Very near collision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very near collision

I had just flown out of the mountains just west of Dell Montana, the other day, (in my homebuilt Rans S-7s kitplane) and after landing I got the E Montague out for the 1 mile ride to the gas station for some coffee. About halfway there, on a gravel road with no chance of other traffic, I was pedaling along, (16-18 mph) head down, and all of a sudden, I was surrounded by pronghorn antelope, in front of me, behind me, and all going at a high rate of speed. They are common as dirt in the places I fly, so I didn't think much of seeing a couple bunches of them on short final. They are normally extremely skittish, and why one batch of them chose the moment I was passing by to exit one field, and cross the road to the other field where the other batch was, JUST when I was passing by, is a mystery. One fell, several stumbled, it was real chaotic for a second or two, but no one got hurt! I never did make direct contact with any, but did come within a few inches, and they were really moving! https://www.google.com/search?q=pron...hrome&ie=UTF-8 Be careful out there, these e bikes can be dangerous. WHICH reminds me.....I was, as stated, going a normal bike speed, if they would have ran my ass over, my passing would have had nothing at all to do with the fact that I was riding an ebike, just saying. BUT, I could see the news flash "MAN KILLED RIDING E BIKE INTO HEROD OF ANTELOPE."

I’ve had similar close encounters riding through a mob of startled kangaroos. Did actually get taken out by an emu on my dirt bike too. It certainly gets the blood pumping.

Comment

E bikes are very quiet. If the leader of the herd didn't notice you then the rest will just follow. On E bikes I prefer to give up the aero head down riding position for a heads up riding style.
      In central/north Florida the herd animals are wild pigs (fortunately they tend to be nocturnal). I suppose it could have been bison in Montana.
      I've noticed with many animals one who can make it safely will cross, and then the others will just go in a me too reaction.
      Iguanas are bad about this. On canal paths they will hide in the grass using their camoflage and wait until you're right upon them. Then one of them will run for the safety of the canal, and you'll have a dozen others at the last second running also. I haven't had one dive through the spokes yet. But I'm sure they don't know better. More comical than threatening. I got caught in a rainstorm at night and had a midair collision with a duck. The 1st duck made it across safely. I've had cats, ducks and iguanas all hide until I get close and the panick and run across in front of me. In some places I just expect this.

Comment

The vulture jumped up from roadside
        6 foot wingspan flew along side me before soaring into field. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_200415.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	107033

Comment

Good thing you didn't scare the shit out of him.

Comment

• Gr8fun
            Gr8fun commented
            Editing a comment
            I am not sure, but they may only vomit. No shit.

That would be owls. Vultures definitely shit. So acidic it is a disinfectant.

Just something else to be cautious of when riding.
            Last edited by Gr8fun; 05-31-2020, 09:53 AM.

The White Cranes around here have a little trick. I've seen them chasing each other (flying) and one will swoop across in front of a car, and the 2nd one gets taken out. Haven't seen it on a bike yet.

Comment

Working...
          X