Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gr8fun
    replied
    I liked the vitagent. But i lost it. Not secured well. Other lights i used as flashlights, and they disappeared. Totally no on battery operated
    . Batteries a constant dead issue.
    So now i have ripped out the battery cases for several headlamps. And wired in a solar panel battery bank for their power. (Discontinued home security light $15 at home depot) So far i have five headlamps and other misc. Lo voltage iights. Mounted with old inner tube strips, gorilla 2 sided sticky tape, rivets, whatever.
    i have .more led lights i will hook into my rechargeable battery banki use for phone and go pro camera.
    Side marker signal and just glamor.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by DaHose View Post
    All I know is that with the crackpots on the roads at all times, I want to be as inconspicuous as I can..!
    fixed.......

Different strokes
    Last edited by AZguy; 08-06-2020, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DaHose
    replied
    All I know is that with the crackpots on the roads at all times, I want to be as conspicuous as I can. DRL for the WIN!

Jose

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    I don't have that problem. I think I'm the only one in South Florida who actually has a headlight on their bike.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    I'm well covered with my setup - my low is likely a lot lower at 1 lumen... my bright is around 1000 lumens (&9000cd) so well covered there too plus I've got three in-between levels (even has red for true night vision preservation)... for most off-road I run 1 or sometimes ~50-70 when I need more penetration... it's very seldom I run more than that since I'm usually looking to preserve dark adaptation

Plus it only cost me the mount - I already have a handful of the lights

For me the *only* use for blinky-blink would be to shine in the eyes of an annoying blinky-blink rider approaching me and that's when I want it really bright and easily aim-able so I can point it at their face... mine is very easy to point and has a very high-intensity strobe... just perfect! Click image for larger version

Name:	evil.gif
Views:	211
Size:	343 Bytes
ID:	111297

Leave a comment:

• DaHose
    replied
    This Victagen I got can do everything you describe AZguy. It has a low, mid and high power setting, and you can have it strobe for use as a DRL. The flashing was important for sure. I've noticed that a lot of the people who post night ride videos supplement the handlebar light, with a helmet mounted light to handle flood duty.

Jose

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    It makes a ton of sense to me to have two lights if you are going to ride both streets and places without cars... I take a different tack around my occasional encounter with motor vehicles at night but I suppose if you want to be seen the blinky-blink lights are going to get that done... I just don't want it to be a beacon for the inebriated or rage-in-a-cage (or the mothership? =] )... For off-road nighttime you need a wider not so focused*steady* light that can be turned up for long distance penetration and turned way down to preserve night vision - pretty much a totally different light

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    Originally posted by AZguy View Post
    Finding something not made in china is a difficult and most likely very expensive paradigm... there is plenty of good product coming out of china but admittedly there's likely a lot more crap

I don't ride in the street so I just went with a fenix handlebar mount that accepts a pocket flashlight and snaps on and off quickly and easily - I have very nice and small ones that include super low power and silly high and a few notches in between...

I only use the really bright setting when on the mulit-use paths and an idiot comes along with their annoying bright blinky-blink light that is poorly aimed and entirely pointless on a well-lit path with only bikes and pedestrians --- HELLO! we can see you a mile away even without your light! there are no cars to get all blinky-blink with! SEE MY LIGHT! hahaha =]
    I agree about the annoying bright blinky lights for trail use. The older Niterider is eaxctly that light. I seek them out for daytime use in urban traffic for exactly the reasons you list, long range and hard to ignore. At stop lights I turn the handlebars to the side so I don't aggravate drivers ahead of me by strobing their mirrors. But they annoy hell out of everyone at night. That's why I have 2 different lights.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 08-04-2020, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Finding something not made in china is a difficult and most likely very expensive paradigm... there is plenty of good product coming out of china but admittedly there's likely a lot more crap

I don't ride in the street so I just went with a fenix handlebar mount that accepts a pocket flashlight and snaps on and off quickly and easily - I have very nice and small ones that include super low power and silly high and a few notches in between...

I only use the really bright setting when on the mulit-use paths and an idiot comes along with their annoying bright blinky-blink light that is poorly aimed and entirely pointless on a well-lit path with only bikes and pedestrians --- HELLO! we can see you a mile away even without your light! there are no cars to get all blinky-blink with! SEE MY LIGHT! hahaha =]

Leave a comment:

• DaHose
    replied
    Good point retrorockit. I just assumed the need included street use.

Jose

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    The OP didn't say if he was looking for street or offroad. The bright offroad lights will just annoy and blind oncoming drivers. Either way you stand to be the loser on the street.

Leave a comment:

• DaHose
    replied
    Niterider makes some impressive lights, but you have to buy into the $200+ range to really see a difference in performance. I did not want a separate battery. I much prefer a self-contained unit that quickly comes off when you lock the bike down, so I bought a Victagen that is supposed to be 2400 lumens. I guarantee it is not truly 2400 lumens, but for $30 yoU can't beat the value. Compared to the Niterider Lumina 1000, I think the Victagent is just as bright, with what looks like as wide or wider a pattern, but the Lumina 1000 costs $100. My Victagen even came with an aluminum tail light, and both lights are water resistant. Unfortunately it is not available right now, but here is a link to see which light I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My light can be found under other name brands, so I recommend poking around and seeing if you can find one. I don't think you can beat it for the price. This looks identical.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    Niterider has several. Their offroad lights are metal construction, and the plain glass lens lets the LED shine directly into oncoming traffic. I do use one for daytime strobe use, and a high beam on one way trails. Their street versions have a sidelight function, are smaller and lighter and can be put in your pocket. The lens is textured so the light is softer and better for street riding.
    They also make a Cherry Bomb tail light which is well regarded. Lumina are the offroad series, and Swift are the street versions. My favorite daytime light is an older Lumina 650 that has a very aggressive strobe that the newer ones don't have. Perfect for sunny South Florida urban riding. The Swift 500 on the middle setting works for me at night on the street and has one higher setting if I need it. But with the Lumina there I never use it. Whether day or night this gives me a backup light.
    Some of my Luminas are over 10 years old, and one got left under the hood of car sitting on an exhaust heat shield for several months and still works. The silicone button is discolored. I have 3 Luminas and they all still work ( I own 3 bikes). Just one Swift 500 and no issues there either.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-31-2020, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• D.808
    started a topic Bike light up to under $100

Bike light up to under $100

Looking to buy a new light, handle bar mount. The one I had was a made in china and just stop working, lasted about a year tops. Probably closer to 10 months. Looking to buy something made anywhere but china. Suggestions? What something that will last. Thxs
    Last edited by D.808; 08-01-2020, 10:14 PM.
Working...
X