Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are e bikes and electric bikes the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are e bikes and electric bikes the same?

From what i understand you have to pedal with an e-bikeThank you all for your responses and help.

jiofi.local.html
    http://router-network.onl but you don't with an electric bike but i am not sure about that.

Last edited by David26; 03-13-2021, 11:37 PM.

E bike is just an abbreviation for an electric bike. As far as pedaling or not they vary on that. Some have throttles, some don't. Almost all add assist when you pedal. PAS is relative to how hard you pedal, cadence type adds a fixed assist when the pedals move. The level of assist is almost always variable. The 2 main types are hub motor which is a simple electric wheel swap, or the more complex mid drive which sends power through the bicycle chain to use whatever transmission the bike has.

Comment

Differences in terminology are usually because of local or state ordinances. In California we have several specific descriptions and laws about two wheeled vehicles.

The basic rules of the road contained in the California Vehicle Code apply to all two-wheel vehicles including, but not limited to, motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, mopeds, or motorized bicycles. Minibikes, tote-goats, trail bikes, and similar vehicles may fall within the definition of motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle. If any of these vehicles are operated […]

Some Sur-Ron riders add the pedals to try and skate by as motorized bicycles.

Jose

Comment

Ebike is electric bike. Can be throttle bikes but some people include pedelecs under this too.

Comment

Absolutely the same. I had another question whether throttle bikes (A throttle allows you to pedal or just kick back and enjoy a “free” ride.) are qualified to be under e bikes and it appears they are.

Comment

• 73Eldo
            73Eldo commented
            Editing a comment
            As a general term it all falls under e bike but if you are talking legality and if and where you are allowed to ride most of the time if there is or isn't a throttle is an important distinction so you do need to check the rules for the specific area you plan to ride.

Originally posted by larryjchurch View Post
          Absolutely the same. I had another question whether throttle bikes (A throttle allows you to pedal or just kick back and enjoy a “free” ride.) are qualified to be under e bikes and it appears they are.
          It's entirely a state-by-state thing

The US defines three classes

Class 1 = no throttle, PAS-only operation - 20mph max and 750W max (is ok to be limited electrically or through firmware)
          Class 2 = has throttle, PAS or throttle operation - 20mph max and 750W max (is ok to be limited electrically or through firmware)
          Class 3 = has throttle and can have throttle-only operation (still must have pedals) - 28mph max and 750W max (is ok to be limited electrically or through firmware)

There's also class 4 which has higher power and meant to be a moped equivilant

However every state is a bit different and some adopt these standards and some don't... sometime there are city or other regional laws that effect where and how they are used and classified. Most federal public land (aside from nation parks) like national forests and BLM land consider them electric vehicles although they don't really enforce it many places

E.g. Arizona considers class 1 and class 2 to be the same as a regular bicycle as to where and how it's used but Tempe has more restrictions

Comment

The Europeans have coined the term Pedelec for faster Ebikes up to 45kph which is about 28mph I guess. Their Ebikes tend to be regulated to 250-350W. So for us their Pedelec rated parts would be of more interest. I guess Pedelec is an electric Moped.

Comment

Of course, electric bicycles offer many of the same benefits that regular cycling does but because you've got an added bit of oomph on board, you'll be able to travel greater distances and ride for longer. They'll also allow you to go faster than most cyclists and in some cases cars.

Comment

What do you call an Electric Motorcycle? Motorcycle sites often call them ebikes.
                "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Q. What do you call an Electric Motorcycle?

A. Electric moto[rcycle]

I've never seen anything electric that resembles a streetworthy ICE moto called an ebike

OTOH there are very light electric motos that blur the lines but they're nothing even close to what Zero or Energica, etc. street legal offerings... even the KTM off-road motos are still not being called by anyone an electric bike

Exception is there a lot of people that call all motos bikes... even 800+lb full dress tourers... after having dozens of motos I learned a long time ago that bikes are bikes and motos are motos are that calling a moto a bike is just bad grammer

What you do call the thing that makes a gas powered motorcycle go? Is that an engine or motor? Its called a internal combustion engine but its not called an engine cycle? Wait there is the Otto cycle? Now I'm really confused.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                  Retrorockit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ebikes are bicycles with electric motors. Legally in the US this stops at 750W/ 1hp power and 28mph speed. Other local rules may apply.
                  Pedelec = electric Moped. usually 2hp/1500W limit. Registration often required, but usually no operators license/insurance. A low level street vehicle.
                  In some states no transmission allowed. So big hubmotors to meet the rule.

Electric motorcycles are motor vehicles.No power or speed limits different than other motorcycles.License,registration and insurance will be needed unless off road use only (dirt bikes).
                  Scooters are step through motorcycles with floorboards, and dash boards for better weather protection. Vespa is one of the common brands.
                  Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-06-2021, 09:19 AM.
              Working...
              X