Brake tab mounted motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake tab mounted motor

Not in production yet. I saw it on NewAtlas, at the link. Motor mounts to rear brake caliper tab. It uses a proprietary disk rotor with teeth around it for a gear drive arrangement. Battery mounts to the bottle cage. What appeals to me, is that you can use any rear wheel with it as long as it has the standard six bolt disk mount.
    https://newatlas.com/bicycles/elevat...in-bike-motor/
    "I need another SimuLatte"

That Elevate unit is a cool idea, but I have several MAJOR issues with it.

First, is that the swingarm is aluminum. With all that extra weight and lateral load, I would seriously worry about those brake tabs cracking. The motor will also go through some serious abuse when the suspension jacks. The battery is pretty small too, at only 250Wh, we are talking about 5 Ah at 40-60V. With a price tag of $2000, that just does not seem like a good value.

Jose

Comment

The article says, "[the] Elevate is made specifically for use on mountain bikes" - I don't see the same said on the actual vendor website. I wondered, "why the market limitation"? To me, the road leisure/commuter market might be a better fit.

Two other thoughts:
      1. As is tradition, I think they've way overblown the range and speed capabilities - 750 watts? 28mph? That motor? Sure, if lightening strikes it while going down hill. And, one long hill should kill that battery but good
      2. The single unit price ($2k "installed") - $500 off per motor if you buy a sheep-load of 'em
      Last edited by ncmired; 09-20-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Agree with the above. It just looked like a huge improvement over the old Currie/E-zip system I have used.
        -Rear tire changes were a real project with the old Currie/E-zip, with the clamp-on motor mount and second chain.
        "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

Working...
        X