Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internally Geared Rear Hub instead of Cassette (w/ BBSHD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Alanbowers86 View Post
    Awesome. Thank you very much for all the information. Sounds like the 3-speed will be perfect for my purposes as my bike is just a commuter and runabout.

I liked the idea of having that 2nd speed on the SA being 1:1, but do you think that I should be worried at all for some hills if I need to start in 1st? I only have a standard BBSHD, and typically keep it civil with pedal assist for starts (maybe pulling 4-700 watts) or just being gentle. Some of the hills around me can be steep and require stopping for intersections and such. I just want to be able to be sure it could handle that without too much fuss. I think I've typically been using 4th gear on my current Shimano 8-speed, which I think translates very similarly to 2nd on the SA, but now and again I'd like to be able to use 1st.

Spinningmagnets wrote a nice article on IGH hubs and he mentions how to use them to your best advantage. https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/ Having said that I think from several thousand miles of experience you can start an in any speed you want and if you are not beating on it you will be fine. I usually use PAS levels of 3,4,or 5 with my mid drives. This gives me around 500 to 700 watts with the BBSHD and as long as you are not snapping the throttle open everything will be OK. My BBS02 has Luna's hotrod programing which gives you maximum wattage at the throttle regardless of your PAS setting. I could probably break something with that bike if I'm not careful.

Hey what I'm trying to say is if you treat your equipment bad you will break it. NEVER shift under a load.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
    I'm headed the DD route soon too. Not to hijack, but what dd hub u using there Calfee? I have been looking at QS motors a lot
    I am quite the Ebike nut. My kids just roll their eyes at my antics. I have a BBSHD, BBS02, 1500 Edge DD Hub. TDCM hub built around a 5spd S-A, Mxus Turbo 45mm DD hub, QS 50mm V3 DD hub, and a Bafang 310 geared hub for a stealth bike. I also bought 4 edge clones in two different windings just because...…..of the tariff and they were hard to get.

I hate to list all of this because it shows how bad I can get when I start to go down a new "hobby" road. We should start a new thread. I have tried a lot of different things so if you want to pick my brain that is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Alanbowers86
    replied
    Awesome. Thank you very much for all the information. Sounds like the 3-speed will be perfect for my purposes as my bike is just a commuter and runabout.

Originally posted by Defjr333 View Post
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-int...6-hub/?geoc=US
    That is what I use to start, ALWAYS. Too much power in any other gear can blow them out, if under load. IE: Full throttle from stop, or just starting on a hill. Gearing the chainring and rear cog to use that solid gear is what I found to be best for me. I only shift to the next gear once I am around 28-30, where it starts to top out in 2nd. That being said, I have yet to find a hill that it bogs down on in 2nd.So, I never use the "granny gear".
    I liked the idea of having that 2nd speed on the SA being 1:1, but do you think that I should be worried at all for some hills if I need to start in 1st? I only have a standard BBSHD, and typically keep it civil with pedal assist for starts (maybe pulling 4-700 watts) or just being gentle. Some of the hills around me can be steep and require stopping for intersections and such. I just want to be able to be sure it could handle that without too much fuss. I think I've typically been using 4th gear on my current Shimano 8-speed, which I think translates very similarly to 2nd on the SA, but now and again I'd like to be able to use 1st.

Leave a comment:

• Defjr333
    replied
    I'm headed the DD route soon too. Not to hijack, but what dd hub u using there Calfee? I have been looking at QS motors a lot

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Both of my IGHs are pretty much collecting dust because I have switched to DD hubs, 72 volts, and 18 fet 100amp controllers. I am totally and completely spoiled now and cannot go back. When I need to cross a busy intersection a simple partial twist to the throttle shoots me across. I have a 3 position power switch that I keep in low for a maximum of 3500 watts or so but a switch to high and up to 8000 watts is available. In high I have to be careful with the throttle or the front wheel will come up.

Leave a comment:

• Defjr333
    replied
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-int...6-hub/?geoc=US
    Shows in stock. It is a company in England, so expect to be hit with VAT and shipping, but I used them for my spokes, and front/ rear hubs(S/A XL-FD & XL-RD3). Love them except the chain mechanism at hub for gear selection. I see the one you cited has the newer "rotary mech instead. Nice. I do however wish I had gone with the X-RD8 instead. On the 3 speed models Gear 2 is the "straight through" one piece 100% gear. That is what I use to start, ALWAYS. Too much power in any other gear can blow them out, if under load. IE: Full throttle from stop, or just starting on a hill. Gearing the chainring and rear cog to use that solid gear is what I found to be best for me. I only shift to the next gear once I am around 28-30, where it starts to top out in 2nd. That being said, I have yet to find a hill that it bogs down on in 2nd.So, I never use the "granny gear". Ever. I rather have those additional gears to move to a higher top end. 3 spd models are 133%, The 8 speed STARTS gear 1 @100% and moves up to 325%. Just something to think about, I know nothing of your intended use, and mine is a Street Only bike.
    Edit: Felt I need to add I do use a Phaserunner controller @ 58.8V and 50A. So my torque/ climb rate is abnormal for a 48T/16C. But my ride is 89lbs, so. Hard to compare.
    Last edited by Defjr333; 09-15-2019, 07:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Alanbowers86 View Post
    Hey guys, just found this page by way of an article that showed some information on internally geared rear hubs. One of the ones caught my eye, the Sturmey Archer RS-RF3 however I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding if it's still available or for sale. I also recently saw that Shimano makes an e-bike specific IHG called the SG-C7000-5V.

I'm loving my BBSHD on my Giant just for commuting purposes. I've put around 6-700 miles on it so far, but now that the rain has come around I want to do a couple of upgrades to make it more robust. Not having a cassette to deal with would be great, so what are everyone's thoughts on a 3 or 5 speed IHG to simplify things? The Sturmey Archer unit peaked my interest as I fills the gearing needs I most use and would be perfect when combined with a 48-tooth Luna front ring.
    I have a S-A hybrid which is a 3spd plus a cassette. 95% of the time all you need is the 3spd but once in a while I use the derailleur also if I get into hills.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2016_08_08_10_44_07_ProShot.jpg Views:	2 Size:	378.4 KB ID:	13846

This is the build thread on that bike. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-cruiser/page4

I also have an Alfine 8 speed. That is just a joy. I don't think one would give you problems as long as you DON'T shift under power.

Leave a comment:

• Internally Geared Rear Hub instead of Cassette (w/ BBSHD)

Hey guys, just found this page by way of an article that showed some information on internally geared rear hubs. One of the ones caught my eye, the Sturmey Archer RS-RF3 however I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding if it's still available or for sale. I also recently saw that Shimano makes an e-bike specific IHG called the SG-C7000-5V.

I'm loving my BBSHD on my Giant just for commuting purposes. I've put around 6-700 miles on it so far, but now that the rain has come around I want to do a couple of upgrades to make it more robust. Not having a cassette to deal with would be great, so what are everyone's thoughts on a 3 or 5 speed IHG to simplify things? The Sturmey Archer unit peaked my interest as I fills the gearing needs I most use and would be perfect when combined with a 48-tooth Luna front ring.
Working...
X