Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Hall sensor anomaly (error 08)

Hi ya'll.

Longtime lurker and ebike fanatic from Helsinki, Finland here. I've built this totally bad*ss maaf full suspension fatbike with a BBSHD and 52v. I love it to so much and these forums have been very helpful in learning about the system.

Anyhoos... zö pröblem: The BBSHD has about 500km (~300-ish miles) on it now. It's been working like a prince thus far. But A while ago - the motor starts cutting about in about 5-10km, displaying "08 h" on the display. This is a "hall sensor abnormality" (source: https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/1...ur-bbs02-unit/). The problem seems to go away by itself after a while. It also seems to creep up sooner if I press the motor more. So I'm thinking it could possibly be a heat-related issue. Yesterday when it cut out, the temperature gauge on the display read 27 degrees C (~80 degrees F). Seems far to low to cause overheating - but perhaps the hall sensor is much much hotter than this, causing the signal to degrade, causing the controller to flip out?

I've had her opened up, everything looks fine, except for maaaaybe the connectors that seem a little skittish for this kind of setup. They haven't melted or anything like that - but still, those phase wires should have much better connectors imho.

So yeah - i'm running this supposed 48v system on a 52v battery. So I wouldn't be surprised if i had already destroyed something. But I haven't overstressed the motor much, tbh. My daily commute of 15 - 30 km is usually quite flat and mostly on asfalt. And most BBSHDs i've read about seem to run fine on 52v and rugged terrain.

I've tried searching them webs for causes and solutions to this problem and have come up surprisingly empty handed. Almost noone seems to have run into this... REALLY?? I have a hard time believeing i'm the only one with this.

So can anyone of you confirm / deny / draw conclusions or simply muse anything regarding to this problem? Any input or shared stories would be greatly appreciated. What else than just using the motor more lightly could I do to solve this?

// olmen

Sorry guys, I realize this question belongs in the "troubleshooting BBSxx" forum. I can't find a way to move it =/ Maybe some helpful admin can move it where it belongs?

Comment

I'm not sure vbulletin even can move posts

Comment

The first BBSHD had the Anderson connectors, now changed to spade connectors. That may well be the problem. Make sure the Anderson's metal tabs a properly and fully inserted. That's usually the failure with them. OR change the connectors.

While not the same anderson the technique is the same for un doing the connections. I prefer soldered over crimped and actually do both when using them now.

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Just google Anderson connectors for videos and all sorts of help in understab=nding how they fail and how to repair or eliminate.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I saw it looked like the spade connectors are only on the phase wires?

• Louis
          Louis commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, yes.

Thank you Louis for the tip on the problem with andersons!! It got me thinking...

I know there are spade connectors between the controller and motor. BUT there are andersons between the battery and controller. So maybe they are the ones which are loose? If they disconnect only very temporarily it wouldn't necessarily cause the system to shut down right away. I've noticed for example that when braking the power from the battery to the controller, the display stays powered on for approximately 1-2 seconds. But if they are coming slightly loose from bumps in the road, then reconnecting again - causing temporary brown outs in the system the display might appear to be working while the electronics keeping track of the motor position could most definitely go hay wire. Or at least i wouldn't be totally surprised if it did.

This is me just thinking "out loud" :P Maybe it's complete mumbo. But it wouldn't replacing the andersons between the battery and controller with some solder and see if that wouldn't help =)

Comment

Olmen,
          ​I recently had a problem with that very same connector. After approx. 30mile ride in 90 degree weather, my BBSHD quit working. Thought I'd fried the controller for sure, even though I monitor the controller temp, and kept it below 130 degree Far. Cracked it open at home, and when I pulled that connector, one pin, the "+ "pin came up off the board! an obvious 'cold' solder joint, I resoldered the pin an all was well.

Comment

• olmen
            olmen commented
            Editing a comment
            Rix, I'm not sure I completely understand - are you saying that the +wire for the hall sensors was loose on the motor side? I'm not super-duper surprised that there are some sloppy solder points on this model =) Good information to have confirmed, tho. Seems my Black Betty will have a proper introduction to the soldering iron tonite!

It's not a + wire, it's a pin. There are five pins on the motor side and the connector pushes down on them. The pins solder connection was either improperly soldered at the factory, or came loose from heat. That kind of heat would likely fry FETs, so I'm betting on the former! If you try to repair it, be advised that you really have to pull the motor to get to it. Even then you'll need three hands! you're soldering iron should also have a very fine point, and be no more than about 40 watts. Everything in there is kinda delicate so be real careful and check your work.

Comment

Originally posted by olmen View Post
            ...I've built this totally bad*ss maaf full suspension fatbike with a BBSHD and 52v...
            Let's see some pictures of your bike!

Comment

• olmen
              olmen commented
              Editing a comment
              hey yeah why not =)

I should do a proper introduction of myself and my baby in the newcomer's subforum. Just waiting for the weather to clear so i can get some nice pix.

Success!!

tl;dr - if anyone has a similar 08 error pointing towards hall sensor abnormalities - check the connectors and wires on the motor side. If you're lucky the male-conenctor has just become loose. If unlucky the pins themselves might be loose. A perfect opportunity to put those soldering skills to use!

Pulled the baby apart yesterday and soldered the phase wires and battery wires. Still didn't work.

So I opened the motor side, and like Rix said - the hall sensor connector was indeed quite loose. Perhaps it's been loose-ish since manufacturing and all those bumps in the road has slowly made is shake loose completely. This is probably where the actual problem was but at least now i know those other wires that i soldered wont give me trouble in the future. So I veeery carefully added some solder to where the pins connect with the board. Lo and behold - she came alive again!

Also, I removed that white chewing-gum smelling silicon from the factory and used hotglue to secure the connector. I'm not sure this is the best solution tbh. The hotglue might well come loose if there is significant heat inside the motor. Time will tell. I shall have her opened up in a week or so again to see how everything is doing.

Anyhoos everything is working perfectly again. The BBSHD is a beautiful beast. Did 57 km/h on my ride to work today while everyone else was stuck in the morning rush hour **hysterical laughter** =) =)

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Congrats Olmen! Ride it like you stole it!

Comment

Well DONE!! Remember that when opening these motors up there is a gasket. Make certain to not damage. For some reason they are unobtanium!

Comment

Man I know that's right! They're like real delicate too! I've almost torn my controller gasket in two, holding it together with silicon for now till I get a new one.

Comment

Let us know where you find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
                      Let us know where you find one.
                      Can't you just use a gasket compound?

Comment

I imagine you could. I ad a conversation with a repair shop and he mentioned a detail in the design that might make a difference. I need to find my spare and confirm before commenting.

Comment

• Rix Ryds
                          Rix Ryds commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Please do let us know, I've been wondering the same thing. I don't see why you couldn't, but then I didn't engineer it either!
                      Working...
                      X