Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing problem

Hi all.
    I need some advice on a rather delicate issue.
    I'm 57 and have just bought my bike.
    Yesterday I did my first long ride of 17 miles and now have a worrying problem.
    To put it bluntly, I have completely numb gentleman parts.
    Can't feel a thing and I'm worried.
    I was hoping that by today it might be better but it's the same.
    I did some research and have found this is a relatively common issue which can take several days to rectify itself, so having just got started with this, it's come to a grinding halt.
    Just wondering if anyone else has experience of dealing with this problem and how they've overcome it.

No reason to be embarrassed. It is 100% normal on a longer ride. Are you wearing either cycling shorts or the padded regular shorts designed for biking? Also, you can check with your local bike shop, they will have some cream you can apply before you start your ride. I talked to my wife this morning about getting some Monkey Butt cream because I hurt also on this morning's ride (don't ask me how it got that name). Of course, your saddle could have something to do with it too.

Bob

Comment

From all the cycling blogs I've read, that sounds like a saddle issue. Go to your local bike shop and they can recommend a seat that won't ruin you.

Comment

Definitely a saddle problem, although sometimes it's just position. If it's too flat, your weight is all on the nose part, which is what causes the numbness. You can bring the nose down to relieve pressure., or try a saddle with a more open center. If you are all street riding, there are some really nice, and wide ones you can get with memory foam or gel, and air suspension mounts.

I concur with the Doctor's prescription. :-) Hit your LBS, and ask to try out some options.

Jose

Comment

A Cloud 9 saddle and a Thudbuster suspension seat post works for me. It's a fat ebike in my case, so screw the extra weight!

Comment

Proper saddle and saddle position is different for different butts , different riding position (e.g. handlebar position, seat to crank distance, etc.) and different types of riding... one thing I've seen is that folks suffering similar issues tend to lower the front of the saddle to address which [maybe somewhat counter-intuitively] often makes things worse - the front should [most] often be higher than the rear for best comfort... If you aren't experienced with different saddles and adjusting them for optimal comfort a trip to the LBS might be a good idea

One thing nice is that saddles for bicycles are generally relatively inexpensive

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice.
              Went to the bike shop yesterday and got a new saddle.
              I bought a Respiro which was quite expensive but has a high tech gel material inside and is cut away through the middle which should in theory take some of the pressure off.
              Photo below.
              My next stop may be a suspension seat post although the problem there is I only have about three inches to play with.

Comment

A slightly different approach but, for my benefit does anyone make extra padding to slip in your shorts? Along those lines had anyone tries wearing two pairs of shorts?

Comment

ISM makes a series of sadlles with an open nose for this problem. The Sport provides almost no side to side support and I would avoid it (seems to be NLA). the Metro is working OK for me with a suspension seat post and they have some softer wider versions I haven't tried.
                  https://shop-us.ismseat.com/

Comment

i try to be aware of impending blood flow constrictions while riding. becoming familiar with the attack position (standing on your pedals while they are aligned horizontally) for up to a minute at a time during your ride, or pedaling while standing, goes a long way in normalizing circulation. this maneuver isn't as difficult to execute as it is to remember to do it before you notice numbness.
                    learn how to adjust your seat angle and experiment. make small adjustments - lower / raise in 1/4" or less increments.
                    excellent range of responses to your genital numbness.

Comment

+1

Seat angle is super important, it takes minor changes to make big difference and most folks tend to put the nose too low thinking it will help which I've found somewhat counter-intuitively often aggravates things

Having said that we're all built differently, our bikes have widely varying ergonomics and we have our own riding styles so there are no hard and fast rules IMO

Width is another thing I've found makes a big difference and wider isn't always better... for me a wider saddle works better when I'm in a very upright position riding (not my favorite, makes my back sore) at lower cadences where a narrower one works better when more forward , with some weight on the wrists (too much or bad handlebar ergonomics make the wrists tingle) and I'm riding hard with higher pedal cadences

I can't ride with as much weight on my legs since I'm missing one so that changes the dynamics for me too

YMMV

Comment

I've found the same thing with width and forward vs. upright riding. But riding urban, upright is the way to go for me, and the BBSHD overcomes any aero penalty easily.

Comment

Working...
                        X