This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Fixes and wishlist and improvements

Post here your ideas on how to make our forum a better place to post in.

We are struggling with this latest version of Vbulletin (version 5) to make it what we want to do. We are limited by the software but we are doing our best to make it better.

We just made it automatic then when you post in a thread you are subscribed to it....this will make it much easier for users to find posts they are in by just going to my subscriptions.

I hate that you have to hit the A Icon to get the text toolbar to show up....i really want the text toolbar to open by default every-time someone is posting.

It should be easier to find the posts that you are involved in. Right now everyone has to figure out to go to their name on the upper right and use the drop down and click MY RECENT POSTS. Ideally my recent posts should be in the menu bar but its not been easy to add that feature.

Subscribe button should be placed in easy to find places at the beginning and the end of posts....

Comment

I have written a procedure on how to post up a photo in a thread for, Compatible bikes for the BBHSD. Maybe you have read it Eric. But this procedure would be hard to find unless you opened the thread. Having any topics that help with posting that are easy to find would be beneficial.
      Last edited by Rodney64; 06-03-2016, 01:19 AM.

Comment

This forum is perfect as it is, in my opinion.

Comment

• Eric Luna
          Eric Luna commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for that...really suprised to hear that :)

A bit of a manifesto but here it goes....

I think this forum is very useful and it is off to a good start.

One thing I think is very important is that the scope of this forum be limited to the products that Luna has sold or is currently selling. This is important because we don't want to be reinventing the wheel. For electric bicycle things outside of Luna's focus, there is Endless-Sphere.com, a much more mature forum with a very large user base. It is an awesome resource for all things EV, and there are some truly brilliant people posting there in just about every engineering discipline you can think of.

For the non-electric bicycle questions there is BikeForums.net, again a mature platform with a very large user base. As forums go I find it to be one of the better ones. It helps that it is owned by Internet Brands the company that makes vBulletin forum software. They have a lot of in house people to help tailor it to behave the way they want.

The point is that this forum should be for Luna customers using Luna products. By focusing on that, the quality of the information and the navigation of the site can be better managed.

That brings me to my second point the new Knowledge Base section. This might be a bit of a rant but humor me.

From what I have read here, and in taking into consideration, the traditional definition and implementation of a KB, I think that as it is it will fail. Here’s why.

The standard forum is where we come to sift through the categories to see if anyone else has a shared experience, either good or bad. It also has a social aspect to it. It’s where you get to know names and avatars, learn from others mistakes or even vent frustration sometimes, that all good. The forum should be the community room where folks that use the products that Luna sells come.

A KB is a different animal.

It should not be the community room , it should be the quiet library where you can get right to work. The information there has to be trusted unconditionally.

It can’t be a wiki where everyone can edit and change things at will (that’s something in between a forum and a KB). If I find the article that says the red wire on product X goes here, then 3 months down the road it should still be there and fundamentally identical to the one I read before.

To achieve this there has to be a gatekeeper so that only trusted editors can post or modify the content. That does not mean the editors have to write ALL of the info themselves but it does mean that if you submit an article for the KB that it WILL be reviewed by one of the trusted editors before it gets included.

As it is now, the KB is just another duplicate forum. There is a battery section in the forum and one in the KB etc... Anyone can post in the KB. There are already users asking questions there about things that Luna has nothing to do with, that is the complete anti-thesis of a KB. Opinions and questions are NOT included in a KB.

If folks can post at will, then in order to find the information you seek, you may have to sort through pages of comments to find that one piece of data you came for. Just like a forum. It’s not a matter of IF, but HOW FAST, this will degenerate into a parallel forum to the main section.

I care about this forum, I use this forum, I use Luna products. I’m not writing this to make myself feel better, I’m writing this because I’m afraid that something I really like is going to go to hell in a handbasket and I’ll be back to sorting through the Chinese eBay battery fire stories someplace else , when all I wanted was the BBSxx pinout chart.

If you read this whole thing, Thank You. Now make your thoughts on all this known too, after all we’re all in this together.
        Last edited by Bicycle365; 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

yes its true....the knowledge base is not meant to be openly posted...and soon we will be deleting all posts that were not made by the luna team....

We planned to make it a moderator only can post forum...but i decided to open it up so i can just get commentary as i am writing it.

Most of it so far is being written by me and a few key people.

Comment

we need to add city names under every use so we know where everyone is from...

Comment

When checking in during the day, usually during a slack time at work, I notice I can't enlarge the page like I can with every other site I visit using my smart phone. A lot of times this makes it a bit harder to read.

One of my favorite flying forums (www.supercub.org.) has a feature that takes you right to the last post of a thread, when you click on the arrow behind the thread title, rather then to the first and making you scroll down manually, as it were, to the latest post. If you click on the thread title itself, it takes you to the first post in the thread.

Comment

Hey guys...can you help me with testing of a forum feature we are trying to fix..... when you post on a thread now is the text editor automaticaly appearing in the reply box? Or do you still need to hit the "A" button to activate it?

also can you verify your text editor features actually work? Here is a screen cap of a text editor that i know is not working right...if your text editor looks like the one in the pic then your is probably not working riight...because for some reason some users are getting the wrong text editor box and we are trying to figure out why.

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

I have not seen the "A" for some time now. I just thought my browser was remembering what I wanted. It was a revelation when I first clicked the "A".

I just tried 4 browsers Edge, Explorer, Firefox, and Vivaldi. No "A" in any of them........I refuse to use chrome.
                  Last edited by calfee20; 08-30-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The text editor appears for me and works well for what I have tried of it.
                    H2O in A2 is superscript and yeah that works...
                    The Little Brown Fox Jumps Through Giant Hoops for Fruit Loops
                    Every Good Boy Deserves Favor F.A.C.E.
                    Bad Boys Ravage Our Young Girls Behind Victory Garden Walls

The text editor appears for me and works well for what I have tried of it.
                    Code:
                        #region Form Events

private void buttonClose_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
                        {
                          this.Close();
                        }

private void SplashScreen_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
                        {
                             this.labelHistory.Caption = "\r\n\r\n                 SatAmp Revision History\r\n" +
                              "              -----------------------------------------           \r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.52 – Fixed Bug In Sat+HD Mode That Excepted When Sat List Button\r\n" +
                                        "   Was Clicked With No Data Was Present While Only HD Radio Powered.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.51 – Fixed DropDownMenu GenreLockOut To Allow Multiple Choices.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.50 – Added Station/Frequency Text Entry To SatAmp Mini Display.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.40 – Reset Tab Controls To Coincide With Previous Code Changes.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.36 – Fixed Close Buttons on Fav Artist and Notify PopUp Windows.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.35 – Seperated HD Radio Logging From Satellite. Updated LiveLog.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.30 – Tweaked HD Radio Logging and Mini Window Display Images.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.22 – Added HD Radio Logging. Tweaked Skins and ListView GUI.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.10 – Added HD Radio ListView For SubChannels In Sat+HD Mode.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.01 – Fixed RDS Data and Seek Mode Labels. Tweaked User Settings.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.3.00 – Added Back UAS Audio Switch and Updated Web Control.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.2.25 – Added Back Sirius and HdRadio. Expanded Presets to 30.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.60 – Fixed Favorite Artists Notify Added FatMarty Dark Theme.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.59 – Added Visual Cues And Extended ListView To Web Control.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.57 – Fixed CustomColor Save. Added Alt/User ListView Background.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.56 – Updated Artwork, Tweaked LiveLog, Fixed broken links.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.55 – Updated Web Control And Added Music/NonMusic Logging.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.50 – Tweaked Web Control And SatAmpLiveLog Viewer.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.46 – Tweaked Current Channel Log To Update On Channel Change.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.44 – Added Channel Logging Function with Custom Viewer.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 5.1.00 – Rebuilt SatAmp After It Broke 5 Years Later.\r\n" +
                                        "   Stripped Out HDRadio, Sirius Radio, Posterous, And Twitter.\r\n" +
                                        "   Stripped Out MJSUAS.dll, Audio Switch Functions And Amazon.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 4.0.01 – Updated Channel Images. Tweaked new GUI look and added \r\n" +
                              "   new Amazon MP3 Search Engine. Made extensive improvements to streaming \r\n" +
                              "   and settings retention including the Presets. Basically I went over the \r\n" +
                              "   code and found and fixed many bugs, and annoyances. New XM dll as well.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 3.0.0.0 - Added HD Radio support and a new GUI look.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 2.x.x.x - Added Sirius Radio Support.\r\n" +
                              "* Version 1.x.x.x - Was XM Radio only.\r\n" +
                              "               -----------------------------------------------\r\n" +
                              "        SatAmp is written by Mitch J.S. and FatMarty.\r\n" +
                              "      We claim ownership and the copyright on the term SatAmp.\r\n" +
                              "      The term MJS Gadgets is a copyright of Mitch J.S.\r\n" +
                              "      The term Backpocket is a copyright of Alex J.\r\n" +
                              "      The term XM Radio is a copyright of SiriusXm.\r\n" +
                              "      The term Sirius is a copyright of Sirius.\r\n" +
                              "      The term SiriusXM is a copyright of SiriusXM.\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n";
                        }

#endregion
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	splash.png
Views:	1
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	16003

Yep - It's working in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 man.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
                      Hey guys...can you help me with testing of a forum feature we are trying to fix..... when you post on a thread now is the text editor automaticaly appearing in the reply box? Or do you still need to hit the "A" button to activate it?

also can you verify your text editor features actually work? Here is a screen cap of a text editor that i know is not working right...if your text editor looks like the one in the pic then your is probably not working riight...because for some reason some users are getting the wrong text editor box and we are trying to figure out why.

Thanks
                      For me, the text editor pops up automatically and the whole process is 100% flawless with Windows 7 Ultimate and a Chrome browser.

Comment

Site not working as it should no edit or post pictures hard to log in

Comment

test
                          test test test
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram-of-washers.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	28628

Comment

Is there a way to sort/filter/search to see my own or another individual's posts?

I am a noob trying to figure out a new build so have been looking/asking questions in multiple places/threads on the forum. Now I am having a challenge finding the threads I posted to for replies. This is a pretty interesting site with a lot of places to look, but due to the volume and many threads, it can be hard to backtrack, especially after a few days have passed.

It is most likely a PBKAC (Problem Between Keyboard And Chair) issue but it would be nice to have a button to just click on or a filter to see my own posts or another contributors to follow someone or their build.

Comment

Working...
                            X