gear units selsct speed @ 90 RPM unless you are a trained rider and have a special cadence ability. To protect the IGH you might consider a legal 750W tune, but that's up to you.
    My BBSHD is rock solid at 1500W. Everything else in the driveline is on borrowed time. Maybe start with 750W and bump it up from there.
    The single speed chain is fussy about chainline. It's not designed for offset running. But not having to pass through a derailler they can get thick and strong.

Comment

16t is the smallest rear cog, and I think 24T is the largest. You can put in a few different ones as a custom casette entry and it will chart them all with the IGH hub.
      The IGH chainline is 47mm with the cog turned out. Measure the seat tube and divide in half, then add the distance to the chainring and try for 47mm.
      The 73mm BB width doesn't help but it can be dealt with.

Comment

If you could say what year and model and frame size your Navigator is I could be more specific. The "750W legal" is US legal and is one of the standard BBSHD tunes offered, But in Spain it might be questionable. But that would apply to any BBSHD build I guess. I wouldn't recommend the TSDZ2 for mountain use. It's not the industrial strength offering the BBSHD is.
        If you can't get the precise chainline with the BBSHD you could probably get narrow cogs and run a multispeed chain. Single speed, Sturmey Archer and other 3mm offset rear cogs fit. You will just have to accept higher chain maintenance and periodic replacement.

Comment

Working...
        X