Throttle Preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Preference?

What type of throttle control do you prefer on your eBike, and why? Which side of the handlebars do you prefer to have it on?

Thumb left side. I originally had it on the right but I find I almost never use it. So instead of having my shifter upside down it was moved to the left.

Comment

Twist throttle on the right side, just like a motorcycle. The front brake is over there too: I'm too old to learn new habits. I tried the upside down shifter on the left side, but I think I will move it to the right and see how it works.

Comment

I've seen more accidents with twist throttles than any other. Perhaps ol motorcycle guys can't adapt. but I did. I was forever forgetting to turn off my system and when moving the bike i'd inadvertently test the throttle and had several near accidents. I went to the left thumb, the improved model, and am glad I did. In my experience answering hundreds if not thousands of emails, I found that the left thumb was often the
        preferred where users had tried others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.28.39 PM.png
Views:	573
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	11884 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 6.30.50 PM.png
Views:	517
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	11885

Comment

Left side under bar (ape hangers) thumb throttle. I've ridden motorcycles & bicycles most my life although both have taken a sabbatical last 15 yrs. I may never ride motorcycles again but ebikes have brought bicycles back into my life :D

Comment

Right thumb throttle mounted on the end of my tadpole's right handlebar and I'm glad I went with it. Being able to throttle however far I want without moving my hands is a huge plus for me, especially on the bumpy roads around my neighborhood where having a constant firm grip is key.

Comment

Left thumb - used to have the same as Louis but have switched to the vertical one and I prefer it as it seems easier to keep a firm hold of the grips.

Comment

I'm using the "Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle" that came from Luna with my BBS02. I seldom use it (prefer to pedal) but when I do I've always been a little disappointed in how "snatchy" it is. Power comes on suddenly after about 25% of its range. I'm wondering if it is a characteristic of this throttle or if the 1.1v to 3.5v range that I'm using in my controller programming is the culprit. Anybody have any personal experience improving the "smoothness" or progressiveness of their throttle?

Comment

• DCMoore
                  DCMoore commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That snatch is because the throttle is set to 'speed'. When set that way the throttle % is a % of your maximum speed. So, it goes full power until you hit that speed. Go in and change the setting to 'power' and it will behave smoothly like a motorcycle does. The 'power' setting make the %throttle %max power be applied. So, if you have your max power set OEM at 1kw, then pressing the throttle 25% will give you 250w at any speed. Far better and smoother.

Edit: Changing this setting requires the programming cable.

Definitely a difference in throttles and response. I find the type I now use as the most responsive and the universal to be not the least desirable. The type that came with the original kits and common with most kits vary from throttle to throttle IME. But are better than the one universal I've tried.vary from throttle to throttle IME. But are better than the one universal I've tried.

This is perhaps the most common found in all the Luna hub kits as well. Can be sticky and they seem to vary in responsiveness. I like the action of the universal in terms of the mechanical function, but not the electrical response. The left or right thumb pictured by me above seems to me to be the most responsive and consistent. It used to be called the Upgrade Throttle by many sellers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 10.34.14 AM.png
Views:	503
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	11935

Comment

Thx LL. I was considering that one. (Comes up on the Luna site if I search "throttles". Apparently in stock. ) But it looks like it comes minus the HIGO connector. Bit of a hassle.

Pretty sure that's what my friend has on his older Luna BBS02. His is much smoother than mine.

Comment

• Louis
                    Louis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If it doesn't have Higo, don't bother. Damn if that company, Higo, doesn't suck for getting connectors out of them. MOQ's, bank drafts, and exchange rates make them goofy expensive.

Originally posted by skymon View Post
                  I'm using the "Bafang BBSxx Universal Thumb Throttle" that came from Luna with my BBS02. I seldom use it (prefer to pedal) but when I do I've always been a little disappointed in how "snatchy" it is. Power comes on suddenly after about 25% of its range. I'm wondering if it is a characteristic of this throttle or if the 1.1v to 3.5v range that I'm using in my controller programming is the culprit. Anybody have any personal experience improving the "smoothness" or progressiveness of their throttle?
                  I have a Luna twist throttle on the right side - I wanted a half-twist, but ended up with a full-twist as the half were OOS at the time. I'm a dirt biker, so that was fine, and I'm planning to swap my brake lines too - backwards bike brakes are confusing. I don't think throttle type matters much, since they are fairly binary in function in my experience. I increased the upper voltage range to the max (4.2V, I think) and it's a little better - if I really concentrate, I can hold somewhere around mid power, but there isn't nearly enough control to modulate speed directly using it. For all practicality, it's either 30A or 0A. OTOH, these e-bikes seem to be set up to generate a certain amount of power, and you just ride at a speed that is commensurate with that power level. I generally use pedal assist (which also produces a fixed amperage) but like to use the throttle for a quick full-power burst for going up a hill, or when holding it pinned going for new land-speed records on the way back down.
                  I was standing up, holding the throttle pinned with the bike doing donuts around me to impress some onlookers once, and my wrist got into a position where I couldn't release the throttle. I ended up having to let go with my throttle hand completely to release the throttle, so maybe there is something to the half-twist throttles after all. Made for an exciting finish.
                  Last edited by JayC; 07-15-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Lance Tesla
                    Lance Tesla commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My twist throttles are the 1/2 size type and they match up well with a Twistgrip shifter on the left side for an IGH. IME using the tip of my thumb and two fingers is all it takes to modulate the power when transitioning from PAS to throttle on a hill. With practice you can make the application of power seamless when taking over from a set PAS level. I think that having the drivetrain already lightly loaded from PAS 1-3 keeps the shockloads down when going to full power at a lower speed where the torque is the greatest.

Left thumb throttle for me, on 3 different rides.

Good timing on this topic for me, I have about 50 miles on my new BBSHD Montague build, with a Rohloff hub. As of now, it is nowhere as smooth and controllable, as my BBSO2 Montague (that I just sold today) or my other BBSHD fatbike ride. I have been pondering whether this is due to the programming (I just ride them as is...) OR a function of the throttle itself. I just took a short final ride on my old BBSO2, (sold it to another pilot to haul around in his plane) and the start up from a stop was, as always, just silky smooth (using throttle only), and fully controllable. The new ride seems to kick in, making for a rough start, and it is almost impossible to ride it super slow.

It just occurred to me that I have another throttle (maybe 2) in the shop, and it will be easy enough to swap out and see what happens. But, since when in PAS on the new ride, I find it always outpacing me, I can't contribute, and I always end up just moving my legs but with no push against the pedals, it's assisting too much. I think my programming is screwed up, why it would be so different from my other two Bafang motors, all bought from Luna, I have no idea. At first the newness of the Rohloff hub distracted me from getting a handle on the problem, I want it as smooth as my other two rides, smooth and controllable.

Comment

I just put on the right side twist throttle and I like it. I'm an old dirt bike rider and also like the rear brake on the left and front brake on the right. I had the universal throttle on the right, it worked fine, but I like the right twist better. My bbshd has a hard hitting start to the throttle, with either one. It's the same, whack! when it kicks in. I try to minimize it , it putts around slowly pretty well. Much slower then PAS #1, nice! but I would like to get into the programming and soften the initial start if possible. Otherwise the stock programs is fine with me. I guess i need to buy a prog. cord and study some more. Any advice to program a softer start? thanks, e-rod

Comment

I apologize for the indirect answer, but I find the thumb throttle isn't a WHACK start. But it's the left hand throttle shown above.

Comment

I've only got 27 miles or so on my first build so take that into account. I have the universal thumb throttle mounted on the left side because I didn't want to swap my twist shift over. I've used the throttle once, just to see what I could get out of it and have only used PAS since. I do like it on the left side and it's set up so my thumb pushes down to increase speed, seems quite comfortable short term, I imagine if I was always on it my thumb would get tired.

Comment

Working...
                        X