What is walk mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is walk mode?

I see mention of walk mode when talking about E bikes and their displays and controls. What the heck is that? Seems like on my BBSHD's I have occasionally been trying to reset the trip odometer ahd briefly seen a P pop up and the motor has kicked for a second. What the heck is that for? Is walk mode maybe let the throttle work when not pedaling for those that are programed to prevent that?

I believe it is to allow walking next the bike , and have the bike slowly "power" next to you at like 4mph . I think you hold down maybe the "-" button on keypad continuously.
    definitely not meant for use while mounted on the bike . A super low power low speed function .
    I guess this is based on the weight of ebikes .

Comment

It's a mode where when you press a button it moves the bike at some preset slow speed

I find it pretty much unusable since you can't control the speed - much easier just to use the throttle

YMMV

Comment

On my X-1 you get there by pressing "-" while in assist mode 0 (little walking symbol is displayed), then holding down "-" after that. You don't really need to use it under most circumstances, but there are some situations where it's actually quite invaluable.

I use mine to get up my steep building stairs without carrying the bike at a super awkward angle. Between the walk mode, and some weight on the seat for traction, the bike climbs the stairs itself. For the purposes of getting up obstacles in situations where simply pushing along the bike doesn't work, the slow steady speed is perfect.
        Last edited by eskachig; 10-31-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Walk mode is nice for steep climbs that aren't rideable. On my display it is accessed by holding the " - " button on the switch unit. I think Walk speed can be adjusted with the pas levels.
          It's also good for places where you have to walk the bike.

Comment

With a properly setup throttle I see zero value for walk mode...

Comment

I tried it today on some steps with a track for bikes up the side and it just wasn't easy to hold the button on the 500c. On the second step run I just used the throttle and it worked fine.

Comment

The biggest challenge I find with walk mode is that it is fixed speed and for some cases like going up something rough and steep it's way too fast and for just walking along the smooth surface not so much

Having to push a little button doesn't help either

I've seen poorly setup throttles that would be a bear to try and use for "walk mode" but properly setup they are a much better way to apply low speed power IMO

Comment

I have the stock universal throttle and as far as I know have stock programming and I didn't have any issues climbing the steps with the bike in a track. I did it the same way as I do when I'm riding where I rest the side of my thumb on the body part and just roll a little bit to move the lever. Keeping pressure on the body park and just rolling my thumb a bit lets me make slight moves which a lot of people seem to say is impossible on that cheap stock unit. Maybe my program isn't stock? But all 3 of my system including the one I bought from Luna this summer act the same.

I can't quite imagine which display setup would work well for walk mode unless you had it set just for that with the buttons facing down so you could get them with your thumb. I just don't see how you could hold the bar and press the button at the same time other than having the buttons down?

Comment

Working...
                  X