Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for heavy hauling, uphill

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the forum and I am currently planning on my second E-Bike build. I am also not very familar with everything, although I have been doing a bit of research over the past 3 months.

Currently I have a 750w hub motor with a 48v 21Ah battery. The controller pushes between 1000w to 500w.
    This bike has gotten me most places I wasnt to go but with multiple hills that I have had to push my bike up the hills to get to my ultimate destination.

I want to start planning on a new build that will not have to be pushed up any hills but will have plenty of power to get me up the hills with no problem.

I use the bike for backpacking trips and will have an additional 30-70 lbs on top of my own 170lbs. The trails are somtimes steep (maybe 45 degrees max).

I have considered the BBSHD 1000w motor but I do not know if I should be considering the battery output volts or the tooth count or what would be the best combination.

I would absolutely love some suggestions and Ideas on a build.

Thank you,

Love, Peace, & Chicken Grease

Im in the same boat.. I have a 750w back hub. I need more power to carry me and my hunting gear up hills. I'm hopping some experts get back to your post.

Comment

A big 48v battery is great paired with bbshd for this purpose. 52v as well, I use a 52v 28ah on one of my bikes, it's perfect.

For your uses ideally you want the smallest chainring you can fit, and/or a cassette with a granny gear.

For small rings you gotta either make sure your chainline is not going to get messed up or work around it by reworking the cassette. This is all linked from here https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ter-repository

Comment

I will check all that info out on the link you attached.
        Quick question. What does 52v give you vs 48v?

Comment

Higher voltage means higher top speed, basically. For hauling stuff up a hillside this something of a moot point.

Comment

Hey guys. I swtich my rear hub motot out with a LUNA 1000w mid drive motor and the 32t mini. Best decision i ever made.. so far... I have taken it up stuff my 750 hub would never get me. However, I have not taken it up with a heavy pack yet (although I think it will do fine.

Comment

Sunrace makes a great 11-46T rear cassette I used for converting an 8-speed to 10-speed with a single 44T front chainring. In lowest gear, and cannot use full motor power with ramping. I have to be extremely careful with throttle or the front end wheelies. You want max torque? Then get a 46T large ring.

Comment

Another way to get a granny gear is the Sturmey Archer Dual drive 3 speed IGH+ casette rear hub. They're known to be strong. Low range will make 42T front ring act like a 28T.
                http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro.../cs-rk3-silver
                You would brobably never need the highest overdrive gears but a few of them would probably be useful.
                That hub is in the IGH section of the Sheldon Brown gear calculator.
                https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-30-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                  Sunrace makes a great 11-46T rear cassette I used for converting an 8-speed to 10-speed with a single 44T front chainring. In lowest gear, and cannot use full motor power with ramping. I have to be extremely careful with throttle or the front end wheelies. You want max torque? Then get a 46T large ring.
                  Just for the record, you will want a smaller ring up front to increase the torque/power at the rear wheel. Larger front rings decrease the torque but increase the speed for the same cadence. If it's hill climbing and heavy hauling that is needed a mid-drive system that uses the gearing of the bike is the way to go. A 30-tooth offered up front by Luna (BBHSD) coupled with the standard cassette or freewheel in the rear is stump pulling (spoke breaking?) torque in the lower gears.

Comment

My front ring is a 42, and that is ridiculous torque already with the 46T on the cluster. If I don't turn throttle and max power way down, the bike goes straight into a wheelie. More torque would be insane.

Jose
                    Last edited by DaHose; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Front saddlle bags down low would help haul stuff up hills without the wheelies.

Comment

I'm presently running a 42t ring with a 46t first gear and for really steep stuff where I have to go slow I'd want a smaller ring

50rpm pedal speed gets me ~4mph and 50rpm is a bit low for long high power operation and 4mph is a bit too fast for technical terrain

Here's a speed vs. cadence calculator (has both imperial and metric)

speedVScadence.xlsx

Comment

Wow, you really would like lower than the 42/46? That seems like it would be pretty high pedal speed for me. I see that Sunrace does make a 50T cluster, although it's for 11 speed hubs, so I can't use it with my build.

https://www.amazon.com/SunRace-CSMX8...151050&sr=8-48

I've never heard of this company, but KCNC makes an 11-52T cluster. Holy cow! With a 52 top gear, I'd probably be able to run a 46 up front.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084FBJY2Q...dDbGljaz10cnVl

There's even an off-brand that makes a 10-speed cluster with a 50T top.

https://www.amazon.com/GOEXM-Cassett...6X2SCH3VMKEA0V

Jose
                          Last edited by DaHose; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I saw the sunrace 11sp 11-50t when it came out and may try it - not sure if my derailleur will handle it though and won't be surprised if it doesn't... if my derailleur ever goes south I may get one that will handle that - I think it would be nice

It really comes down to how slow and steep you need to go... most of the steep stuff I do 4mph is slow enough but I've been on some where it isn't and I've got to get down around 2.5mph and then my cadence is only in the low 30's and that's too slow for prolonged running up something steep IMO... but fortunately the only times I've done that is short hauls that weren't that steep

Comment

I have an 11-50 on my Nireeka Homie. The rest of the groupo is XT. I found that the chain angle was too much for the 46? and 50 tooth cogs. I don't think I can adjust the BB to the left but might be able use a shorter one axle. BUT, if I install the torque sensor BB I have, it would be too long. At least the 44 tooth cog is usable.
                              BTW, I'm knew to this, how do I find a Post I made yesterday?

Comment

Working...
                            X