Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much better stability do you get with low mounted batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much better stability do you get with low mounted batteries?

Right now my trike's battery sits high on the rack and in my mind contributes quite a bit in terms of center of gravity (CoG). I want to be able to take turns faster but leaning against such as CoG is only goes so far for me. I've twice nearly tipped over turning quickly, both times at less 6mph. I figure putting it down low might help me with that, but just how well does it work and where's the best spot if so?

I was surprised at how little the 8 pounds of battery on a rack affected the ride of my bike. However, the obvious best place is as close to the bottom bracket as possible, since that is where all of your weight is. If you're talking about that spiffy thing in the picture, I'd put the battery right between the front wheels as low as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by JayC View Post
      I was surprised at how little the 8 pounds of battery on a rack affected the ride of my bike. However, the obvious best place is as close to the bottom bracket as possible, since that is where all of your weight is. If you're talking about that spiffy thing in the picture, I'd put the battery right between the front wheels as low as possible.
      Yea, the front wheel's where the pivot would be in a tip over, so it makes sense to put weight it there.

If you mean that thing in my avatar that's spiffy looking it's just something I found to be pretty cool, an Elio. My real trike's nowhere that nice, haha.

Comment

Working...
      X