Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trek Stache 7 29+ suitable for BBSHD kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek Stache 7 29+ suitable for BBSHD kit?

I have a 2017 Trek Stache 7 29+ (3" tires) that have a custom wheelset of White Bros. BOOST 36H hubs, Sapim spokes, and Easton rims. Also dual-piston Shimano XT brakes and other mods. It is 11 speed. I really like the upgrades I have done on this bike, but I am also smitten with eBike technology and capability, especially in my very hilly and mountainous Virginia location. So I have some questions I am hoping I could have answered or given advice on.

Looking at the specs and pic attached, is there anything you see that would make this bike NOT a good candidate for a Bafang BBSHD kit, like the kit Luna sells?

Specifically, is the 11-speed chain too weak and narrow to handle the BBSHD power? It seems the narrow 11/12 speed chains are often mentioned as not as strong as 10sp or 9sp chains.

Is the Trek unique raised chainstay an issue, or is it a benefit?

It has a 30T front chainring. What chainring size would be best for a BBSHD?

I am very good at bike mechanics and have plenty of tools and power equipment, so the technical side doesn't scare me. I just don't want to tear into my beautiful Stache 7 (The Green Goblin) only to find out the systems just don't work good together and have weaknesses that could leave me broken down in the woods.

Thanks in advance for any help you share!

Rmpl
    Find out how much a 2017 Trek Stache 7 bicycle is worth. Our Value Guide is constantly growing with pricing information and bicycle specs daily.
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM.

You need to investigate the chainline issue. Chainrings smaller than 42T need to go outside the motor and may not be able to use the lower cogs. A BBSHD can stress an 8 speed driveline. Quality parts and regular maintainence and repalcement will be required. Can a 42t ring clear the chainstay in all gears? I would try that first. Treks traditionally used a 73mm bottom bracket width. This is not helpful either. How wide is the rear hub on that? I've personally only built a couple of older 26" TrekGF 26" bikes so others may know more than I do. But it will probably be easier if you can run a 42t ring. The hard part for you may be getting it to go slow enough to ride in the woods. A 3 speed Sturmey Archer IGH will make it stronger and simplify chainline and chainring size selection..The raised chainstay does make a belt drive Alfine 8 speed IGH a possibilty.
    Here's a video of someone who did a BBSHD on a Dicks Sporting Goods Raised chainstay bike. Seems like a Trek Stache knockoff.
    https://youtu.be/lu8AFJiRdfc
    Here's a thread on that bike. A couple guys say they've done it on that one.
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...get-trail-bike
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-11-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I've been looking at the Trek 1120 for an ebike conversion, which is very similar to the Stache, and I've had the same concern with the raised chainstay and conflicting with a larger chainring. The bike in the video posted by Retrorockit appears to have a much higher chainstay than the Stache or the 1120. I think he brings up a valid concern with whether or not it would be able to take advantage of all of the gears on the rear wheel.

My other concern is how well the press fit adaptor rings work for the bottom bracket attachment. I've found a number of threads with people that have had the same idea to convert a Stache, but no follow-up on whether or not they actually completed it.

Comment

Working...
      X