Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light

Hey all.
    I was wondering if there are any good brake lights that you recommend. I would like it to be controlled by the motor cutoff brake handle...a short brake cable switch would work good...if there is such a beast. Bike only has a coaster brake and the brake handle is currently only there for emergency motor cutoff so a dedicated brake cable to a switch is possible.
    Bike also has a rack with an open screw hole on the back. I can mount a 12v regulator if its powered by the bike battery. I'm just going to use a tactical 18650 flashlight for the front and carry a spare battery.

Any light and switch recommendations?

Good question, subscribed....I know there are DIY circuits, but a ready made solution would be great.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
      Good question, subscribed....I know there are DIY circuits, but a ready made solution would be great.
      I'm good with a DIY solution, but cannot find a switch that works off of a cable for a bicycle for the life of me. There are pull switches that are spring loaded, but Im not sure about their tension.
      Also, a low current solution for the light would be preferred so it doesn't take much from the bike battery.

Mainly, I am just hoping someone else already did something similar and can recommend a switch and light. I dont mind doing a little building.

Comment

There's a thread around here somewhere that was all about this - when I get a moment I'll try searching

Either the same or another covered turn signals

Comment

• chips2041
          chips2041 commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be cool. I searched for brake light on the search option and only found a thread with a brake light that detects braking via sensor...doesn't work off of a switch. I also dont have the space under my seat. I have a rack with my battery on it and my seat sits pretty low.

For reference this is the bike and where i would like to attach the back light. I rigged up a thing to put on a battery powered light for now, but I would like to have a brake light instead. The brake handle currently has no cable so a pull switch would be preferred to control the switch for the brake light. Hope that helps give a little better idea. Thanks again!

Comment

That's likely the thread - have you considered using one of the magnetic brake sensors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hydrolic_ebrake_2__19805.1455004831.JPG
Views:	1101
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	90176

Comment

• chips2041
            chips2041 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yah, I looked at those. my brake handle doesn't have much surface area to attach all of that, but it doesnt currently have a brake cable hooked up. Its only being used for the motor cutoff switch built into it.

Consider tapping into the cutoff and drive something with a very light load with it? Sounds like you've got some electrical experience. Perhaps a SSR or a RYO MOSFET design...

Comment

• chips2041
            chips2041 commented
            Editing a comment
            I suppose i could just put a good spring where i want to end the cable and use a switch like the one you pictured. Just on the cable instead of the brake handle. hmm

• chips2041
            chips2041 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to order a hall sensor anyway...the PAS has been a little finicky and i'm sure its the sensor. This gives me a reason to just get them now. I can get a nice small magnet to attach to the cable from some fridge magnet and get the spring from a hardware store. That covers the switch. Thanks!

Hey there Chips. I had similar idea while doing my newest build. Best I came up with was using a bbshd gear shift sensor installed "inline" on the rear brake cable(non hydraulic) with a 12vd relay wired to it which actuates the rear brake light. I have multiple things that required 12vdc so my 2 battery packs(samsung 12.5ah 25r Luna packs) are wired in parallel, out of that it splits to the BBSHD and a 40-100vdc input to 12vdc output puck converter rated for 20 amps. The output of the Puck converter goes to a small fuse block for all my accessories like front/ rear lights, turn signals, amp/ speakers/ phone charger/ mount, cameras, etc. The fuse for the brake light is wired to the relay power, and the gear shift sensor is wired to the relay input. when the rear brake is engaged, it activates the brake portion of the dual filament rear light bulb(in other words the same bulb is "on" with the headlight, but gets "brighter" when braking due to the second filament igniting. I have a hand sketch of the wiring diagram somewhere. I can post it and some pics of the wiring if you like. I will be doing some work on my bike this weekend and can get some better pics of this part if needed.

Comment

heres the puck converter

Comment

Heya Defjr333. I decided to go with a snap switch and a spring. I'm going to use a bike cable with a spring at the end of it make it pull the snap switch when the brake is pulled and go back when i let it go. I got that figured out.
              I have a 10A buck converter for changing 18v-48v to 12v.

Any brake lights you would recommend?
              Last edited by chips2041; 07-24-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I have no speakers and am going to use my tactical 18650 flashlight for the front light. I can just carry a spare battery for that and can use it to see off of my bike. lol
                I would just like a brake light to be a little more visible at night from the back. I am also thinking about adding one LED strip under the top frame bar.
                My brake handle that is on there already has a switch on it that is for the motor cutoff...plugged into the controller.

Comment

I might just go with a couple LED strips on the back too since they do come with color options and i think the rack has a lip just big enough to stick the strips to. I think i got it all fingered out in my head. Will post it up once its all installed.

Comment

Originally posted by chips2041 View Post
                    I have no speakers and am going to use my tactical 18650 flashlight for the front light. I can just carry a spare battery for that and can use it to see off of my bike. lol
                    I would just like a brake light to be a little more visible at night from the back. I am also thinking about adding one LED strip under the top frame bar.
                    My brake handle that is on there already has a switch on it that is for the motor cutoff...plugged into the controller.
                    That's what I do... got a handlebar flashlight mount and use the same EDC 18350 (better for EDC) for the bars... like it a lot since I don't ride streets and it can go very dim if all I'm looking for is legal (AZ you don't need much) and it does fantastic when I need it... Out side of a overnight camp it will last a year or more on a charge...

I have little itty bitty wireless speaker.. ya know for some tunes or to play hardly davidson sounds at the street crossings Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.gif
Views:	1146
Size:	438 Bytes
ID:	90330

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-CTXHB3B-L.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	90329

Comment

• chips2041
                      chips2041 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha. I'll have to get me one...and...er...some extra lenses...
                      So far Ive just been taking it down this path that goes from near my house to downtown. Its about 20 miles round trip.

• Tommycat
                      Tommycat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like mine a lot. But still can't get the idea of a rear camera display out of my mind... ;-)

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...6000#post66000

• chips2041
                      chips2041 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tommycat - I will likely try a mirror that mounts on the handle bar since i have the space.

Your bike frame was one of the ones i considered for my build, but decided I wanted to go full 1 speed cruiser. Very cool you shared your build process.

As you can see my handlebars are nice and empty. I have a bag to put my cell phone and backup battery in and have a GPS program for my speed and distance. Got a Wasp 9905 camera mounted on my helmet that my phone can connect to via wifi. The throttle has a high, mid, low battery indicator on it and I am ok with that. Brake handle has no cable attached to it.
                    So i'm going to attach a cable to it and put a spring on the end of the cable with a cable stopper and compression spring on the bolt. Will likely just keep it up front.
                    Going to use a snap switch somewhere on the line of the cable then run the wires down the frame like I did the others. The frame doesnt really have any support for running cables. haha
                    I am going to use a small 12v pack of 18650 cells for the lights separate from the main battery since they already sell the holders for that premade and mount it under the back of the rack after I remove my current rigged up light.
                    Then I will just stick LED strips to the rack and under the top frame bar. Have the bar lights and one set of the lights on the rack turn on with the battery pack switch and the other on the rack turn on when the brake handle is pulled. I will draw it all up and share when its done. :)
                    Last edited by chips2041; 07-25-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X