Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who else has more than 500 miles on their BBSHD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who else has more than 500 miles on their BBSHD?

Anyone? Seems like most people here only do short test rides, spending more time splitting hairs online than actually riding their bikes.

Who's been out really riding, and how has your motor performed?

Still fast and silent after 1k miles.

Comment

I love to do short test rides, no more than 30 or 40 miles at a time! Yea, I'm past 500! That BBSHD still impresses me and anyone I let ride it! Ordered another for build number 2! The only problem I have encountered was after a 30 mile 'test' ride, I had been hauling a trailer in the heat and thought I fried my controller. Turns out it was a poor solder joint on a connector in the controller. A little solder work and I was up and going in no time. Went out the next day and did a bit over 50 miles just to 'test' it!
      ​

Comment

+2000 miles. No problems so far with the BBSHD. I do a lot of steep climbs with a fat bike and I weigh a lot. I had multiple problems with the BBS-02 doing the same rides.

Comment

Only 3 people? So far we've worn out 3 different BBSHD units in less than 6 months. Same gear noise developed around 500 miles in all 3. My girlfriend only weighs 100 lbs, with just a 10ah battery. These things are advertised as HD heavy duty, but not so compared to a hub motor. Not sure how people keep speculating the BBSHD can probably handle way more than 30 amps. Gets pretty hot running 30 amps continuous, and starts to wear out/need servicing in less than 40 rides. No one else here has noticed this? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=28&t=58898

Comment

• Louis
            Louis commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm confused you linked to 2014 problems with a BBS02. I had dozens of customers who were piling the miles on including pedicabs. The last posts are from someone who may well have gotten water in the motor, BBS02 not HD. There's no reports of mass failures. Where are you buying the BBSHD from? Can you describe what failed? How are you using the motor? So far you're just taking a random poke.

• CraigAustin
            CraigAustin commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been riding hard in 100 degree heat & humidity all summer, motor gets a little hot but nothing crazy.

• Tbro
            Tbro commented
            Editing a comment
            That ES thread is 30 pages long, all the way up till current. The noisy gear sound reported by lots of other people is what I'm referring to. Bought from LunaCycle. Using the motors for daily recreational riding.

Nope i have sold thousands of them and have not noticed this ...they are like sherman tanks..... reliable as all hell.... are you riding in the rain? if your drive is making noise at most all you need to do is take it a part and grease it.....

Comment

Join Strava - Best way to see how fast, far and frequently we are riding.
            Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting. A Strava companion to the electric bike forum, http://electricbike.com/forum/
            Last edited by osmaster; 08-02-2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
              Nope i have sold thousands of them and have not noticed this ...they are like sherman tanks..... reliable as all hell.... are you riding in the rain? if your drive is making noise at most all you need to do is take it a part and grease it.....

No, we're not riding in the rain. Not going underwater through rivers either. We're here in So Cali where it's dry.

Any idea why all 3 of our motors would need to be taken apart and serviced at such low mileage?

We haven't been that hard on them, unless riding frequently, at top speed, while pedaling aggressively counts. A heavy duty reliable motor should be able to handle that.

Can you link an article or video detailing this greasing procedure? I've been closely following this blog, waiting for an update: https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/1...and-not-heard/

Karl hasn't yet recommended that this be done to the BBSHD. Seems not a lot of people have put that many miles on the BBSHD yet.

Comment

I just greased mine at 200 miles. I just received the Luna Eclipse in the mail and while changing the sprocket, I pulled it apart and greased it. It took about 15 minutes.
                1. Remove crank arm.
                2. Remove sprocket.
                3. Remove cover inside the sprocket.
                4. Remove freewheel from the shaft using a flat blade screw driver.
                5. Grease freewheel ( grease where the freewheel goes in the center of the cover. Squeeze the 3 pawls (spring loaded tabs) and slide freewheel in to the cover.
                6. Grease the big black gear (just the teeth) in the cover.
                7.. Grease the teeth on the small gear that the big gear mated up with.
                8. Clean gasket surfaces with clean rag and wipe gasket clean.
                9. Put gasket back on and line up with alignment pins.
                10. Slide cover on by hand and wiggle crank arm on opposing side until the cover slides all the way closed. ( Do not force it on, must align the gears to mesh by hand til the cover is all the way butted up with gasket and face of unit.
                11. Put bolts in and tighten.
                12. Replace sprocket and crank arm.

Comment

Over 1300 miles here, no noises. The heaviest load on the motor is riding at high speed uphill. Whenever seeing high current, heat is proportional to current squared. Riding in the dirt at low speed using the right gearing doesn't heat the motor much at all. Riding in warm ambient temperatures will make the motor run hotter. Running the gearbox hot will shorten the life of the grease, and possibly the nonmetal gear.
                Alan B

Comment

• Tbro
                  Tbro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Running the motor at 30 amps continuous, 35+mph as advertised, definitely generates a lot of heat, apparently wearing out the stock grease in as little as 500 miles.

• Alan B
                  Alan B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  35+ is pushing it fairly hard. I did that once for a brief burst, but generally run 25 or so. I wonder if the stock grease is optimal for high temperature continuous running. Could be that better lubricants would solve your problems. I suspect very few people run them at 35+ all the time. What is wearing out? Have you been able to replace the parts?

• Tbro
                  Tbro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When people talk about the BBSHD as being HD heavy duty, able to do 30 amps continuous all day long, and probably way more than 30 amps, I'm assuming the motor is good for more than just a quick test burst. 30 amps continuous to me means at least a 10 mile ride minimum. From the sales page:
                  'The BBSHD has proven itself to be reliable even at high power levels. The BBS02 had serious issues running for sustained periods at peak power, but this is not a problem with the BBSHD. The BBSHD can put out 1500W all day long without breaking a sweat.' I don't see any mention of, 'hey take it easy', or any kind of maintenance schedule. What is wearing out? That is the question.
                  Last edited by Tbro; 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM.

Tbro,
                Yes I used the same gasket. I inspected the old gasket and it was in great shape. No signs of it being squished in any one area and no tears. Since it is grease inside the gasket l am not worried about it leaking out. I also keep an eye on it. Now the freewheel is virtually silent and now I a little bit more about the unit.

Comment

750 miles and counting. Only problem has been motor lock nut needing retightening because I didn't have a tool to fit it the first time.

Comment

I commute about 550 mi/month when it is decent weather and 300 mi/month when it is not. I would say I have close to 3k on my BBSHD and it runs quiet, strong and very smooth. I have a NuVinci N360 IGH btw that is also running well. (note: i shift it like a car or any other vehicle, not starting off the line in the tallest gear etc.)

Comment

Advertising copy might be a bit optimistic, but with proper maintenance it might handle 30A near continuously. Of course you'll probably go through a lot of bike chains and cogs, too. No one said a mid drive was less maintenance than a hubmotor. DD Hubmotors are hard to beat for low maintenance, but they are big and heavy and don't have the low end torque of a mid drive through the gearing. It is nice to have choices.
                    Alan B

Comment

• Tbro
                      Tbro commented
                      Editing a comment
                      First thing to go was the poorly cast 11t cog on the Sunrace 11-42, skipping on the freehub. Upgraded to a Shimano 11t, much better. Haven't come close to breaking any chains though. Yeah my heavy direct drive hub motor has been going strong for over 5 years. Thousands of maintenance free miles.

• Alan B
                      Alan B commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Watch the chain wear, measure it often, chain stretch will ruin the cogs if chain not replaced soon enough.

I have about 600 miles on my BBHSD in about 1.5 months. About half of that is pulling my daughter on a half bike trailer. I take it pretty easy on the motor though. I ride all on flat, paved roads except for the short road overpasses. I want to get exercise so am only using PAS 1 out of 9. Looking at the display, I'm only using about 300 watts. I have the Luna Eclipse 42T and when starting from a stop, usually and in the middle gear in back. My average speed is about 16 mph when pulling the trailer and max out at about 22 mph. I don't go much faster when riding myself, commenting to work, averaging about 18 and maxing out about 23 mph.

I've been very happy with the motor and haven't had any problems. This motor has enabled me to ride instead of driving when needing to pick up my daughter from various places and also my commenting to and from work.

Comment

Working...
                    X