Assist Stopped Working While Going Over A Bridge on 4 Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assist Stopped Working While Going Over A Bridge on 4 Bikes

Four of us were riding eBikes over a bridge in Pasco, WA and the assist stopped working on all of them in about the same spot. We had to turn the control off and on to get the assist to work again after crossing the bridge. Any idea what would have caused that?

Electrical interference. Maybe a high voltage line runs under the bridge. I sometimes get a lot of radio noise on AM band when crossing some bridges.

Comment

Thanks. I did notice some high voltage lines running next to the bridge.

Comment

This is partially why I am doing a full rebuild. Replacing all wires with shielded, with shields all bonded to frame. I have had EMF issues near a power station.

Comment

Interesting. I guess if you rode through a strong 60Hz magnetic field, it might trigger a speed sensor to think the bike was going very fast...about 300mph on a 29" tire - if my early morning math holds. Possibly the software shuts assist down as a safety precaution on the 'out of range' error?

Would also be interested to know if the wire rebuild helps. If a strong magnetic field is really the issue, it might be the sensor itself as opposed to the wire runs. You could shield the sensor, but then no speed pickup!

Comment

I should have the rebuild done by next week. Will know then. I wanted to replace the wires with better quality(stranded 20awg...new vs solid 24awg...old) while doing my Ludicrous controller upgrade anyway. Figured Shielded was not much more $.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman2 View Post
              Four of us were riding eBikes over a bridge in Pasco, WA and the assist stopped working on all of them in about the same spot. We had to turn the control off and on to get the assist to work again after crossing the bridge. Any idea what would have caused that ?Clicker test
              A strong 60Hz magnetic field, it might trigger a speed sensor to think the bike was going very fast...about 300mph on a 29" tire - if my early morning math holds. Possibly the software shuts assist down as a safety precaution on the 'out of range' error?
              Last edited by dorcasbar2000; 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• K442
                K442 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by dorcasbar2000 View Post

A strong 60Hz magnetic field, it might trigger a speed sensor to think the bike was going very fast...about 300mph on a 29" tire - if my early morning math holds. Possibly the software shuts assist down as a safety precaution on the 'out of range' error?
                Damn, I've noticed people on this forum tend to repeat what i say, but this is literally a copy/paste of my exact f-ing sentence!

alien surveillance.

Comment

Working...
              X