A new Hub build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new Hub build

I am considering building a hub drive on my old Ellsworth Mtn bike. The bike is 20+ yrs old, very light, with caliper brakes. and 26" tires. It was top of the line in its day but that was then. Any suggestions on what kind of motor and size I should use. I have never done a hub drive but it looks pretty easy I have done several mid drives which I love. As I get older I realize I need a motor to keep up with the kids on the trails

Really depends on the use. If just a little power needed there are many 250-1000w hub drives, some dual geared to add some extra low end torque. Or on the higher end there are the qs205 and higher which handle up to 20k watt bursts. Give some info on how u plan on using it and I am sure u will get some more honed in suggestions. ie: commute to work, off road mtb, street speed machine, etc by trails is that "aggressive", or "own pace" etc.
    Last edited by Defjr333; 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I'll use it mostly for street riding but I will definitely go off road and some long rides to test the range 30-40mi I am not an aggressive off road rider. I am a firm believer in rubber side down either shoes or tires
      Last edited by fstued; 08-31-2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X