Need some feedback and advice on ebike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some feedback and advice on ebike

I'm looking into buying an ebike with Bafang Ultra motor. I found a Chinese company on Alibaba and they sent me a spec. As I'm new to ebikes and bikes in general, I'm not sure whether the bike is using good components and such. Can someone look at the specs and share their thoughts on the quality and what they think the fair price for the bike is?

ELECTRIC SYSTEM MAIN COMPONENT PERFORMANCE
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	645
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	101223

Motor Mid drive 48V1000W 8fun (Bafang) MM.G510
    Frame 6061 # Alu alloy
    Speed 25-45Km/h
    Range 40-60kms Per Charge
    Lithium Battery 48V14.5AH Samsung cell
    Wheel Rim Black, Alloy, Double wall
    Tires Maxxis tire 27.5*2.8
    Max Load 125kgs
    Spokes 13G
    Weight N.W. 24 kg
    Pas Torque sensor
    Front Fork SUNTOUR XCM, hydraulic suspension
    Gear sensor When change shift speed, it would cut off power, protect chain
    Rear shock absorber KS, A5-RR1, air alloy shock
    Capacity 95pcs/20ft, 205pcs/40HQ
    Charger AC 100V-240V UL
    Front brake/Rear brake/Brake lever Tektro hydraulic disc brake with brake sensor
    Charge time 4-6 hours
    Throttle Thumb Throttle
    Display 8fun (Bafang) C18 color LCD display
    Speed Gears SHIMANO Altus 9 speed
    Head Light Rechargeable, removable
    Handle Bar Promax, Aluminum alloy
    Rear Light Spanninga
    Stem Promax, Aluminum alloy
    Chain KMC Rust resistant chain
    Chain wheel Alloy 44T*170 mm
    Pedal Wellgo, Alu Alloy with reflector
    Saddle Velo, Soft comfortable
    Front hub Quick release
    Rear hub Quick release
    Grip Velo, black
    Seat post Promax, black
    Last edited by byunbee; 02-06-2020, 07:18 PM.

The components look normal for a budget priced bike. Nothing glaringly wrong. Many people would advise not getting an inexpensive full suspension bike and instead get a hard tail with a higher grade of fork, and add a suspension seat post. The theory is that if where you ride needs a full suspension, you don't want a cheap fork on the bike. The fork is a safety and control item in extreme situations.
    For street and mild offroad the fork is OK. But those applications don't need the complexity of a rear suspension. The rear shock is a cheapy also. Not sure how that will play out.
    https://www.singletracks.com/bike-re...ntour-XCM_7111

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, this is correct. I'd also stick with a BBSHD built bike like one from LunaCycle instead of the Ultra built bike. The community for the BBSHD is so much larger than the Ultra's. There are way more resources, troubleshooting guides and feedback from it's owners that you won't be stuck with a giant paperweight if something goes wrong.

How is Frey AM1000 compared to this bike? Is Frey AM1000 a good bike?

Comment

Tell us how you intend to use the bike. Then you can get answers form the right people. But Rockshox is a step up to mid range components in the important places. Looks like a better choice to me . But I'm a street rat so others may have better suggestions. If it costs a bit more you will get that back when you don't need to replace the fork and shock with something better. That's most of the cost of a bike like that.

Comment

I will likely ride 90% street and 10% trail, mostly for commute to work on paved bike path with occasional weekend excursions. My top interests right now are:
        • Luna BABE $2963 (tax w/ local pickup)
        • Luna Enduro X1 Standard Version ~$3987 (tax included w/ local pickup)
        • Frey AM1000 Base Spec ~$2990 includes shipping
          • Bafang Ultra 48V 1000W mid drive system with throttle;
          • 48V 17.4AH Samsung 29E cells powered big capacity battery ;
          • ROCKSHOX RECON 150mm air suspension fork;
          • ROCKSHOX MONARCH rear suspension;
          • TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
          • SHIMANO ACERA 8 speed group set;
          • CST 27.5*3.0" mountain tire;
        • Frey AM1000 High-End Spec ~ $3700
          • 48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
          • ROCKSHOX YARI 160mm air suspension fork;
          • ROCKSHOX DELUXE RL rear suspension;
          • MAGURA MT5e 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
          • SHIMANO XT M8000 11 speed group set;
          • MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
        • Frey HT1000 ~$2690 includes shipping (hard tail with front suspension - basically an AM1000 without rear suspension)
          • 48V 21AH Samsung 35E cells powered big capacity battery;
          • GTMRK 120MM air suspension
          • TEKTRO HD E725 4-piston hydraulic brake with power cut function for ebike use;
          • SHIMANO Deore M6000 10 speed group set;
          • MAXXIS 27.5*2.8" mountain tire.
        Price is a factor, so Enduro X1 and Frey AM1000 High-End Spec are big stretch budget wise. But since this will be a one time purchase that I plan on using for years, I don't want to rule it out. I need something that will be reliable in the long-term,

I'm also wondering if Luna BABE can be configured with a fat road tire as well or that a bad idea?
        Last edited by byunbee; 02-08-2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I like the 8 speed Frey base spec. The 10/11 speed does nothing for an Ebike, the chains are thinner. and the suspension componenets are a known quantity. Deep sand or snow will make the Luna Babe the best choice but no advantage 90% of the time.. The HT 1000 doesn't save enough money to make up for an off brand fork, much less a missing rear suspension.
          I looked at Schwalbe and didn't see any fatbike road tires. I personally wouldn't go the fatbike route unless it's necessary. The fat low pressure tires act like suspension but with no shock. Even with a suspension fork the big tire is still an undamped spring. OK for low speed sand running but not for fast road work.
          Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-08-2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

First of all, thank you so much for your multiple feedback. So, you don't think the Luna Enduro X1 or the AM1000 High End Spec is not worth the $8-900 price difference?

Comment

• Retrorockit
              Retrorockit commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the driveline is better on the base model. In an e bike for road work periodic replacement of casette and chain is expected and 8 speed is cheaper and stronger. For occasional off road use you don't need to be paying for premium parts. $8-900 is a lot of money. If you were going to be constantly pounding the bike offroad then it would make sense to get the high end equipment.It would also make sense to have a different bike for road work.The $800 you save can easily buy a 2nd wheelset/tire/casette/rotor combo for road work.There are casette and brake rotor shims you can use so they align perfectly.Some Schwalbe tires with reflective sidewalls and reinforced tread will eliminate any compromise between offroad and street riding.Just be careful not to pump the hydraulic brakes when swapping wheels.Maybe swap wheels one ta a time.( I'm not a fan of them, but bikes come with them now. So what are you going to do?)
              https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...s/super-moto-x
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-09-2020, 05:38 AM.

What you say makes sense. I'm leaning towards the AM1000 base now. I need to do more research. There are so many bikes and options out there and it is a big purchase. I will update this post, when I decide to pulll the trigger. Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

I just ordered the AM1000 basic spec, with glossy black paint with with gold powder, Schwalbe Moro X road tires, gear sensor, extra charger, extra derailleur hanger, special USB cable for the Bafang controller software shipped via sea. It should arrive late April early May.
              Last edited by byunbee; 02-09-2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by byunbee View Post
                I just ordered the AM1000 basic spec, with glossy black paint with with gold powder, Schwalbe Moro X road tires, gear sensor, extra charger, extra derailleur hanger, special USB cable for the Bafang controller software shipped via sea. It should arrive late April early May.
                Get your AM1000 yet? My high spec version should be here on August 10th.

Comment

A normal bike section is similar to a price tag. There is nothing wrong with that. There are many warnings not to buy a suspension wheel at a reasonable price, get a hard tail with a high brake, and attach the seat cushion. That means you do not want to be frustrated if you cannot get the right pitch so invest in a good capo. Safety is a part of security and control in the most extreme cases.

Comment

Some people buy E bikes that are sold with legal limits of Europe in mind and are dissapointed in the performance. Others like the TSDZ2 have nice features but the rliability is crap. BBSHD has neither issue. Even though I have good mechanical abilities I found it worthwhile to pay someone to build my first one out of a bike I already owned, and had set up to suit me.. Their volume discount made the cost difference negligible, and I spent my time making it run the way I want it to for how I ride. Which most bike shops wouldn't know where to start. It just takes too many hours in the saddle to figure some things out. Sometimes it just takes too many saddles!

Comment

What you've been putting forward the frey's look nice... but I would go no less than the ten-speed - avoid the 8-speed... it's short sighted IMO

Thinner chains are stronger! More gear range better! More granularity in the gears isn't a bad thing...

I've got >6000mi on an M8000 and it's the cat's meow... never thought I'd be so impressed with a derailleur system... I've got a buddy with the M6000 and it is just as impressive with one less gear but you can get as much range so plenty good enough...

Comment

AZguy and I have differnet ideas on derailer dirvetrains. I like old Rapid Rise stuff that came and went with 8/9 speed. With a gripshift I can dump 5-6 gears sitting still and the shift will happen when the bike moves forward. Never get caught out taking off in a high gear. But we ride in very different situations. But I ride flat and fast so my 8 speed may not be best for you guys.

Comment

I agree we all need to define our "mission" in order to figure out the proper equipment requirements

OTOH I wouldn't dismiss the higher order gearsets for most all uses - I don't think there is a single reason the good ones aren't superior to the lower gear count units except possibly cost although they aren't all that much more

I have the M8000 shifter and I can shift lower up to four gears in one press and go up two in one press so I think the concern about dumping gears is a red herring... I don't remember whether the M6000 dumps them like that but I don't think so... I'll check next time I connect up with my buddy that has one... Frankly I was skeptical about 11+sp setups when I got this but have been hugely impressed and any concerns are well in the rearview mirror

I ride all kinds of terrain... behind my shop is an urban multi-use path system with hundreds of miles that cover PHX metro area... they are flat and with the exception of some crossings are pretty much road free... some of the nicer stretches have tunnels so you don't even need to cross streets... they are all relatively level (there's a gentle slope since most follow canals) and about 70% hard surface the rest being hard packed dirt of varying roughness... riding on this we tend to push range and ride at moderate speeds (10-15mph) for 20-50mi, sometimes kicking it up to closer to 20mph on shorter rides

I take it to the desert frequently when it's not summer and occasionally to the mountains for heat relief and fantastic riding... this can range from easy fire roads (some are very steep however) to single track, etc...

On a side note... it's been a bit hot lately (>45C/113F) but at least the monsoon hasn't really hit this year... not riding as much... August burnout...
                          Last edited by AZguy; 08-06-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X